Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 1,818 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • cinnamon_girl

Shame the cafe in BS is no longer there. 🙁

How very odd re those mounting blocks!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shame the cafe in BS is no longer there.

There’s a cafe yurt* in Bransbury, which looked rather pleasant. Where the road out of BS meets the BW that runs SW towards Newton Stacey.

*obviously.

cinnamon_girl

Oh God does it sell artisan produce? Would mtb’ers be banned? The cafe at BS never blinked an eyelid at the state of me when I just popped my head in to order, always sat outside though even in Winter.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Didn’t go in!

The old garage in Stockers is doing great coffee/cake these days, in a very bike friendly environment. The courtyard outside is a delight on a sunny day! See also the garden at the back of T&T over the road.

cinnamon_girl

lol

Good to hear that bikes are welcome in Stockers. 🙂 Was discussing with a roadie friend about cycle-friendly establishments whilst we were visiting a new garden centre in Weyhill. It isn’t cycle-friendly at all. Another garden centre in the Vale of Pewsey was cycle-friendly but then changed hands with bikes now not being welcomed.

These are both popular areas with roadies so rather surprised.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

I think those mounting blocks are related to the right of way that drops down and over to garage on the 303.
    I was told, by someone who should know, that gaps in road barriers (like the one on the right of your pic Cap’n) are indicative of a right of way.

CG, the Bransbury Yurt is fine! Odd opening hours but very friendly!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No ROW by those barriers. On OS 1:50, the blocks are about in line with the word “motel”.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Yup, there’s nothing in the map but the blue sign that’s just visible in your bottom pic Cap’n, I think that’s a footpath sign (of sorts) dropping down to the 303.
    Also, I think there are remnants of an old ROW though the area. The byway that ends a couple of hundred metres shy of the 303 to the NW. Follow the line of it and it hits the junction.

singletrackmind

CG .- Rosewood or RoseBourne garden center?

cinnamon_girl

UnderThe Wood – thanks! That’s reassuring about The Yurt and may well investigate.

The footpath is signed to the Services, unfortunately I couldn’t make out whether horses had used the strip alongside the barriers although it does look worn.

singletrackmind – Rosebourne GC and very nice it is too, it’s rather upmarket so guessing they don’t want cyclists. Has a food hall with butchery plus wines and local beers.

Talking of which – have you tried any gluten-free beer and, if so, is there any that’s, er, palatable?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why mounting blocks if it’s near a footpath, as opposed to a bridleway? (Again, nothing on the map, will need to ride past again and look properly.)

These are fairly new installations. Under ten years, I’d say looking at the wood.

It’s odd.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Aha, I think I’ve got it!
    I think they’re for dismounting and crossing the bridge over the 303 safely. A horse could probably get spooked by all that fast noisy traffic underneath, and if you’re on horseback, then that’s a very low safety barrier and a long way to fall…
    Having said that, I’ve no memory of blocks on the far side of the bridge. Will have to check.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That would make sense.

thomthumb
    Free Member

anyone got recomendations for farmshop/ cafe near shaftsbury? I thought we’d had a recomendation for donhead st mary / st andrew but i can’t find it.

I think they’re for dismounting and crossing the bridge over the 303 safely.

i’m going to agree – they also have them over the Mway bridge into lordswood; which i thought was very odd. makes a lot of sense now.

cinnamon_girl

anyone got recomendations for farmshop/ cafe near shaftsbury?

Yep, there’s one attached to Stourhead, the National Trust place. Owners lease the land from the NT. Was happy with their produce.

http://www.stourhead.com/shop/farmshop.html

Meant to have tried this one:

http://www.theudderfarmshop.co.uk/

ShanAndy

As some of you will know, I have recently been co-opted as the off-road cycling rep for the Hampshire Countryside Access Forum.

I’ll be putting up anything useful I get from the forum in this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hampshire-countryside-access-forum?replies=2#post-8627311

I’ve written a little more about what the forum does in that thread so, if you’ve got any questions, requests or queries post in that thread.

Cheers,
    Andy

cinnamon_girl

Hampshire Open Studios 19th-28th August 2017

An annual art trail where you can meet artists in their studios and galleries. The work of over 500 artists includes painting, ceramics and sculpture.

http://www.hampshireopenstudios.org.uk

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pay-to-leave-car-on-your-driveway-for-few-days-winchester-sdw-content

Anyone closer to Winchester than I am able to help a fellow rider out?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not quite Hampshire, but I’ve just completed a catalogue of Saxon Churches in West Sussex.. on me CXer.. last two today, next stop.. East Sussex.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Not quite Hampshire, but I’ve just completed a catalogue of Saxon Churches in West Sussex.. on me CXer.. last two today, next stop.. East Sussex.

very interested in this – never quite find the routes into sussex. Any more locations/ strava?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been starting at Walderton, parking the car and riding from there .. and stopping at the Hare and Hounds at Stoughton for beer and food.. plenty of bridleways and tracks and restricted byways to knit together.
    East Sussex looking more complex and less lanes, hoping when I do the research I’ll find a lot of the bridleways are still in existence, a lot were farmed over during the war and never given back.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Wondering if anyone can pass on their wisdom, albeit I hope to leave before 1000 this morning…

