handmade

Home Forum Bike Forum handmade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • handmade
  • Premier Icon porter_jamie
    Subscriber

guy’s

the view

mcmoonter

Shand’s are drooltastic. I’m scared to pay the dude a visit.

Jamie

When I win the lottery, I am going to get a Shand Stoater with all electronic/hydro trickery.

I will also allocate some budget to pay off those in the build queue ahead of me, to let me cut in.

thepodge

I know the venue is massive but it doesn’t look that busy in the pic above

Premier Icon porter_jamie
    Subscriber

we got there quite early, by the time we left it was quite busy

Premier Icon porter_jamie
    Subscriber

i want a stoater
    like this

but this colour

avdave2

I loved the Titchmarsh which won best off road bike, that really was a bit special.
    I had a good chat with Matt from 18 bikes who was full of good info and advice. The Rohloff stand decided me for certain that I won’t be converting mine to a belt drive at any point and I also had a good chat with the guys from Enigma. I had kind of ruled out a ti build but I’m now wavering. Good job I’ve got a year to start saving before I embark on my I’ve hit 50 mid life crisis. Still cheaper than a sports car or a mistress. 🙂

The Rohloff stand decided me for certain that I won’t be converting mine to a belt drive at any point

Could I ask why? I like the idea of a belt drive – no chain gunk, no chain stretch to deal with on a SS or hubgear setup, longer drivetrain life. So, assuming I have a split frame (I don’t!), what issues should I be aware of that I am currently not – this is a genuine plee for help, not a troll!

I know that if I snap my belt, I am in a mess, but what are the other issues? Or are they just issues with Rohloff hubs?

Cheers, Rob

i want a stoater
    like this

but this colour

Those 2 frames are actually the same. Just different buildkits. All Stoaters are now compatible with derailleur, singlespeed or IGH (Rohloff) transmissions.

The Rohloff stand decided me for certain that I won’t be converting mine to a belt drive at any point

interesting to hear thoughts on this too.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Don’t get the appeal with Shand, they look like every other steel frame in the photos, with boring finishes.

Premier Icon bedmaker
    Subscriber

Don’t get the appeal with Shand, they look like every other steel frame in the photos, with boring finishes.

You tell ’em! Raw carbon FTW

avdave2

Could I ask why? I like the idea of a belt drive – no chain gunk, no chain stretch to deal with on a SS or hubgear setup, longer drivetrain life. So, assuming I have a split frame (I don’t!), what issues should I be aware of that I am currently not – this is a genuine plee for help, not a troll!

The guy showed me a worn rear carrier, you could have shaved with it it was that sharp. It wouldn’t do much for the belt. The ally ones have now been replaced with steel and Gates want you to run a snubber so by the time you then add in the extra weight to both split the frame and make it stiff enough to meet Gates requirements you haven’t saved any weight. I get 3 years out of a chain on my Rohloff and that’s on an all year round off road commuter. I just use any old oil on it and give it the occasional wipe over. So in all the only advantage is that the drivetrain is cleaner – well in terms of oil – it’s still going to be covered in mud.
    The only issue specific to the Rohloff is that you need a bigger size difference between the front and rear carrier than say on a pinion gearbox where they can be of a similar size. That isn’t so good for the belts life. There may also be an issue of belt tension causing premature wear with the Rohloff bearings but Rohloff themselves don’t seem to be too concerned about it.
    It’s a shame because I really wanted the belt drive system to work and initially thought it could be a great way to get the weight of a Rohloff drivetrain down to be closer to a conventional system. I think if it does have a future then it’s with commuter bikes. Still even if you do try it with a Rohloff you can always go back to a chain if you want to in the future.
    If I were buying a new Shand then I would still be tempted to try it – as I say could always go back. However I won’t be going to the expense of a conversion of my frame and hub for marginal if any gains.

bencooper

Are people running belts to save weight? I thought the advantage was an oil-free very low maintenance drive?

avdave2

Are people running belts to save weight?

When I first looked at it that was the main attraction. Gates sold the whole 2 carriers and belt as weighing the same as a chain. As you know as well as anyone a chain on a Rohloff is already very low maintenance. In the worst of the winter weather my bike needs about 2 minutes of maintenance a week on the drivechain and its used every day off road. I and the bike are plastered in mud twice a day so saving a bit of oil doesn’t seem like a great advantage. Could be good for an on road commuter bike though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘handmade’ is closed to new replies.