Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Handlebar widths
  • DaveE

With the current trend for 700mm plus bars.
    What are the opinions of STW forum readers.
    Is there any bar extensions available to just increase width of existing bars,

trailmonkey

😯

grumm
    Free Member

Is there any bar extensions available to just increase width of existing bars,

Just attach your lock on grips at one end, with most of it sticking out past the bar? 😛

DaveE

Grumm. Have you tried this

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry it was a joke – please don’t do that! There are some cheap wide bars out there by people like Funn if you want to give them a try.

DaveE

Had a wild thought of extending using a piece of cut off bar and some sort of wedge like hope head doctor to link both sections together.
    Got some raceface atlas 725mm bars for FS but wanted to achieve same on HT .

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

There are some handlebar extendors available. They were in dirt a while back, I don’t know the name and they’re quite weighty though.

I’ve run 710 for 4 years on my hardtail and that’s great for rad stuff. I run 740 on the bouncy bike and certainly wouldn’t want that sort of width on most trails, it’s OTT.

ahwiles
    Free Member

ooh! – i love a good ‘width thread!

760 on my Dh/daft bike – and it’s great.

760 on my daft hardtail/xc bike – and it’s probably a bit too much if i’m honest.

440 on my road bike – i tried 420’s and it was like trying to steer a door.

bmx? – haven’t the slightest idea.

yes – you can buy extenders – for about the same price as a new set of handlebars…

(i’ve got long arms – wide bars are one recent ‘trend’ that i’m very grateful for)

martymac

ive got 440s on my road bike, like em,
    and 680s on my hardtail, and if im honest, not wide enough.

Trimix
    Free Member

I ride XC and general mucking about. I feel most comfortable on 800mm. Even then i hold the bars at the ends.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I have 720 on my FS and 685 on my HT, which I use mainly for commuting. The HT also has bar ends.

neninja
    Free Member

680 on the Helius CC – would be happier to go to about 710mm I reckon

bilberryhunter
    Free Member

It’s all relative to the width of your shoulders, so it’s all relative to each individual riders build.

tazzymtb

do you lot not ride anywhere with tight tree lined singletrack?

DaveE

Nothing too narrow unless you think Chase tight singletrack.

tazzymtb

my 700’s on the single speed don’t down some of the cheeky trails, 685’s on the other bikes just squeak through.

It seems a very odd fashion to have massive boom handles for bars where for most riders it’s just overkill

iain1775
    Free Member

I experimented with bar width by replacing my handlebar with a 1.2m length of copper piping from B&Q, I then gradually cut it down until I got to the optimum width*

*not really

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like my nukeproofs but they are a bit wide for comfort, great on techy stuff, but on all day rides and level singletrack i usualy end up wishing for my old eastons.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Not really, riding in the woods is shit when there’s rocks to be had.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

680 plenty wide enough for me. wider is uncomfortable and I don’t like smashing my knuckles on trees

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Recently became a victim of fashion and got 720 on my HT. Seems to work ok.

damo2576
    Free Member

When did wide bars become the norm? When I rode in the 90’s we use to cut our bars down as narrow as possible. Now I struggle on anything wider than 600mm.

tony24
    Free Member

i have wide bars and there soon to be cut down they are a pain in the ass. i always clip things down small byways etc and in tight single track they are in the way.

I have also clipped my little finger a few times at full pelt and it kills

xpc316e
    Free Member

I too end up cutting down bars to around 66 cms, as anything wider gives me shoulder pain. Wide bars are a real nuisance in the woods. I reckon the current trend is almost entirely fashion driven. I use Mary bars on one of my bikes and they are very comfortable for me with their distinct rear sweep, but I have never seen another bike with them. We are strange creatures in the way we either slavishly follow fashion, or take pride in ploughing our own furrow.

Edric64
    Free Member

ride XC and general mucking about. I feel most comfortable on 800mm. Even then i hold the bars at the end

You don’t ride off piste in the woods with those on do you?

Andituk
    Free Member

710 seems about right. Never found anything too tight, apart from a bridge at Rivi.

