• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by vww.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ham-fistedness
  • bri-72

Measure twice and cut once yeah. Gear cables.
    So I’ve given myself workspace, all tools at hand, bike in rack. All looking good.

Have outer cable slid on, held up to shifter to gauge length needed. A double check, even a wee look see if enough room for bikepacking bags. All good.
    SNIP.

B*ll*cks. I didn’t slide outer off inner before cutting. Now need cut more off outer so have enough inner (no spare inner).

Oh well. Just glad I’d left some slack.

Make me feel less stupid with your own tales. (Cue that pic of the fork install fail).

kerley
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call that ham fistedness but it sounds very similar to what typically happens when I do stuff. It is more not really thinking about what I am doing and rushing things that get me into problems.

the-muffin-man

I’m the master of just a quarter turn too much.

“I’ll just nip it up a teeny bit more – aaaaah bollocks!” 🙂

longdog
    Free Member

That was me muffin man,until I got a torque wrench, now I struggle to believe things are actually tight enough 🤣

bri-72

I use a torque wrench, then a normal one to check and give a bit more!

doris5000

It is more not really thinking about what I am doing and rushing things that get me into problems.

This is me. I have a special combination of laziness and hasty slapdashness.

I procrastinate for days, weeks, months. But then one day I will suddenly have the impetus to Do The Thing. There is no time to waste, this may be only a short window of motivation, and if it anything delays me – like discovering that this is harder than I blithely assumed and will require some actual thought and possibly even a trip to Screwfix (which is all of a 10 minute walk away) – then the window may close for another year.

So – quick! Get the drill out, don’t think too much or it might never happen!

This is why the mirror in the hall is at a slightly jaunty angle, and why the DVD shelves in the front room aren’t quite high enough for a DVD at the ends with the battens. And why I now prefer to pay someone else to do practical things for me.

vww

Had a ham-fisted/stupid moment this week which I’m still bitter about. Long story short, tried to swap end caps on a Hope RS4 front hub from QR to 12mm. Hope end caps just pull off, right? Easy. Except they are totally seized. Try some oil, then obviously resort to some force – nothing going. Then, the stupid moment.

Tried levering against the hub shell. Watch in despair as a 5mm section of the centre-lock thread at the lip pings off into oblivion. End caps still stuck fast.

A day later, and I happen by chance to note that the end caps, at least at one end, screw off.

So, now have a broken hub shell and am wondering whether to use the wheel knowing the centre lock thread is ‘compromised’. Will I die? Is it worth a new hub/wheel to be safe? To be fair, the disc did go back on and tighten up fine, but the worry, it’s there, burrowing away…

For me, the grief is still to near. Will need some distance to think on this clearly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.