Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,819 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • cinnamon_girl

Hurrah, pleased that this thread has appeared again. 🙂

How lucky to see a tawny owl and to have been so close. 😀 Were you in Weston Common?

I managed a tiny pootle yesterday and had a stand-off with a sparrowhawk who was sitting on top of a fence post. This lady in black must have scared him off as he flew away into the distance. Wonderful sight. 8)

daftvader
    Free Member

yes, weston common/closedown wood was where the harvester had been, ended up having to pick up the footpath round the outside, luckily this proved to be an awsome piece of singletrack! the owl was somewhere on the Long Lane, along with flocks of sleeping partridge…
    glad you are feeling better…

johnj2000
    Free Member

Interesting ride out with big Shep tonight. One split hope hub for him and a damaged stansion for me, expensive ride 🙁

Still despite the issues it was the first ride for over two weeks due to the holidays and at least my damage didn’t stop me getting round the full route, unlike Marks.

Anyone been on the new blue route yet? We heard today that’s it’s rather fast and good fun.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Does anyone here know where the start of the new blue trail is at QECP?

benmotogp46
    Free Member

If you continue along the South Downs Way trail which passes the zig zag berms on your left, take the trail to the right where it forks off which leads down to Halls Hill car park. The new start should be on the level part of this trail on the left just before it starts to decend. There is a bench nearby over looking the view with a statue of a lamb or sheep.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks Ben

wheelie

Who else was in the Hampshire Bowman last night?

johnj2000
    Free Member

Wish I had been, quality ales in there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe not me, going tonight though 😀

I fell off today, landed hard on my face and sporting a black eye and two large rashes on my cheek 😆

That’s what you get whilst in CX hack training 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ll that’s another day of CX training done, Hampshires looking bloody lovely as usual and I’ve seen less brambles and nettles this last week.
    I may have annoyed a lovely family pooling out on bikes with my 22 reps of a steep hill whilst timing myself, thought I’d catch a quiet morning with no one around but nope, so sorry about that.

The Bowman was ace as usual, sat outside having supper and a beer in amongst the deep red sunset rolling over the South South Downs..

Aannnnd rest 😆

cinnamon_girl

Quick recovery from your off bikebuoy! Respect for 22 reps, sounds painful. 😯

Feeling a bit guilty for disturbing 4 fallow hinds on a bridleway plus a million and one partridge lacking in common sense. Found some delicious brambles but exercised self-restraint by keeping to a single figure. 😀

Yeah, Hampshire’s looking pretty lovely right now. 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Off for a point to point tomorrow. Top of the Test to the Wallops for a spot of lunch then back in time for tea and medals a few beers.

If anyone’s at a loose end, I should be passing through Whitchurch at some time around 1000…..

😉

Mintman
    Free Member

I might venture to QECP one night this week for some night riding fun. I’m an irregular visitor to Hampshire and didn’t know the new blue had opened.

cinnamon_girl

The Wallops is a really pleasant area, have fun! 😀

johnj2000
    Free Member

Rode the new blue this evening, bit twitchy in parts with the loose new surface but good fun. Had a bit of a navigational error as we missed out the new drops. If anyone can explain where we went wrong that would be great

bartimaeus
    Free Member

The new drops are very near the start of the Blue singletrack about 100m in from where it starts after the top of the new climb. They are not yet part of the trail, but you can’t really miss them.

http://app.strava.com/activities/194554033

I know what you mean about the surface – it’s not too bad, but on a couple of the downhill corners it’s a bit sketchy… I’ll speak to the guys as you can carry a fair bit of speed into those corners and both have something to collide with if you drift too wide.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ahhh I see thanks bartimus, we were expecting them as part of the trail so were not looking anywhere else.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments CG, much apreciated.

I am sporting the “unshaven” and rugged image today 😆

One thing I have noticed, we have a a few really rather excellent sunsets of late… 8)

cinnamon_girl

So … *when* the new cx/roadie steed arrives it may be taken off road but I can’t think of where would be suitable, apart from the Test Way which would necessitate a beer in the Mayfly.

Any double track, gentle gravel etc in Hampshire?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Depends where you want to go and how long a ride – I can easily do over an hr in Alver Valley without breaking out for cake 😉

cinnamon_girl

Wot??? No cake to be found in the Alver Valley???

😀

hammyuk
    Free Member

Oh – trust me there’s cake CG 😉
    And it has a cracking view of the sea 25mts away 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Here

And cake Here

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bikebouy 22 reps of the same climb make me happy I am enjoying a different branch of the sport !

