• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Handlebar bag commuting
  • nwmlarge
    Free Member

I am looking for a handlebar bag for commuting that will accommodate my Ipad 9.8″, some ear pods, a light weight jacket and a couple of little bits.

I like the look of this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/41degrees-Handlebar-Electric-Scooter-Capacity/dp/B07XGJPNJP/ref=asc_df_B07XGJPNJP/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=394229352453&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3585192123112745666&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045966&hvtargid=pla-858347648804&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=87474904971&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=394229352453&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3585192123112745666&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045966&hvtargid=pla-858347648804

But it needs the quick release like this: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/handlebar-bags/1316-tourguide-handlebar-bag

Are there any products I should check out?

I would like to be able to take it off the bike and wear it with a shoulder strap, while also trying to avoid one with a big clunky quick release, a modest one is acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Carradice do one that uses the kilkfix system, although any QR braket is going to ve inherently quite bulky as its supporting the weight of an otherwise flopy bag.

Kilkfix also do a bar mounted rack/brakcet so you could just get that and use it to hold whatever bag you want, or any old front pannier rack/basket.

midlifecrashes

Just checked for you, the Carradice Kendal bar bag takes the ipad and the rest of your gubbins. It’s a bit spendy though. The better quick releases are chunky to allow you to put them on drop handlebars and still leave a space for your fingers when riding on the tops.

As with anything bike commuting related, I look at what the Dutch do, then buy or copy that, so my town bike has permanent panniers and a basket on the front so I can match my man bag to my attire.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nwmlarge
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointers, I will keep hunting for that dream bag

ransos
    Free Member

I would like to be able to take it off the bike and wear it with a shoulder strap, while also trying to avoid one with a big clunky quick release, a modest one is acceptable.

I think that if you want a bag that’s easy to remove, you’ll need to have that chunky QR bracket on the bike. I use an Ortlieb when touring, which works very well. The shoulder strap tucks under the flap so it’s easy enough to pull out.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I don’t mind the bracket on the bike just trying to make sure its not sticking out when its off the bag, I may not have explained myself well.

IT’s annoying not being able to pop into a store to size them up.

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t mind the bracket on the bike just trying to make sure its not sticking out when its off the bag, I may not have explained myself well.

Gotcha. I don’t think the Ortlieb or Rixen & Kaul fittings are too bad in that regard. There’s a plastic panel on the back of the bag, but it doesn’t stick out much at all. I don’t notice it when carrying the bag on my shoulder.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

sweet

slowol

Front rack or basket and a bag works well. I’ve got a great lomo rack bag that clips on the front rack and becomes a shoulder bag off the bike. Basket and bungy is even easier and wald type baskets are surprisingly light. Or go minimal with a cheap planet x roll bag where it’s 2 clips and out comes the dry bag for super simple.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If Carradice is ‘spendy’ then Gilles Berthoud… 😎

A small, light, porteur-rack on the front (fixed to brake-bosses or mid-fork) can open up bag-choices

kcr
    Free Member

Rixen & Kaul are rock solid, and help hold your bag clear of cables. I’ve got this one (not my bike in the picture):

I bought it to improve the mounting of a small Decathlon bag which was the ideal size for me but didn’t mount very well using the velcro straps it came with (like the bag in your picture). The mating part is a flat plate that bolts to your bag with flush screws, so nothing sticks out when it is off the bike. You can mount it to anything, but the bag needs a bit of rigidity or it will just flop from the mount:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar bag commuting’ is closed to new replies.