Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,818 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Indeed congratulations CFH! Ride now! Before the new one appears!! 8)

DV – let’s keep it open here shall we? I’m not sure Chawton/BVushey Leaze would cope too well with a large collective bumbling around, but if there’s a few others who’d like to join us in everything from chalk and flint to clay, that’s ever so slightly wet!! 😀 There are some nice trails here there though 😉

I’ll keep you posted re next Tuesday too 😀

daftvader
    Free Member

excellent 8) I wouldn’t say it was that wet, just claggy atm but with the forecast it may well be…
    next Tuesday I will probably be doing my local loop which starts at cliddesden, by the school. ten ish miles of almost entirely off road. with any luck I should be there by about 7ish, any one is more than welcome to join in though again I’m not sure it would cope with too many people

cinnamon_girl

Some nice pics there and well done for exploring. There’s a nice cafe near Bentworth and they do gluten free cake. Haven’t been there for quite a while though. My latest fave place is lasham gliding club!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Anyone from Hants signing up for the BHF SDW in a day jobbie, been thinking about it but got no one to ride with

Three friends locally are doing it, however I believe one has dropped out so they may have a spare entry

This was a stunning Hampshire Ride
    The wild garlic is stunning in this area at the moment

johnj2000
    Free Member

Keep us posted in the arrivals status CFH best of luck.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Daftvador,
    I’m interested to know where this local loop around Cliddesden takes you.
    I have a route in the area, I am keen to develop
    Cliddesden from Bentworth
    I often ride out that way, but I’ve been waiting for the mud situation to improve.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, all! News will follow…!

Must get out in the woods to get some garlic as well!

As an aside, does anyone know the Volvo garage in Cliddesden? Am looking for a good independent and would love an opinion! (Longshot!)

cinnamon_girl

HantsNightRider -I know all those tracks!

daftvader
    Free Member

cfh I have a friend who has used that garage for years and rates it. hth.

HNR… the start of the loop is at the school in cliddesden on northgate lane then follow your route as on the map till you come to the junction of the byway and berrydown lane. I then either go up into the woods and along and back down to the road, but only if its bone dry. or I follow the berrydown lane towards axford which rejoins your loop and then back to the school. I am loving the idea of joining this up with the bentworth one. was out there on Tuesday just gone. that would be a cracking ride I reckon. 8)

edit and it wasn’t that muddy last time…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The longshot delivers! Thanks, much appreciated.

frogstomp

Have just been out and done the Trail Break route as I didn’t make it on Wednesday.. some excellent woodland singletrack on Burghclere Common and over the Greenham Common side of the A339 – loads of scope for summer evening exploration!

johnj2000
    Free Member

I did that a cpl of years ago frogstomp was a bit of a trek from fareham but I was amazed at the quality of riding so close to Newbury town and industrial estates. Really enjoyed it

johnj2000
    Free Member

Oh, and just to keep you up to date with my riding this weekend, there will be none. Don’t feel to sorry for me though as I am in Rome eating amazing food and seeing amazing sights 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I ventured East to Essex and have killed my legs to death hacking around Maldon, West Mersea, Colchester, and the Ferres.. Bloming nice and flat with a tail wind then a right old hack back into the teeth of a gale.. That was mighty hard work indeed.

However, I saw no Bluebells at all.. Essex mud flats don’t seem to be the place for them 😕

And the CX’er goes in for it’s change of brakes at Giant St Pauls, so that’s off the menu for a little while 😐

daftvader
    Free Member

Bikebouy….Give brightlingsea a miss…. back of beyond hole you will be lucky to get out of alive….

superfli
    Free Member

Fingers crossed, weather forecast looks good for the following week and QECyclefest. Who’s coming and who’s camping? I’ll be there, camping from Fri night. Look for a motorbike with a Soul on it – shouldnt be many 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A slight aside here, but it turns out that the garden centre at Dummer has a brilliant range of beer in stock!

My dull morning trip to stock up on plants was brightened somewhat!

daftvader
    Free Member

so mr slackalice what may be the plan for sunday???

slackalice
    Free Member

Ah ha!

