Halfrauds doing well; was it you?

Home Forum Bike Forum Halfrauds doing well; was it you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Halfrauds doing well; was it you?
  • Jamie

I must admit as soon as Halfords do a a decent deal on the Boardman Hybrids i will be in there.

cynic-al

Surely it’s also due to having sewn up the BTW scheme and making it easy for employers?

Heck, I buy components from them sometimes as it’s a 10 minute walk from work. They have their place in the market.

The Boardman commuter bikes look good to me and great value (I’m not a bike snob). The MTBs look a bit racy for my liking but would suit some I’m sure.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

i’m seriously considering one of their road bikes – especially if planet-x dont get a move on and get their updated carbon builds online soon!

On R4 this morning. Apparently they are doing very well due to an increasing interest in cycling (and buying bikes, I assume). The Chris Boardman range was mentioned as a highlight.

Are LBSs riding the wave too?

Dancake

The prices of their bog standard bits/ bobs can be quite reasonable, actually. Also I really fancy one of the 800 quid boardman FS Comps..not sure you can get them anywhere else?

And there is always one nearby…

Kramer

Loads of their bikes seem to be getting good reviews in the mags.

Rambo

I got one of the Boardman road bikes on CTW scheme and according to the chap when I picked it up the vast majority of people get Boardmans of some description.

They are cracking value on their own let alone with the scheme and I also got 15% in free stuff as well.

All in if you take off the value of the freebies that I needed (ok I dont’ need a carbon bottle cage) it cost me about £360 for an £800 bike.

No wonder they’re doing well.

nukeproof

Did like the Bikehut in Dorking and bit the odd few bits in there. Shame its now become a Halfords Express or whatever they call it. Never really had an issue with Halfords as my expectations are never high when I go into one of the stores.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

The Boardmans are pretty damn nice… So are some of the Carreras too, try finding anything else for £500 that rides as well as an 08 Fury (without going into the sales- though even then it’s still not easy).

Kramer

I think that the Voodoo Banshee or something did quite well in a recent group test.

Halfords seem to be on a roll, not surprising when you consider the money to be made by supplying reasonable quality gear in bulk, and undercutting the LBS.

grievoustim

Bikehut in brighton is now a halfords express also. Nice bikes all gone and fed up looking staff. Assumed this was cos they were doing badly

steve_b77

I do fancy a Boardman hybrid thingy if I end up moving to the smoke

nukeproof

Assumed this was cos they were doing badly

From talking to one of the guys in Dorking a while back, it was a change in senior management…they just didn’t see the point of having 6 Bikehut stores relative to 400 odd normal stores

rlt

Got a Boardman Pro hybrid from Halfords. Got served by a young lad who knew what he was doing/talking about, so went back when my lad wanted a jump bike. GT bike, better spec and price than from a GT dealer. May of just got lucky!

Houns

Ok I may be biased – Boardman bikes are great VFM.

We sold over 1m bikes last year, 1 in 3 sold in UK.

2010? Well you can wait and see

petrieboy

i worked in halfords when i was a schoolboy (many many moons ago), all the part time lads in the cycles departments were cycling club members and some successful racers. fair enough the full time staff and the lads that sold car stereo’s were mostly barely literate morons, but turn up to look at a bike on a weekend or weekday during the busy holiday periods and odds on you’d get some good advice and service. always assumed other stores would be the same.

Edit – but it’s cycle to work thats responsible for their profits of late for sure!!

Premier Icon jim the saint
    Subscriber

We sold over 1m bikes last year, 1 in 3 sold in UK.

LBS’s still kicking your arse by selling twice as many bikes as you do 😉

zaskar

Halfords? LOL wouldn’t buy a bike from them ever. 😆

Sometimes cleaning stuff but thats it.

is that a snobbery issue Zaskar ? 😉

Premier Icon jim the saint
    Subscriber

Oh just remembered something. I went into the Halfords store in Rhyl to buy a spoke to fix a wheel on my father-in-laws hybrid. I was told by the guys in the workshop that “we don’t stock spokes we have to order them in”.

STATO

LBS’s still kicking your arse by selling twice as many bikes as you do

I reckon argos, motor-world, tesco etc. must account for at least a third these days too. Youve got to remember that LBS only really sell to (or are frequented by) people who are/may interested in cycling, the rest are just people who want a bike and these other suppliers (halfords, argos etc.) fill that requirement for much less £££ to the customer.

STATO

I was told by the guys in the workshop that “we don’t stock spokes we have to order them in”

Thats not that uncommon in a lot of LBS’s now!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

According to their TV ad, Apollo is the UKs number 1 bike brand.
    I presume they mean sales-wise

Rich

How often do you need to buy a spoke though?

I’ve never bought one in my life.

petrieboy

“we don’t stock spokes we have to order them in”.

to be fair, try buying a single spoke in most LBS or even the big online retailers and you’ll struggle. thing to consider is they WILL order it for you. indeed they will order in almost anything you like.

zaskar

buzz-lightyear – Member

is that a snobbery issue Zaskar ?

Nope-just seen how Halfrauds try to put bikes together and how they try to service bikes-pathetic. No training whatsoever-seen peoples peddles fall off in the car park and watched a guy hit the flooe with his new bike.

