Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Hampshire: Pubs serving gluten-free food
  • cinnamon_girl

Recommendations for ideally mid-Hampshire but will consider anywhere that’s not too expensive.

Thank you. 🙂

wallop

Anywhere that serves steak and chips 8)

cinnamon_girl

😆

One is not much of a meat eater and definitely wouldn’t eat steak! The other g-f person isn’t awkward. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Never been, but a quick Google got this http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1935228.pub_leads_way_for_gluten_free_grub/

Well worth trying some of the better food pubs as well, Peat Spade, Malet, etc. Ask around, am sure they could accommodate.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Cap’n but that one is too far south.

Having a food intolerance does mean that you can’t take chances so I’m wanting to book in advance.

Was really thinking Alresford vicinity.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Pub chips are often not gluten free.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm, not too far from The Bush at Ovington. Worth a call.

Haven’t really had time to try the pubs over here for food yet, but will bear in mind! Drop me an email if you still have my address. (Apologies, changed phones and don’t seem to have yours any more! )

cinnamon_girl

Excellent suggestion of The Bush and not affected by the water level! I’ve only ever cycled past there after having enjoyed the gully in Hampage Wood. 8)

Thanks. 🙂

mattbee

Bird in Hand in Lovedean may be worth a call, they have a selection of gluten free stuff as well as their normal menu. Off there tomorrow for Valentines day meal, most likely to have the venison wellington. Mmmmm….

wheelie

A bit unlickly, but had a very good fish stew there recently.

http://www.thecrownandanchorwinchester.co.uk/

wheelie

Spelling lessons needed!

luke
    Free Member

Not in Hampshire but not a million miles away:
    http://www.the-lobster-pot.co.uk/ would be my suggestion we used to meet friends here regularly for meals.

superfli
    Free Member

Bird in Hand in Lovedean serves lovely food. Not cheap though!
    Certainly a damn site nicer than when it was my local in my youth 😀

JulianA
    Free Member

We were rather disappointed with The Bush last time we went there. Not up to its previous standard.

TripAdvisor does suggest some other pubs nearby. I think it was The English Partridge that came out top, so we might give that a try next time, don’t know about gluten free, but you could always give them a call.

towzer

ot – La Tasca chain

Pubs, fyi – Weatherspoons and Hungry Horse menu mark

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hope that The Bush hasn’t changed hands! Not been for a while, so worrying to read that, Julian.

Sandwich

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vml6dHOoF9Y[/video]
    You’ll be needing a restaurant. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Wine is gluten free what you on about?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thoroughly recommend here, bit a a journey for you but well worth the effort, but don’t tell anyone else..

Thomas Lord Pub in West Meon

Or try the Flower Pots in Cheriton, not the best fine dining in Hants but the beer is most epic.

Or The Hampshire Bowman in Dundridge (near Bishops Waltham) again epic beer, great crowd, really good chef..

cinnamon_girl

Thanks chaps for more helpful replies. 🙂

As regards the Flower Pots at Cheriton, well they will never get a penny of my money again. Years ago I went there at lunchtime with my son and elderly parents. Son at the time had a ponytail and a tad scruffy but clean. They were downright miserable with us and felt that they would rather we left. 😐

Also, I had organised a ride and wanted to have lunch there so popped in the week before (think it was a Bank holiday) to ask about food serving times and there would be around 12 of us. No problem they said. We turned up there, was told that food has finished and got the feeling that we weren’t wanted. 😐

Frankly they’re a judgemental bunch of fools and only interested in Well-Heeled of Winchester types. 👿

Rant over!

bikebouy
    Free Member

:lol:Ahhh yes they can be a bit like that 😐 I took some mates there once and was told to sit outside with thier 6yr old.. Not the best hosts TBH but I’ve been there plenty since and not had a problem at all..

Ok, scrub that option then eh!! 😆

I don’t get up your way often, if you find a nice place ket us know eh.. ta

cinnamon_girl

Yes, poor attitude is wrong when your business is dependent on customers!

