Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Handlebar bungs
  • bsims

I cut down some bonntrager bars for Minis bike, as he was complaining of wrist pain. I thought a different back sweep could help. Anyway, the bars narrow inwards so I have destroyed the bungs trying to refit them. I have bought several replacement – all to big. Does any one have any suggesting for a smaller bore replacement bung or a modification?

The grips are large and block the end with a thick rubber cover but I would like to be extra safe and not risk Mini having a core sample taken in a crash.

With hindsight I should have cut them longer and fitted some lock on grips.

Plastic wine cork. Cut a wedge out if too big or whittle with a sharp knife.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Are they carbon bars?

Some are strengthened in the area that controls would normally clamp. If you’ve cut them down to that area then the controls may now be in a weaker area too.

bsims

Thanks Alex

@ Scotroutes – no alu OE Trek. The wall thickness looks similar and I cut them down to the markers so not too far in. It’s the actual diameter of the bar that is smaller by a several mms.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

get some nylon insert lock-on grips like DMR Deathgrips, they enclose the end of the bar, so no bung required.

More expensive than one pair of bungs but cheaper than several.

Premier Icon csb
    Subscriber

Stick a 2p (or whatever fits) coin inside each grip to block the end.

bsims

Thanks csb.
    @nedrapier – because I have cut the bars down to 560, all the lock on grips I can find are too long and push the controls too far inboard.

Premier Icon lister
    Subscriber

I heat the bungs up with a lighter then whack them in when they’re soft.

PJay

Some of these perhaps? It looks as if they’re designed so that they can be trimmed down to fit BMX bars (which I assume are narrower diameter).

whitestone

OK, men cross your legs, everyone prepare to be squeamish. (There’s no pictures, just a graphic description of the poor lad’s injuries)

Bike handlebars deglove boy’s penis

How about the ribbed roadie type ones with a central core? might be easier to trim to suit if they won’t go in? Like these:

<span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,’Helvetica’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: small;”>https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/handlebars-ends-grips-tape/halfords-handlebar-end-plugs</span&gt;

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.