Hampshire Riding

Home Forum Bike Forum Hampshire Riding

Viewing 45 posts - 856 through 900 (of 1,642 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • bartimaeus

The new drops are very near the start of the Blue singletrack about 100m in from where it starts after the top of the new climb. They are not yet part of the trail, but you can’t really miss them.

http://app.strava.com/activities/194554033

I know what you mean about the surface – it’s not too bad, but on a couple of the downhill corners it’s a bit sketchy… I’ll speak to the guys as you can carry a fair bit of speed into those corners and both have something to collide with if you drift too wide.

johnj2000

Ahhh I see thanks bartimus, we were expecting them as part of the trail so were not looking anywhere else.

bikebouy

Thanks for the comments CG, much apreciated.

I am sporting the “unshaven” and rugged image today 😆

One thing I have noticed, we have a a few really rather excellent sunsets of late… 8)

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

So … *when* the new cx/roadie steed arrives it may be taken off road but I can’t think of where would be suitable, apart from the Test Way which would necessitate a beer in the Mayfly.

Any double track, gentle gravel etc in Hampshire?

hammyuk

Depends where you want to go and how long a ride – I can easily do over an hr in Alver Valley without breaking out for cake 😉

Subscriber

Wot??? No cake to be found in the Alver Valley???

😀

hammyuk

Oh – trust me there’s cake CG 😉
    And it has a cracking view of the sea 25mts away 🙂

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

@bikebouy 22 reps of the same climb make me happy I am enjoying a different branch of the sport !

I was going to check out new trails etc at QECP at the weekend but in the end drove by and enjoyed some the driest conditions I’ve experienced in the Surrey Hills for quite a while. I trust QECP was running fast too.

Subscriber

hammy – ah, quite civilised then. 😆

hammyuk

Well it IS Lee on Solent 😉

bikebouy

I did a couple of laps of Red at QECP last weekend on the CX. It was running bloomin nice when I went.
    I tend to stick to the less rutted tracks, bit poncy I know but I can still hack along nicely.
    Out back over the top’s where I normally play, much more through the trees and loooong uphill drags, less roots and less MTB’ers 😆

Alver Valley, well blimey, Browndown? I know it rather well. Then up through the bird sancuary towards Rowner?

CG, if you get the oportunity, it really is a great place to pootle around. Lots of gravel roads, great Sustrans route from Gosport (you could catch the train to Pompey, cross P’mth harbour on the ferry) then through to Warsash (via Hook) and pop on the pink ferry and head through Netley Marshs on the old railway lines, head back into Sotty and catch the train home..

Make a day of it.. 😀

hammyuk

Tend not to bother with Browndown as it’s “technically” in private hands now.
    Alver – the full MOD area, past the Pump track, Apple Dumpling Bridge, Cherque farm, etc keeps you going for ages – a full 8 miles the other morning without really repeating myself!

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

So … *when* the new cx/roadie steed arrives it may be taken off road but I can’t think of where would be suitable, apart from the Test Way which would necessitate a beer in the Mayfly.

You’re paying then 🙂

Fair bit around Vernham, top end of the Bourne valley. And whilst it’s over the border and therefore cheating, Salisbury Plain is going to see a lot of me and a Tripster once I’ve finished with the kitchen. And building the tripster.

My legs is hurtings!

From the top of the Test, over to the Wallops for lunch, and then back. Lovely riding, only a little bit of road around Whitchurch.

Passing the Plannies here;

Arms are pock marked from the brambles, legs are gently tingling from the nettles. Feels good!

So … *when* the new cx/roadie steed arrives it may be taken off road

Erm, I may be about to enter a new niche in that area….(Preview post here, pending potential purchase! Details may, or may not follow….!)

The Harrow Way, up above Whitchurch, Overton, etc is pretty good for that. Or, as above, The Plain is criss crossed with excellent grrrrrrravel.

daftvader

Cfh… Any chance of a gpx of that route? Been thinking that a trip to Whitchurch is in order…. And would it be doable in the dark? I seem to be only riding at night atm… No sign of fangs yet and I still like garlic 😀

Any chance of a gpx of that route?