Reckon we go riding DV 😀

I’ve just received my instructions for my Sat eve marshalling duties at QECP. Looks like it might be a late one! Might you be good to meet at the Four Marks Chawton Woods car park for an afternoon ride? The route I’m thinking of will take us a couple of hours I reckon and I’m just trying to get family timetables together, so an exact ETA will be forthcoming…

garage-dweller

John

I promised a grid ref a couple of weeks ago for a family friendly ride start point near Liphook. Finally found my OS map.

Off B2070

Track north off that road at GR 813/280 can park on edge of the common off that track. From there you can get over towards Longmoor, Liss Forest, etc with little or no roads.

daftvader
    Free Member

Sunday pm sounds great… look forward to it. 8)

slackalice
    Free Member

Excellent. Timings starting to take shape, how might a meet time of 1.30ish be for you?

daftvader
    Free Member

Sounds good to me… I like times that end with ish!!

slackalice
    Free Member

😀

DV, I’ll send you a PM with my phone number, just waiting for last bit of my jigsaw of logistics to pop into place before finalising the precise ‘ish’!

If anyone else would like to join us, the ground will have hopefully firmed up quite nicely following this last weeks’ dry and sunny weather, we’ll be meeting at the aforementioned car park in Four Marks, I don’t have a grid ref, but it’s not far from the A31, Alton end of Four Marks and my PM is in my profile 😀

You’ll be able to recognise me as I’ll be wearing a red rose in my left lapel and tottering around on a very lovely orange coloured PYGA! 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Who else is out this weekend then?
    90k’s Roadie ride tomorrow, early start/mid morning finish then I’ll sleep in the garden until I grab the SS and head to QECP where the Enduro thingumybob’s on and watch in Awe as they all RadztotheMaxGnarrlyDude themselves down the bumps to thunderous applause and Podium Girls, should be fun that.
    Sunday will be another Roadie ride but late PM with hill climbing training in full flight.

Shades On Lads n Lasses.

Enjoy! 8)

daftvader
    Free Member

For me it’ll be the large dragonn my right arm and the all black canyon! And the carpark is on boynswood rd….
    Bikebouy… made it out of essex alive then?? 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bikebouy – well if I had been at QECP you would have seen me mince around the course trying not to crash into a tree in the dark. Plus not trying to exhaust myself during the “practice runs”.

What are you training for ?

No riding for me this w/e, hoping to get a ride in Wales next weekend as I am in Cardiff for the Heineken Cup final.

bikebouy
    Free Member

daftvader – Member
    Bikebouy… made it out of essex alive then??

It was a good rideout, pinned it from Maldon to West Mersea in a blink of an eye then up to Colchester through the lanes in great time, though there don’t seem to be many “lanes” per se’ more small B Roads with occasional single lanes but not many, guess it’s the field boundries that define the roads. Bit windy on the way back to Maldon, hard slog in 40mph winds.. Great views all round though (main reason for going) I love the Blackwater and have many fond memories of Sailing there with some very good mates.

jambalaya – Member

@bikebouy
    – well if I had been at QECP you would have seen me mince around the course trying not to crash into a tree in the dark. Plus not trying to exhaust myself during the “practice runs”.

What are you training for ?

QECP is a great place the Lads who built and manage it are superstars, nothing more to be said there apart from “thanks”.
    I have to mince on occasion as I’m using 36/21 on the SSNiner and the rutted climb right out near the A3 just before the fireroad climb always gets me, we all do it, no bother. Also, annoying to some I know, I prefer going the opposite way up the long downhill section from the bottom carpark all the way to the middle of the Red where the whooopy switchbacks meet the long fireroad that cuts the middle of it all.. I have annoyed a few folks on occasion, sorry but I’m no downhiller and prefer tricky climbs, but I get out of thier way soon enough, can be a bit of a shock seeing a dick like me on an SS coming up the other way, sorry if I piss you off but I will get out of your way long before you fly past, honest.
    Training, Yup, climbings my thing, love it, love blowing up and breathing out of my arse for some reason and I just love to wiggle my arse. I’m out back to the Doli’s in Sept for the Tour of Lombardia Sportive and have a whole summer of sprint hillclimbs organised alongside some long weekends in North Yorks…

8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dropped the car off in Cliddesden this morning, and then a lovely bimble back along the lanes through Farleigh Wallop and Dummer, etc.

