Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hand Saw for Cutting Down Small Tree
  • fathomer

I only own a hacksaw for bike jobs but this weekends lockdown job is, hopefully, cutting a small ish holly tree down.

However, I have no idea what type of hand saw I’m best to buy, so advice appreciated. Ideally something I can get on Amazon Prime. And I won’t be buying a chainsaw!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Axe for the win.

nickjb
    Free Member

Folding saw if it really is small. Bow saw if it’s a little bigger. Or both, they are both handy.

Houns

Bow saw

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Upto 4-5 inches little folder or rapsaw type thing

Check it for nests, a lot of birds on second broods now

fathomer

Just been out in the rain and measured the trunk, it’s about 5″. Bow saw sounds like the way forward, going to order the Bacho one Houns has pictured. Thanks everyone 🙂

thestabiliser hadn’t thought of that, good idea!

ajantom

Roughneck 12″ bowsaw.
    Will normally do the job of a bigger bowsaw, but will fit in a cycling pack for trail maintenance.

£10 from Toolstation.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’d go for a decent pruning saw. Easier to handle than a bow saw for smaller bits.
    Just get a decent sized blade, eg 300mm. Doesn’t need to be folding if its just in the garden. Can still fit it in a backpack for cycling, maybe sticking out the top a bit.

This one looks not bad. https://www.amazon.co.uk/GR%C3%9CNTEK-Barracuda-hardened-3D-Teeth-plastic/dp/B01CP13GCK/
    Or a Silky Zubat if you want something fancier. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silky-Professional-270-33-Curved-Blade-Scabbard/dp/B0014C4QMG/

superfli
    Free Member

Silky f180. In my backpack for a little trail trimming after the FC have been in. Makes short work of trees upto about 8″ diameter.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’d agree that a pruning saw will deal with that size and be more useful for gardening jobs in the future. For example I own two chainsaws but still grabbed a punning saw, about 9-10″ blade, to cut a 4″ branch from a neighbour’s oak tree and it didn’t take long. Silky are the best, but not the cheapest.

superfli
    Free Member

That f180 was £20 delivered.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’d go for the Silky too. I even managed to use mine at the weekend on the end of a decorator’s extending pole to prune some 3-4″ branches on an oak about 15 ft up. 75-100mm/4-5m high in work terms…

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The humble bow saw an almost perfect tool. Cheap to buy, with replaceable blades available for peanuts virtually everywhere.

What’s not to like!

coconut
    Free Member

Bow Saw…no question.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hand Saw for Cutting Down Small Tree’ is closed to new replies.