Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Halifax/Norland Routes
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ll be staying over in Halifax this weekend at the in-laws (near Manor Heath Park) and the wife has suggested I should ride Norland Moor.

Unfortunately the only route I can find is on Komoot and it just seems to skirt along the edges of the moor. Looking on Strava there seems to be interesting looking segments on the moor itself. Although trying to source a route from these is proving difficult.

Does anybody local have a decent, definitive route they regularly ride taking in all of the best bits that side of Halifax and on the moor they would be willing to share? Something generally easy and intuitive to ride.

Cheers

lank45
    Free Member

Where you’re stopping and where you plan on riding is my stomping ground, lots of routes up to, over and around Norland. Can you give me an idea of what you like to ride (xc, fast downhill, technical etc…) and how long you want to be out for and I’ll try do you a route on mapmyrun or something.

Ben

jaylittle
    Free Member

Following – just started exploring this area myself. Been using the spring rock inn as a base.

lank45
    Free Member

Sounds like a ride out is needed in the not too distant future

Simon

North Dean woods and Elland Park woods are worth a look.
    Try posting on one of the Calderdale FB groups for route ideas.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers Ben, much appreciated. I guess I like a bit of everything really. Happily ride for 2 to 2 and a half hours / 30 to 35km on the local trails (North Leeds) with <600M of up/down. Regularly ride Ilkley Moor which is more concentrated, steeper and descent orientated. Bingley, Sheff, Peak, Tod, etc.

In the past I’ve driven over to Tod and rode the bike that way. It would be good to have an option straight from the (in-laws) door.

woody2000

Norland is currently under a bit of a cloud in terms of riding, there are actually no legal routes across it for bikes (just walkers and horses). That’s not to say you shouldn’t ride it, just something to bear in mind. When are you over? I might be able to sneak a ride in sat morning and show you round, if not I can certainly put a route together for you 🙂

lank45
    Free Member

Leave it with me, I’m working from home tomorrow so I’ll pull something together.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Yes Elland woods are worth an explore. Also visited the woods at rastrict, not sure what they are called. Certainly an area I’ll keep exploring.

drob59
    Free Member

Ogden Reservoir, nice xc 1 hour loop.

lank45
    Free Member

Try this

Route starts by Manor Heath park and takes in a few differing trails with a view to avoiding the road. There is an out and back section which can be skipped should you wish to and the bulk of the route should show you some of the other trails in the area (they are pretty obvious as you are riding along).

Let me know if you want a bit of a description for the route way points and I can pull it together today.

barney
    Free Member

The Komoot route is perforce legal – it’s an official Komoot one, so they can’t be seen to endorse anything illegal – although looking at it the bit that touches the moor might not be as legal as all that (and it’s a lot of fun as a descent). There are plans afoot to make the moor permissible at least in part but there are enormous complications to this, and of course a variety of different viewpoints to contend with. The Copley Cracker descent is well worth playing with though, and I recommend Elland Park Woods as well as Copley Woods (on the maps as North Dean Woods).

barney
    Free Member

Jay Little – do you mean Strangstry Woods? There’s a lot of fun stuff in there (including the infamous Rasstrick Rampage drop :-D)

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

That’s marvellous Ben. Much appreciated. I’ll get that on the Garmin and follow it round on Sunday morning. Looking forward to it.

lank45
    Free Member

By the way it takes you past a couple of pubs but I’d recommend The Moorcock Inn. The route goes right to the door and they do a great pint and really good sourdough to take away!

Mugboo

Pack yer bug spray if your’e off int woods, its very bitey round here..

Elland Woods is easily accessed from Southawram Cricket Club just make sure you turn right as you get to the actual woods or you are about to lose all your height for nowt. Lots of great lines in their, most spit you out in the park opposite the Colliers.

Rastrick Woods is chocked full of techy choices but they are much harder to find but you will still enjoy the descent. Whichever way down you end up at the railway line and can cross it back to the canal (luckily opposite the climb up to Southowram, Ashday Lane)

Norland is more off a place to pass over rather a destination but is a nice little loop, before heading off back to North Dean or descending Copley Cracker

nigew
    Free Member

Have a look at the Calderdale Way descent off highLee lane down towards Ripponden! It’s officially a footpath but if you push past the house in the woods & be polite you’ll be fine! The climb back up Rip bank is brutal but worth the descent!
    Norland is ok but best used as a way to access other things

jaylittle
    Free Member

Barney, it’s the woods near William Henry Smith, I always take the same route, should probably explore s bit really.

lank45
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on KoB

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Absolutely spot on Ben. I rode this morning from the in-laws front door. I’ve very rarely used the navigation function of my E820 so there were a few teething issues. So not knowing the area that well and not knowing how accurate or prescriptive the route is there were a few stop/start/check/start/stop/check moments.