The wild garlic along the sides of the road by Farleigh Wallop is astonishing! Simply astonishing.

cinnamon_girl

Still wanting to explore Itchen Wood, there were signs warning of harvesting but all was quiet. Bloomin’ muddy in parts though although bluebells were enjoyed. Micheldever Wood used to have fantastic bluebells but few were seen following a quick peak, disappointing.

slackalice
    Free Member

I’ll be marshalling at QECP at the start of stage 3, apparently, so do come along and say ‘hello’ 😀

Then Sunday, as you have probably gathered, off aht with daftvader for a trundle. Spaces available! Looking like a 1.30 ish rendezvous. 8)

daftvader
    Free Member

CFH there is so much garlic at the top of farligh wallop that I can smell it from the other side of town!
    Bikebouy… I grew up in brightlingsea and have sailed all round there …. good memories of sailing, fishing and messing about on the colne/backwater, crappy place to live otherwise!! (Still miss the sea tho)

johnj2000
    Free Member

Going to try and wake up at the crack of dawn, yes I said at not in, as the weekend is full of birthday party’s, karate, rugby prize giving , and ballet! Might try to get to QECP Sunday evening

@garagedweller – thanks for that I will check it out when we get a free weekend.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I aim to be at QECP all day saturday – and then I’ll be marshalling at the start of stage 2 for the enduro race. Last rider off at just before 10pm – then back to the beer tent and some spectating on stage 4.

Sunday I’ll likely be back at QE again… at some point I need to rise some bikes I can’t possibly afford.

I hope they have a mobile workshop this year as the rear wheel on my HT needs trueing (also needs headset bearings, and possibly a new headset!).

chiefgrooveguru

I’m looking forward to a peaceful evening on my own pottering around QECP tomorrow for my first ever visit!

😉

johnj2000
    Free Member

Well I am up, not quite the crack of dawn but I have a couple of hours until the madness of the weekend descends. Going to head from Fareham to Wickham and join the old railway line, if I am feeling good I will cut in to Bere Forest and have a charge around there, if I am feeling sluggish I will stay on the railway and just give it as much effort as I can. Not the most inspiring of routes but at least it’s some exercise.

@chiefgrooveguru- I assume you are joining the race then? Good luck, lot of effort gone into preparing the route, should be great fun.

@anyone related to QECP – will it all be clear by Sunday 5pm as it’s the next time I have any free riding time and fancy a blast.

frogstomp

Might try and get down to QECP to catch some of the racing tonight, then hilly local charity road ride on Sunday (Whitchurch).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another spin on the Brompton today, out to Cliddesden to pick up the car (Garage – http://www.garagebasingstoke.co.uk/ – Were excellent, BTW. Recommended. Had a lovely Noble M12 in there when I was picking up, so they clearly do a little more than just Volvos!)

Glorious weather for riding, ducks quacking in every pond, etc!

Some bluebells for CG. On the wane, but still lovely!

The garlic at Farleigh Wallop. Nom, nom, nom!

And a Chinook over the scenic sights of The Stoke!

Surprisingly few riders out, although I did spot the world champion out for a spin along by FW. Well, who else would wear those stripes? 😉 Also chatted to an ex-Para on an Anthem who’d got 14th (IIRC) in the TT Nationals some years ago! Way faster than me, that’s for sure!

daftvader
    Free Member

get some of that garlic and wrap some mackerel fillets with the leaves then steam them…. tasty and healthy… you can also use a few of the flowers in salads 8)

bartimaeus
    Free Member

@anyone related to QECP – will it all be clear by Sunday 5pm as it’s the next time I have any free riding time and fancy a blast.

Yes, should be… all the demo bikes will be back in and everyone will be packing up by then. It wasn’t too busy today… well not until race practice when there were about 140 riders out on the trails.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,818 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.