Could I safely ride down Limekiln Lane from Butser on a road bike, to then head directly to Stroud, instead of descending down Harvesting Lane?

rascott
    Free Member

Sorry five minutes too late-but if I remember correctly the answer is no. I think lime kiln Lane is a eroded rutted chalky bridleway pretty steep in parts that even on a full suss MTB you have to pick your way down very carefully. Or maybe it’s just my skills. Apologies if I’ve got the wrong lime kiln lane.

rascott
    Free Member

Yep just checked google maps. Lime kiln is the mtb downhill lane. Harvesting is the tarmaced road.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cheers for that, I’m still pondering my route, had a feeling it might be dicey but I’ve yet to turn left at the top of the cat4 Harvesting climb. 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

Probably too late but yes, Lime Kiln is rutted. You can go down the SDW on a road bike though and turn right onto the Clanfield-East Meon road and then right again, which brings you out where Harvesting and Lime Kiln come out.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ended up climbing Harvesting after climbing “River To top” and “Full Little Switzerland” yesterday, then on to christen Bat & Ball and finish my cat 3/4 fest with Wheely Down.

My legs certainly know that they did a new climbing PB yesterday! 😆

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Anyone ridden Meon Valley Trail recently, to comment on trail conditions and if there is now more of a view to the sides after trees dropping their leaves?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sad to report that Annie’s, cake stop at Kimbridge, has closed. 🙁

However, in happier news, Piers Morgan switched on the Christmas lights in Stockers the other day. And nothing happened! 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Do you mean the farm shop Cap’n?

Has anyone admitted to inviting PM for the switch on???

brassneck

Sad to report that Annie’s, cake stop at Kimbridge, has closed.

Well that’s an arse. Doesn’t Houghton Lodge have a slightly more developed offering now than the old honesty box? Haven’t been on a road/mixed ride down there for a while, been driving mini B around a selection of Wessex’s parks for cross season.

bikebouy
    Free Member

QECP is still dry, I’ve been trail running it and it’s lovely.

nedrapier

nobodyofthegoat – can’t help on Meon trail, but the Bat and Ball you mentioned 3 months ago – is that the on in Wrecclesham?

If so, where’s this “little switzerland”? Sounds interesting!

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Bat n Ball is just out of Hambledon Village.. Can’t miss it, it’s on the corner and the old Cricket Ground is on the left. Or up from Clanfield.

Hyden Farm Ln, Clanfield, Hambledon, Waterlooville PO8 0UB

Little Switzerland is near Petersfield,Ashford Hangers Nature Reserve

Address: Cockshott Ln, Froxfield, Petersfield GU32 1

DezB
    Free Member

So, Petersfield locals… this Rogate Downwill that I keep seeing on Google Maps.. can you just turn up and ride?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Meon Valley Trail was mostly dry, except a few muddy puddles near Wickham, last Friday. Thick cushion of fallen leaves through most of its length. Fun ride, despite the cold, good test for the new thermal gear I received the day before!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1297908038

Bat & Ball climb https://www.strava.com/segments/3796525 , just west of Clanfield, another odd cat4 segment that even goes downhill before a steep finish! Only done it the once so far, partly because I like doing the “Round Butser” segment, but must get back over there again to try it with fresher legs than when I climbed it back in late August https://www.strava.com/activities/1156332100/overview

“Little Switzerland” is part of the ascent north of Petersfield, which includes at least one true cat3 climb (Bell Hill To The Top). Some say it doesn’t live up to its name, but the cat3 segment is the one of the very limited true cat3s we have around Hampshire, albeit it is far kinder than the cat3s I climbed on the Wazoo a few weeks ago in the Mendips (Draycott Steep, that I only had time to descend because I was so far behind schedule, climbs 725 feet in 1.2 miles! 😯 ). https://www.strava.com/segments/626528

DezB
    Free Member

DezB –
    So, Petersfield locals… this Rogate Downwill that I keep seeing on Google Maps.. can you just turn up and ride?

I can answer my own question – turn up, pay £5, and get your downhiller-thriller mode on. Tracks there are pretty amazing for such a small bit of hill in Hampshire! But if you’re a tad more DH orientated than myself, you’d love it. Worth the trip. Jumps, drops, roots, whatever takes your fancy. Most of it rideable without being the descend only type, but more fun if you are. And pushing up is tough if you’re not used to it!

cinnamon_girl

Sad to report that Annie’s, cake stop at Kimbridge, has closed

So hard for small businesses. 🙁 Wonder if anyone will take over, was rather disappointed to see that the selection of unusual gifts is no longer there either. Were they anything to do with the cafe? Quality of fruit and veg was a tad poor, do hope shop will survive.

Never underestimate the draw of a decent cafe.

brassneck

Never underestimate the draw of a decent cafe.

Always was busy when I stopped, but I guess weekend traffic only isn’t enough.

I like the Tea Cosy in Hurstbourne a lot but I have to take a child or two to justify stopping for tea after 20Km, it soon adds up 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 1,818 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New deal added to Members Discounts