Oi be old skool! Maps and ting. 😉

However….For the night –
    Out of Oakley, NW towards North Oakley, then up towards Walkeridge Farm. Across the top of Cannon Heath Down, then due South at the top, down towards Robley Belt. Right on to the road, then due South towards OVerton, with Willesley Warren Farm to your left. Left on to the Harrow Way, back across the 3051 North of Overton, then head to the North of Ashe Warren House back to the bridleway towards Oakley. Nice little loop, that. No gnar, but lovely riding with very little road.

daftvader

Ah… Tbf I’ve only recently converted to gps… But it’s great!

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

You’re paying then 🙂

Fair bit around Vernham, top end of the Bourne valley. And whilst it’s over the border and therefore cheating, Salisbury Plain is going to see a lot of me and a Tripster once I’ve finished with the kitchen. And building the tripster.

EDIT: Wooooooah, 24 hour double post. Maybe a new record 😀

Subscriber

Thanks for route suggestions chaps. 😀

brassneck – would rather have the mtb in Vernham but do agree with your suggestion of Salisbury Plain. When I lived in Wiltshire had a lovely loop that did include some singletrack until ‘maintenance’ was carried out. Started off from Redhorn Hill, dropped into the valley then back again onto the Plain. It was frequently a lonely route in a vast area and perfect for my ss especially if it was breezy and raining! Loads of options for extending too.

First ride will be to the Mayfly to terrify the customers! 😆

Subscriber

Cap’n – the Plantations that’s discussed on here? That track looks grim but guessing that’s erosion?

When will your new niche be divulged then? IIRC the Harrow Way used to get trashed by mx’ers, is that still the case?

The Plain is ideal especially with my Stan’s Gravel rims. 😀

When will your new niche be divulged then? IIRC the Harrow Way used to get trashed by mx’ers, is that still the case?

Once I finally make my mind up and/or pull in a favour or two from the manufacturer!

The Harrow way section above Whitchurch/Overton is lovely at the moment, there’s the grrrrrrravel option, obviously, but some great snaking, natural singletrack running either side of it as well. Well worth seeking out! If you’re planning a trip over any time soon, do let me know! 😀

thomthumb

The Plain is ideal especially with my Stan’s Gravel rims.

Did you get them locally?

Premier Icon benmotogp46
    Subscriber

Hi guys,

Just curious, does anyone know why there is a huge log left in the middle of the trail on the SDW between The Milburys PH and Holden Farm? It’s just as your approaching the farm if your heading for Winchester..

[

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

captainflashheart wrote:

The Harrow way section above Whitchurch/Overton is lovely at the moment, there’s the grrrrrrravel option, obviously, but some great snaking, natural singletrack running either side of it as well.

+1 was along there on Saturday.. perfectly damped down at the moment..

benmotogp46 wrote:

Just curious, does anyone know why there is a huge log left in the middle of the trail on the SDW between The Milburys PH and Holden Farm?

I would hazard a guess at stopping green-laners and / or rural theft access..

dobo

The Harrow way section above Whitchurch/Overton is lovely at the moment

Where exactley is this harrow way section? Got any directions or GPS routes from stockbridge or Sutton Scotney? need to expand 🙂

Where exactley is this harrow way section? Got any directions or GPS routes from stockbridge or Sutton Scotney? need to expand

From SS or Stockers, you say?

Well, would need to get in to my maps properly, but as a pointer, the bit I was referring to runs from (or to, depending on where you start!) due North of Home Farm in Laverstoke, running NNEish towards a crossing with the B3051 just North of Overton station, then on towards Ashe Warren House. Worth heading from there towards North Oakley, NNW towards Walkeridge Farm as well.

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

wrote:

Where exactley is this harrow way section?

Here you go.. the singletrack is either side of the doubletrack on square 51 I think.. from west to east it starts off on the RHS then continues on the LHS shortly after it emerges back onto the track. The second section has one or two small and badly maintained jumps which are rollable / avoidable.

There’s also a little stretch (RHS) on the section after the B3051 crossing.

The end of the Portway that emerges at Clap Gate is worth a blat if you’re over there..

Link for bigger picture..

dobo

thanks CFH, couldnt find it on some outdoormap/openstreet map thing, The notes got me there but the o/s map is certainly easier to see, thanks frogstomp
    Just need to figure a route out from stockbridge now to do some exploring. If you know of anything else worth trying between stockers and whichchurch/overton, let me know, ill get this linked up in next few weeks.

Thanks for that link, Froggy. I can see my house on it! 😀

Dobo, will have a look at my maps for you. Not sure there’s much that’s not a footpath or road North of Barton Stacey.