But the route in general was great. Just the right amount of climbing, descending, distance, tech, etc and a great introduction to the area. I enjoyed the two descent orientated aspects of Norland Moor. Although the last bit towards the Moorcock Inn caught me out on the first descent. Really enjoyed just rallying the second bit of single track after I’d climbed back up (although I was seconds away from being swallowed up by a road race taking place when climbing back up the road from the Moorcock Inn).

Cat Lane Man Holes and Puntle Hall descents were cracking. As was the Copley Cracker. Although somewhat blown out. I added a couple of bits I’d seen on Strava too. The first was on t’Moor and didn’t live up to its Enduro name (it ends in the carpark next to a kids playground). The other was Blue Balls Descent before climbing back for the Copley Cracker.

Just a few questions on bits I wasn’t quite sure on.

The bit behind the Skircoat church. I followed what I thought was the route yet there looked to be other options in those woods. A steep line that started with a sharp left near some steps? I’ll investigate this another time. Although the start of the track was blocked off initially at the back of the church yard. I also nearly got wedged between a tree and a wall and I only run 760mm bars.

North Dean Woods. I’m not sure I started the climb on the correct path at first but stuck left and climbed up to the top. I then proceeded along a thin footpath between a fence and walled drop into the woods which started from three metal poles. Did I need to drop back into the woods at this point? There seemed to be a trail on the map below the footpath?

Also, just before that cobbled intro to the Copley Cracker. There was a little trail from the road that drops onto the cobbled road. I missed it. Plus I was heading for the Blue Balls bit. Was I supposed to ride that?

Cheers

Mik

nigew
    Free Member

The bit behind the Skircoat church. I followed what I thought was the route yet there looked to be other options in those woods. A steep line that started with a sharp left near some steps? I’ll investigate this another time. Although the start of the track was blocked off initially at the back of the church yard. I also nearly got wedged between a tree and a wall and I only run 760mm bars.

The footpath is closed, the wall is leaning over, it’s possible to go to the right of the church and jump over the wall.
    The steep trail by the steps is good, not so much so in the wet, it leads down to the bottom of Cow Lane.
    When you head down again, go to the right of the trees, a new line has appeared for wide bars 😉

Also, just before that cobbled intro to the Copley Cracker. There was a little trail from the road that drops onto the cobbled road. I missed it. Plus I was heading for the Blue Balls bit. Was I supposed to ride that?

That sneaky part is good if you’re riding Puntle into Copley Cracker/ Hollas Lane, watch the end as it drops onto the cobbles

Enjoy exploring, there’s plenty to find

lank45
    Free Member

Really glad you enjoyed it!

So to answer your questions…
    Church: that route down, starting at the steps, is the one to go down and links back to the main road after crossing the train line

North Dean: you were on the right track there

Copley: yes that was part of the route but isn’t a huge amount missed although still a fun section

Let me know if you are ever back over, I’ve lots more routes like that I’d be happy to map and share

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I did some more reccy this morning. I started the same but headed up Exley Bank Top? and onwards to Siddal Top Farm on route to Southowram before descending into the top of Elland Park Woods.

I traversed an undulating highline before descending into Cromwell Bottom and climbing back up the other side in Rastrick Woods. Then descending back down and retracing my route via Southowram CC before descending through the woods ending in a childrens playground/field.

Really nice flowing singletrack in the woods. Looking forward to riding it again as todays ride was very stop, start.

Mugboo was right though. Its very bitey. Especially Rastrick. There were midges the size of sparrows wanting to gorge on my sweatiness.

All I need to do now is piece both routes together.

andybrad

good work.

yea take repellent. a lot of us have holes in our legs from them. No idea what they are but some nasty reactions.

elland / rastrick is a peach atm

Mugboo

Once you are suitably repellantid keep your eyes peeled in Razzy Woods, its chock full of my ‘improvements’ with something to test most of your skills, its just not all that obvious (intentionally).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Halifax/Norland Routes’ is closed to new replies.