The one in West Meon looked nice, isn’t some of the A32 closed though?

Yak

Hampshire Bowman in Dundridge

yay! Pub of my youth!

FieldMarshall

Hi CG,

I have an app on my phone called “Live Gluten Free”, which allows to you search for GF pubs/restuarants etc. Which is quite useful.

Not a pub but I am relaibly informed that there is a good GF cafe in Twyford nr Winchester.

http://www.foodsforceliacs.com/

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve not been up the A32 for a little while so can’t help out there, sorry, and would only hack it from Fareham upwards anyhoo’s.

Hampshire Bowman is my Local Yak, it still rocks, real beer, real people !! 😆

wheelie

Yak and Bikebuoy Bowman my local too. Lived directly behind up the hill, now in Meonstoke

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ha neat!

They had some excellent beers in over New Year then selling them off for £2.00 a pint.. I over indulged 😆

Yak

Done a new year or few in the Bowman – all good!
    I’ll have to visit again soon – its been years since I’ve been there.

hmmm could combine this into a ride….

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

On Monday the A32 was closed next to the farm they sell the bulls (Farringdon)so quite far up nearer Alton way than Fareham way.
    Dominos now do a gluten free pizza if all else fails!
    Re Flowerpots I had forgotten they turned us away – we were starving by the end of the ride! MRPP is not a happy cheery person when he is hungry.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Such bad reports of the Flower Pots, yikes 😥

stumpy01

My mum-in-law is coeliac and we’ve found that most places will have some gluten free options on the menu.
    Probably just worth picking five suitably located pubs and ringing them all up. A couple we’ve been to have even had a separate gluten-free menu.

Often it’s the case that most of a dish is gluten free but only one aspect of it means it’s not gluten free. Several times we’ve been told that they can just substitute a certain part of a dish and it will be gluten free.

Yak

From many year ago, I remember the flowerpots as quite good. Nice beers and ciders brewed on site and lots of takeout at closing time. And you could put a tent up in the garden too.

Turning folk away now -sounds bad.

sbob
    Free Member

I’d imagine most places could sort you out as long as you give them a bit of notice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yak you can still do that, I’ve only been miffed once in 20yrs of beer’idge enjoyment there.. I remember it before the “banker boy” took over and turned it into his own micro brewery..

2 options on the food menu, egg & chips or gammon & chips..

Can’t see anything wrong with that 😆

Can’t wait to go back soon.. 😀

wheelie

Paul at Flowerpots was a real horses arse to Ray and Loopy (the brewers). Still he did them a favour really as they started the Bowman Brewery at Wallops Wood and I get to enjoy a Swift One……or two!

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

To add to the great pubs mentioned above:
    Northbrook Arms at East Stratton
    Tichborne Arms at Tichborne, though the road out is under water right now.
    The Yew Tree at Lower Wield ain’t bad either.
    Plenty of pubs in Alresford (but you know that!). The Globe changed hands last year and is run by the people ?ho have The Chestnut Horse in Easton which is another option.
    The cafe in Twyford mentioned above is the Bean Below but i think they’re flooded at the moment.
    Shocked to read about what happened in the ‘Pots. They’ve always been really friendly to me and I’m really scruffy and usually on a bike! Though it isn’t really a food pub.
    Oh, the A272 is closed at Bramdean.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for all the suggestions, plenty to research! 😀

Re Flowerpots I had forgotten they turned us away – we were starving by the end of the ride! MRPP is not a happy cheery person when he is hungry.

Mrs P – I was so embarrassed as well as angry for those who were hungry. Have never been back there and never will!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh I was wondering if that was the ride we were on. No. I wouldn’t go there again
    As I remember someone had some sandwiches we shared out?

There’s loads of good pubs in that area to be fair.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Hampshire: Pubs serving gluten-free food’ is closed to new replies.