But then, they’re only 12.5mm wider on each side than the standard 685mm on my bike, it’d have to be a bloody tight gap to mean I could fit through with one set and not the other.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I run 710mm on a 2004 Enduro and its transformed it. Before then I was running 640mm bars and now it feels planted and confidence inspiring. Wish I’d done it sooner to be honest.

ashfanman
    Free Member

But then, they’re only 12.5mm wider on each side than the standard 685mm on my bike, it’d have to be a bloody tight gap to mean I could fit through with one set and not the other.

This.

Granted 800mm wide bars might make tight, wooded singletrack a bit of a squeeze, but surely the difference between 660mm and 700-725mm is negligable in real terms? Are people really so precise that they regularly avoid trail obstacles by less than 2cm?

stuey
    Free Member

ashfanman – there’s two places on my local loop where if i forget to ‘slow and wiggle’ -my 720 bars jam solid- luckily nobody has ever seen my elegant stopped dead – “i meant to do that” dismounts.

Andituk
    Free Member

But presumably you’d slow down anyway if you were using narrower bars?

Twin
    Free Member

I use a broom handle for an ultra wide 1200mm super gnarly ultra rad look.

Can’t get the bike out of the house cos the doorway’s too narrow.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Are people really so precise that they regularly avoid trail obstacles by less than 2cm?

going from 685 – 750 on the 456 means i can’t fit through some gaps i used to.

also if i session some twisty DH runs i will be running my endcaps across trees to take tight lines.

i also have smashed my hands on trees. 😥

MrSmith
    Free Member

i too am mystified regarding the current fad for wide bars.
    for super fast DH rock fests then maybe but on the ‘normal’ woodsy singletrack i really can’t see the point and can think of a couple of trails where tree gaps would be too narrow.

the only useful change in bar types (for me) has been getting lower rise bars to put the c-o-g lower over the front and have better weight distribution as fork lengths have lengthened and head angles slackened over the last few years. i guess that’s why you see integrated stem crown’s for DH bikes to lower the bars.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is one bit of trail locally to me that threading between the trees is very hard with wider bars than 700. I hit a tree each side at teh same time with 680s

M6TTF
    Free Member

damo2576 – Member
    When did wide bars become the norm? When I rode in the 90’s we use to cut our bars down as narrow as possible. Now I struggle on anything wider than 600mm.
    POSTED 13 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

snap used to cut down so there was just enough width for shifters brakes and grips – oh how times change! Got 660mm on my fuel ex, felt odd at first – then put some 685mm cnt monkeylites on my 29er, feel perfect, love them to bits, if I could find another pair new for 50quid I’d snap them up!

messiah
    Free Member

I love my wide bars, for a couple of places I ride I have had to learn to “shimmy” them through the narrow gaps… it feels ace when you get it right… which is all the time… I never mess it up anymore… oh no 😆

ds3000
    Free Member

Do you think it would be extremely dangerous to have my lock-on grips a couple of centimetres off the ends of my carbon bars, just for a little extra width?????

Northwind

I seem to be happy anywhere from 680 to 710mm, I’m pretty narrow so I daresay that plays a part. Weirdly my cheapo rigid project is the only bike I have that feels like it needs a 710mm bar, by rights it out to be the hemlock but it’s fine with 680mm.

ds3000 – Member

“Do you think it would be extremely dangerous to have my lock-on grips a couple of centimetres off the ends of my carbon bars, just for a little extra width?????”

I wouldn’t do it for long or for harder riding, but it’s fine just to get a feel for it. IMO of course.

GW
    Free Member

millimeters yes, centimeters no.. both lock-on clamps need to be clamped to the bar or the grip will spin.

lank45
    Free Member

760mm here! Don’t like narrow bars makes me feel like my body’s folding in but I have broad shoulders!! When climbing I shift my hands in sometimes, then on the downs it’s arms wide and away you go. Depends on body size and shoulder width and of course what feels comfy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar widths’ is closed to new replies.