(Still, if you’re over towards Stockers, you have Becky’s, Robinson’s and the ever delectable Rachel at the wine shop, so it’s not all bad!)

daftvader

Well I’ve been out again this evening, 24miles of lovely night riding . Only problem with riding in the dark is that the photos are crap!!!!

thomthumb

I finally got out to ride my gravel lap of winchester; so here you are :D.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6036963

couple of detours but i’ve fixed the route now.

Ben: there is another tree to the west on church lane – so it must be deliberate…

Subscriber

Well done Tom, that was some route! Roughly how much road compared to off road?

Nice looking route, intrigued to hear the answer to CG’s question above….!

Especially intrigued as my new bike arrives at the LBS on Tuesday and it’s a not telling you yet!

😀

Subscriber

Tom – can I also ask what tyres and width?

Cap’n – shall expect pics on Tuesday then! 😀

That’s a good loop Tom 🙂
    Rode a chunk of that Thursday night looking for a pub with an open kitchen!
    Cross/gravel bikes are fantastic round here, they open up Hampshire for big mixed terrain rides like Tom’s.

thomthumb

it’s a not telling you yet!

i’ll put a fiver on you going AWOL. 😉

running 47c smart sams at the moment. love the volume but they are too draggy. the other options i have are sb8 (35c)even more draggy! or marathon racers in 35c which are great but too thin; you have to increase the pressure too high to prevent pinch flats on the rear.
    I’m hoping to experiment with conti speedrides next… sorry fully fledged rubber fetishist!

60/40 on:off road looking at os map, which sounds about right.

daftvader

Still riding in the dark here…. Not much to report, other than the fact that it is dark, getting colder and one of my tyres is currently held together with half a scratch card!!

bikebouy

I’ve been hacking the road for the last 3 days, in interval training as my first CX event isn’t too far away and I’ve also the Lakeland Monster the week after next..
    The roads, well they’re roads (rather lanes) and still as lovely as ever. Coming into my favourite season now and you can tell some trees are just starting to fall. Temp’s still up in the 20’s but been quite humid so a bit confusing as to what to wear out riding.. 😕
    The more I ride the coast here the more folks I see out on bikes, down in the flat lands next to the sea it’s an easy poodle, but it does make me wonder if anyone ventures north of the M27 these days 😆
    Todays 4 hr hack around Steep/East Meon/Privett/High Cross loops (may fave because there are some brutal climbs) and I didn’t see another bike’ist out, which was really disappointing. I get the feeling some days like it’s back in the old days when cycling wasn’t fashionable.
    Great pint in the Flower Pots last night, funnily enough the Landlord was in fine chatty form (which is a revelation if you know the FPots)
    Hey ho, rest day tomorrow and a walk in amongst the forests and brackish waters of the Western Solent.

Hampshire rocks.

dobo

Nice ride Thom, i’ll have to check some of that out. also thanks for posting a ridewithgps link as just realised the mapping is better on that than strava.

heres one i just uploaded wich takes in a fair amount of off road

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3531709

fairly hilly and maybe more suitable for an mtb in places as fairly bumpy but got round ok on cx & landcruisers, thank lordy for mini v’s 🙂

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

@dobo, thanks for that my parents live in Kings Sombourne and I’ve just left a bike there so will give your route a try.

Premier Icon beesey
    Subscriber

I passed a guy in an orange jersey near Littleton this afternoon. Wondering if they are a fellow Hampshire rider?

Hi Daftvader,

missed your comments about cliddesden to alton and back a month ago. Would be good to meet up with some of the people from this thread. We’ll have to sort out a time to do that, before the mud sets in.

Out of interest, what night/s do you normally ride on? I only normally go out at night due to kid commitments, normally Tuesdays and occasionally Fridays/Saturdays. There is a normally a group of us out on Tuesday nights. I’m based in Froyle, but we start all over Hampshire (and occasionally Surrey), but don’t mind travelling a little way.

Selborne was riding great last week, I recommend trying this area for anyone who hasn’t ridden there. I can export the GPX, or produce a PDF of the OS Map if anyone is interested in the route.
    Selborne Ride

HantsNightRider

bikebouy

I was up over Steep the other day, riding nice it was.

Viewing 45 posts - 856 through 900 (of 1,642 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.