I was going to check out new trails etc at QECP at the weekend but in the end drove by and enjoyed some the driest conditions I’ve experienced in the Surrey Hills for quite a while. I trust QECP was running fast too.

cinnamon_girl

hammy – ah, quite civilised then. 😆

hammyuk
    Free Member

Well it IS Lee on Solent 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I did a couple of laps of Red at QECP last weekend on the CX. It was running bloomin nice when I went.
    I tend to stick to the less rutted tracks, bit poncy I know but I can still hack along nicely.
    Out back over the top’s where I normally play, much more through the trees and loooong uphill drags, less roots and less MTB’ers 😆

Alver Valley, well blimey, Browndown? I know it rather well. Then up through the bird sancuary towards Rowner?

CG, if you get the oportunity, it really is a great place to pootle around. Lots of gravel roads, great Sustrans route from Gosport (you could catch the train to Pompey, cross P’mth harbour on the ferry) then through to Warsash (via Hook) and pop on the pink ferry and head through Netley Marshs on the old railway lines, head back into Sotty and catch the train home..

Make a day of it.. 😀

hammyuk
    Free Member

Tend not to bother with Browndown as it’s “technically” in private hands now.
    Alver – the full MOD area, past the Pump track, Apple Dumpling Bridge, Cherque farm, etc keeps you going for ages – a full 8 miles the other morning without really repeating myself!

brassneck

So … *when* the new cx/roadie steed arrives it may be taken off road but I can’t think of where would be suitable, apart from the Test Way which would necessitate a beer in the Mayfly.

You’re paying then 🙂

Fair bit around Vernham, top end of the Bourne valley. And whilst it’s over the border and therefore cheating, Salisbury Plain is going to see a lot of me and a Tripster once I’ve finished with the kitchen. And building the tripster.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My legs is hurtings!

From the top of the Test, over to the Wallops for lunch, and then back. Lovely riding, only a little bit of road around Whitchurch.

Passing the Plannies here;

Arms are pock marked from the brambles, legs are gently tingling from the nettles. Feels good!

So … *when* the new cx/roadie steed arrives it may be taken off road

Erm, I may be about to enter a new niche in that area….(Preview post here, pending potential purchase! Details may, or may not follow….!)

The Harrow Way, up above Whitchurch, Overton, etc is pretty good for that. Or, as above, The Plain is criss crossed with excellent grrrrrrravel.

daftvader
    Free Member

Cfh… Any chance of a gpx of that route? Been thinking that a trip to Whitchurch is in order…. And would it be doable in the dark? I seem to be only riding at night atm… No sign of fangs yet and I still like garlic 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any chance of a gpx of that route?

Oi be old skool! Maps and ting. 😉

However….For the night –
    Out of Oakley, NW towards North Oakley, then up towards Walkeridge Farm. Across the top of Cannon Heath Down, then due South at the top, down towards Robley Belt. Right on to the road, then due South towards OVerton, with Willesley Warren Farm to your left. Left on to the Harrow Way, back across the 3051 North of Overton, then head to the North of Ashe Warren House back to the bridleway towards Oakley. Nice little loop, that. No gnar, but lovely riding with very little road.

daftvader
    Free Member

Ah… Tbf I’ve only recently converted to gps… But it’s great!

brassneck

You’re paying then 🙂

Fair bit around Vernham, top end of the Bourne valley. And whilst it’s over the border and therefore cheating, Salisbury Plain is going to see a lot of me and a Tripster once I’ve finished with the kitchen. And building the tripster.

EDIT: Wooooooah, 24 hour double post. Maybe a new record 😀

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for route suggestions chaps. 😀

brassneck – would rather have the mtb in Vernham but do agree with your suggestion of Salisbury Plain. When I lived in Wiltshire had a lovely loop that did include some singletrack until ‘maintenance’ was carried out. Started off from Redhorn Hill, dropped into the valley then back again onto the Plain. It was frequently a lonely route in a vast area and perfect for my ss especially if it was breezy and raining! Loads of options for extending too.

First ride will be to the Mayfly to terrify the customers! 😆

cinnamon_girl

Cap’n – the Plantations that’s discussed on here? That track looks grim but guessing that’s erosion?

When will your new niche be divulged then? IIRC the Harrow Way used to get trashed by mx’ers, is that still the case?

The Plain is ideal especially with my Stan’s Gravel rims. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When will your new niche be divulged then? IIRC the Harrow Way used to get trashed by mx’ers, is that still the case?

Once I finally make my mind up and/or pull in a favour or two from the manufacturer!

The Harrow way section above Whitchurch/Overton is lovely at the moment, there’s the grrrrrrravel option, obviously, but some great snaking, natural singletrack running either side of it as well. Well worth seeking out! If you’re planning a trip over any time soon, do let me know! 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

The Plain is ideal especially with my Stan’s Gravel rims.

Did you get them locally?

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Just curious, does anyone know why there is a huge log left in the middle of the trail on the SDW between The Milburys PH and Holden Farm? It’s just as your approaching the farm if your heading for Winchester..

[

frogstomp

+1 was along there on Saturday.. perfectly damped down at the moment..

I would hazard a guess at stopping green-laners and / or rural theft access..

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,819 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.