For every 1 decent Halfrogs store; there 30 $hit stores.

I also observed Halfrogs staff playing football with boxed helmets that they sell-how nice of them. Reducing any safety protection that a helmet might be able to sustain.

Halfrogs tend to employ spotty teenagers who think they only a few tyres according to one staff member.

I like to support my LBS-because there are come cracking bike shops and customer service out there.

Halfrogs do sell quality cleaning liquids and BMW oil filters cheap.
    If I observed great service from their cycle staff I would say so but I have been impressed by their car parts staff.

druidh

buzz-lightyear – Member

zaskar – Member

Yes

Houns

I used to be a Halfords Snob, happily admit it. But i’ve grown up (ok a bit) and changed that view since working there. I have ridden a Boardman bike (road, hybrid, mountain – Depends what i can take out) more than i have ridden my Santa Cruz Blur LT and my Orange SS over the last 10 months

zaskar

druidh – Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

zaskar – Member

Yes

I’m sure the bikes are fine-just put them together yourself…
    Good spec and price.

I still wouldn’t buy one from Halfrogs or any LBS that kick helmets around.

I’d just rather build my own or buy a bike from any of the LBS I use who have been great I wouldn’t go anywhere else. Some LBS are not so great too.

I’d like to add Halfrogs but they’ve been terrible to me and loads of others. Boardman looks like a bargain-still wouldn’t have one from Halfwits. 😛

scuttler

Got a Joe Blow trackpump for about 20 quid. No complaints from me. Also do expensive VAG oil for a damn site cheaper than the stealers charge when it comes to service time.

Premier Icon TonyT
    Subscriber

Zaskar, did you take the time to speak to the store manager? I’m sure any employer would have frowned upon a member of the shop staff vandalising stock. any chain that has over 450 shops is going to have some duff employees, you must be unlucky to have had such bad service from your local store.

Halfords have bailed on the standalone Bikehuts (& trial cycle republics) – not taking enough of the market share bikebiz link re:- bikehut demise

TonyT

julianwilson

petrieboy – Member

“we don’t stock spokes we have to order them in”.

to be fair, try buying a single spoke in most LBS or even the big online retailers and you’ll struggle. thing to consider is they WILL order it for you. indeed they will order in almost anything you like.

the five lbs’s (of the seven in total round my way) have boxes and boxes of spokes and all will build you a wheel.

The bikehut (whose massive shop-floor-space is only equalled by the specialized concept enormo-store in Saltash) has a pitiful selection of spares and parts. They certainly don’t have spokes and their workshop is a coupe of square metres behind the desk with a workstand and slightly more tools than i have in my rather modest garage.

I hear great things from people on here about the expertise and indeed nice parts in their local halfords/bikehuts but sadly, i have heard some proper nonsense in terms of sales, advice and ‘my new bike doesn’t work’ fobbings-off from the staff in my local one. What i also like about my lbs’s is that they will advise you on what it is you need before they order it for you, and you don’t have to wait a week for them to fit it.

trail_rat

work for halfords(at least the ones around edinburgh and lanark) you are given 25 mins to go from box to pdi when building a bike at christmas time. I wouldnt feel happy building a bike that quick and giving it to a customer.

also
    GT bike, better spec and price than from a GT dealer.

wrong .. halfords GT are on a very inferior quality and heavy frame compared to the real GT brand bikes.

try comparing an aggressor (halfords) to an avalanche (lbs) the reason they are cheap is the shit frames that they have…

Lanesra

Halfords sells to the lowest common dominator. Boardmans havs a great spec (gears/fork etc) but the frame and wheels are cheap shit

grumm

The people in my local Halfords seem completely disinterested and useless – it is handy it being open til 8 and only 2 minutes walk away though – has meant many jobs could get finished when discovering I needed another bit/tool or whatever.

varzi

bikes from halfords are not inherently crapper than bikes bought somewhere else. the service is variable, according to the member of staff you happen to get, but i’ve found that in almost every lbs i’ve ever been in so it seems churlish to hold that against them.
    shame they’re shutting the cycle republics, good deals and (in york) pleasant staff. excellent place to go if you’re tied to halfords cycle to work.

jumping_flea

I put some work halfords way.
    I signed up for the year maintenace plan for 2 bikes. The cover is just 15 quid. If I put a wheel out of true or what minor works doing on either bike then I can just wheel it in.

My LBS does any major work but it is an hour round trip and last time I phoned them up to book my bike in there was a three week wait – not good for a quick repair.

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

Needed a conventional front mech last year, new frame had arrived and I wanted one same day so I could ride straight away. Three possible LBSs in town couldn’t supply any. Halfords had SRAM in stock. Not much bling in their parts stock, but for chains, lube, tubes, tyres and stuff to get you going again when something breaks, and open most evenings, what’s not to like. My nearest LBS almost never has what I want in stock, so why would I bother? CRC or Merlin if I want something specific.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

“Halfords sells to the lowest common dominator. Boardmans havs a great spec (gears/fork etc) but the frame and wheels are cheap shit”

Total rubbish tbh, nothing wrong with the frames or the ritchey wheels, better’n the Mavic 117 and Alex stuff you find on most bikes sub £1000.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Halfrauds doing well; was it you?’ is closed to new replies.