Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ham fisted, unlucky or crap SRAM design?
  • matt_outandabout

I bought eldest_oab an NX Eagle 12sp upgrade set before Christmas.

The shifter has now stopped working beyond highest 3 gears. Eldest had adjusted new cable a bit wth barrell, then undid cable, wound adjuster right in, then tightens cable again.

It transpires the inner end of the barrel adjuster when right in fouls the internals of the shifter.

He gave it some beans to shift, not realising it was barrel adjuster fouling, and it’s clearly done something.

No cable in, it shifts ok. Any resistance and it just won’t shift beyond gear 4. You can feel it but right in the shift – it’s a judder not a click.

It’s going back with a nice note to warranty it (to Germany, as we bought from shop there), but this seems a fundamental design issue?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d probably drop a message/tweet to SRAM and see what they come up with, either it’s a cock up in design or production there or your lad has immense strength on the barrel adjuster and it’s gone through something inside that wasn’t meant to move!!!

sharkattack

When I worked in a workshop I saw a lot of the new Sram shifters jamming up. The cable end was prone to slipping out of the ratchet inside the shifter and when you shift back the other way it folds over and needs dismantling.

Easy fix but shouldn’t be happening. Not sure what’s wrong with yours but this was pretty common.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the shifters are pretty cheap, which may soften the blow…

DickBarton

Doesn’t need to go to Germany as sram warranty is worldwide…can be sent to UK but I don’t know if it needs to go through a shop or not.

kiwizak
    Free Member

could it possibly be a limit screw on the derailleur?

matt_outandabout

It’s definitely the shifter internal

– mech can travel full cassette pushed by hand.
    – when no cable is in, I can click up and down on shifter with no problems.
    – as soon as (new) cable and outer are connected, it just has three positive shifts then a ‘click & jump’ feeling.

I’ve had it apart – no obvious issues, apart from at first noticing how far in the adjuster goes.

DickBarton

There is an end cap on the outer, yes?

oikeith

When I worked in a workshop I saw a lot of the new Sram shifters jamming up. The cable end was prone to slipping out of the ratchet inside the shifter and when you shift back the other way it folds over and needs dismantling.

I’ve seen this happen out on the trail too, not fun to fix when cold and wet!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ham fisted, unlucky or crap SRAM design?’ is closed to new replies.