• This topic has 28 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by ransos.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Handlebar canister bags tell what’s good looking at restrap
  • karnali
    Free Member

Looking for a way to carry extra bits and layers on road / gravel bike in winter. Looked at the restrap canister bag can be had for £36. Any other good suggestions and why greatly appreciated

Thanks

thomas132

I’m a big fan of the carradice handlebar bag. Made in the UK, fits a down jacket and tools. Top pocket for phone and wallet. Holding up nicely.

kilo

The restrap is ok, we’ve got one but it’s gone missing somewhere in the house!!! I thought it was a it small tbh.
    We also have the rapha bar bag which is pretty good too (and Mrs kilo has stolen this to replace the missing restrap). Seperate zip front pocket for cash’n’cards. I use the carradice zip up bar bag, which is about the same price as the rapha, it’s a wee bit bigger than the restrap or rapha if that is a factor but I like it. Of them all I’d buy the carradice again and then the rapha, ymmv

winston
    Free Member

The canister bag is ok but Ive found it a bit ‘dangly’ when loaded with anything other than a very light rain jacket and wallet. Personally I find the best piece of the restrap range is the small frame bag. I’ve yet to find a bike it doesn’t fit and it stays rock solid even when overloaded with heavy tools, tubes, phone and wallet. I’ve used it 10 times more than the canister. Only problem is the little o rings that hoks the surplus strap on restrap bags always perish really quickly. Other than that they are very well built and should last a fair few miles.

footflaps

I’ve got a couple of Restrap bags – the small frame bag (or is it medium?) and one of their bar bags. The bar bag is excellent except I can’t mount a light on the bars as the bag sits too high…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nrA4nJ]On-one Free Ranger[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg

PXL_20220927_152134522

Will hopefully finish writing the review on these tomorrow

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Norfee Industries ROR Handlebar Bag (Olive)

Found this works perfectly on both my MTB and gravel bike. Ideal size for a day out and doesn’t move around.

mrb123
    Free Member

Ride Accessories

A few on offer here depending on colours.

jamesfts
    Free Member

CamelChops

These things are bloody ace, hand made in Scotland. You can pick from their stock, pick your colours/prints or they do custom orders. Quality is spot on and they look amazing, I got their Chip frame bag in purple, pink and zombie print – love it and will be ordering more when I can come up with an excuse for needing them!

DrP

i’ve got the restrap cannister – perfect as a ‘small bar bag’ – it ain’t no bikepacking bag for sure..but as a non-obtrusive way of carring a rain jacket and a few other bits, it’s fab.
    I’ve also got the small frame bag.. PROBABLY more useful as it will most certainly fit all ‘triangle’ frame designs… and carries a few L of stuff too.

I leave both on my tripster all year round.

DrP

shermer75
    Free Member

Terra Nova are currently selling off their handlebar bags at a low price

tuboflard

I’ve got a Restrap and a Wizard Works one. Restrap isn’t great when fully loaded as it sags a bit, though largely a cosmetic issue.

Wizard Works one is a fair bit bigger and holds its shape very well with solid inserts at each end. If I had to pick one it would be this.

continuity
    Free Member

Why not a small frame bag. Lighter. Doesn’t flap around. Doesn’t cost you 25W. Can get stuff in an out whilst riding without a faff. Often cheaper.

Downsides: potentially doesn’t help you fit in at your local hipster cycling cafe?

kiwijohn

I didn’t get on with a bar bag.
    I use an Ortlieb half frame bag. Heaps more room & easier to access while you’re riding.
    I did need to add a Topeak alt bottle cage must to drop the seat post cage a bit to a full size bottle under it.

kilo

Jesus, bit worrying that people find a handlebar bag challenging to open whilst riding 😉

bigblackshed

I’ve got a Restrap Canister bag. Just the right size for phone, wallet, keys, tools. It does sag a bit if it’s heavier tat in it, but it’s nicely plump with a pak-a-jacket type affair.

ElShalimo

I’m after one and waiting for the @rocketdog review…..

I want one that doesn’t interfere with lights, bell and GPS mount so dangling below is okay as long as it doesn’t bounce all over the place

anagallis_arvensis

Why not a small frame bag

Why not use pockets?

Alex

Wizard works for me after reading an earlier @rocketdog review.  I like (as poster above) how solid it is. I really like the straps it uses, as I could ‘space’ the bag down a bit to clear lights/cables using the inserts you can buy from them (or make your own). They’re also very helpful / nice people to deal with.

Vax'd to the MAX!

Also the high viz one is VERY high viz!

clubby

I’ve been happy with my Wizard Works as well. Big enough for two tubes, pump, tool, snacks, phone and a thin shell.

Rivett
    Free Member

+1 for the Wizard Works. It just works well when needing to carry a bit more.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m after one and waiting for the @rocketdog review…..

@ElShalimo
    I sat down and wrote this instead of going for a ride!

Bar Bag Grouptest

ElShalimo

I sat down and wrote this instead of going for a ride!

@rocketdog
    – Thanks that’s really helpful !!

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I have a Straight Cut Designs Bagel Bag and I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s secure, stable, accessible and no-sag.

In fact the Wizardworks reviewed above seems to be nigh on identical? I don’t know which came first, or if in fact they’re both copies of something else entirely.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Not used one but from recommendations on facebook I’ve been looking at the jango rolls range but their website/item listings are pretty rubbish and when they post on instagram they dont tell you which flippin’ product it is!

mashr

Wizard Works one is a fair bit bigger and holds its shape very well with solid inserts at each end. If I had to pick one it would be this.

Although worth mentioning that the zip is so narrow it’s tight to get your hand in

thepodge
    Free Member

This is mine, £10 from local army surplus store.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2580/2578/products/brandit-compact-pouch-horizontal-molle-utility-pouch-11cm-x-15cm-tactical-camo-14343875985542_760x760.jpg?v=1630132072

ElShalimo

@podge – is that a tiny purse or are the zips HUGE?

ransos
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the carradice handlebar bag. Made in the UK, fits a down jacket and tools. Top pocket for phone and wallet. Holding up nicely.

It’s very similar to their zipped roll, which is designed as a saddlebag but will also go on the bars. I use mine for audaxes and it works very well.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.