Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hamsterley info
  • ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I’m looking at heading up to Hamsterley on Monday with the lad for a spin…… I’ve never ridden the Red route only done the uplifts many moons ago. Just looking for a bit of advice as to parking and what’s hit and miss regarding sections. My plan was to do the red in the morning then session the red decent from the Descend carpark after lunch. Any info would be appreciated.

teethgrinder

Parking in the main carpark is now ANPR-controlled but the Grove at the other end isn’t switched on yet so free (I think).

I only did a couple of off-piste runs on Sunday, but there was clarts – lots of clarts. The man-made stuff is OK, though.

benpinnick

Depending on his ability (And yours I guess) I would recommend black/red combo. Skip the first loop of the red and straight up to transmission (and Poulty’s / Kline if you want that little extra). The black is no worse than a scottish red.

GPX if you want it – https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5t6ca4ibk0ibl5/Morning_jaunt.gpx?dl=0

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Thanks for the GPX….. that’s what I had planned roughly planned out. Can you still park in the Descend carpark or is that just for the uplifts?

joemmo
    Free Member

yes you can park at Descend, it’s just a public car park. If you were looking for a section to repeat then transmission / nitrous / accelerator is a good one, just have to haul back up the fireroad. Or session Poulty’s and K-line higher up – or do the whole thing top to bottom. The black has a couple of good sections but is a bit of a haul in between

nickewen
    Free Member

When I was there a few weeks ago there was a sign saying DH/Descend parking only. That was a Saturday but assume it applies all the time

benpinnick

On Monday parking at Descend is fine.

joemmo
    Free Member

oh really? I’ve parked there a few times at weekends (when not using Descend) and just bought a ticket from the machine. Never had any repercussion from it.

butcher

Just park in the main car park, mix of Black and Red, then downhill back to car.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Cheers for the info peeps.

kayla1
    Free Member

Dunno if Transmission is closed for repairs at the minute or not, it was pretty knackered the last time we were up there and repairs were being done soon.

Also, the other side (down from the DH car park) is pretty good too- Section 13 into the other stuff that fetches you down to the main car park.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s the same as the GPX above but here’s a red/black loop route.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2757097773

Whatever you do, don’t follow the red to start off, it’s 8 miles of flat track/fire road before you get to the K line etc.

pothead
    Free Member

Don’t do the whole red route as it has really long uphill fireroad sections which can be easily skipped to reach the good stuff, I’ve ridden there for years and I’ve never heard anyone who’s ridden it say they’d do it again. Most people these days do a black/red combo, black wouldn’t be a black at any other trail centre I’ve been to so don’t let the grading put you off. There’s loads of off piste/unsanctioned trails dotted around the forest, some easy to find and link into the trail centre stuff, some of it you’d never find without a local/guide to help out, although most of it is on Strava. If u’ve not ridden there for years I’d have to say the K line into Transmission/Accelerator /Nitrous will be the best trails to session as it’s easy to get back to the top.
    The GPX in the last post is pretty much the best trail centre route

Inbred456
    Free Member

Park on the verge by the Burn outside the main entrance. Plenty room for several cars off-road. Then ride in by the footpath into the main car park.

EhWhoMe

Id say please pay and use the car park as it helps pay for the upkeep and expansion of the trails your about to enjoy…unfair to expect it for free and ride a footpath on the way in…especially when theres many mtb specific trails..its a good place ride the lot nowt wrong with fire road climbs and extra miles..also good to link upthe trail center with lots of moorland natural stuff

joemmo
    Free Member

Ah yes the classic Bedburn parking. Tens of thousands of pounds worth of fancy vans and top range bikes but trying to avoid paying a few quid for parking. Classy

Kahurangi

The last time I went to hamsterley (maybe a month after the ANPR started) the number of cars ditched in verges and forest roads was equally hilarious and disappointing. It cna only have got better as folks realise that a year-long pass for £40 is worth it…

Shiny car £10’000
    Shiny bike £3’000
    Petrol to drive there £5
    Avoiding car park fees that fund the trails £priceless

And I’ll just wait for the “I’ve been riding there since before the man mad trails” and “I only ride the off piste”

kayla1
    Free Member

Yeah, it boils my piss too. The only thing I can think of is that they’re so stretched trying to make it look as if they’ve got loads of money they can’t actually afford to pay to park and support the work done in the forest. Well, that, or they’re just mahoooooosive bellends.

benpinnick

Yeah its a joke. I don’t park at the main end unless Im with the kids, but the other day there was cars all over the road up to the last corner before the ANPR. Including a what must have been 70k+ worth of brand new rump rover. I mean I appreciate you don’t get one by giving all your money away but seriously, £6? Or if you go often whats the price of a pass now (scurries off to find out… ) £49 for two cars for a year…

teethgrinder

I tend to park where ever I want as long as it doesn’t block the gates.

I do, however, have a volunteer pass from trail building.

Kahurangi

I do, however, have a volunteer pass from trail building

Ace, thank you for your efforts. 👍

teethgrinder

Ace, thank you for your efforts.

Chopwell, though – none of that Hamsterley nonsense.

#itsgoodbutitsneechopwell

kayla1
    Free Member

Indeed 😃 Choppers is ace.

xraymtb
    Free Member

Chopwell, though – none of that Hamsterley nonsense.

And free parking…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hamsterley info’ is closed to new replies.