Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Halfrauds. A new low!!!
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s not me that it bothers.

As ever, you stick to whatever method of provocation that gives you the attention you crave though.

I don’t crave attention, though I do like to be amused.
    If i wanted attention from people on an Internet cycling forum I would actively cultivate a persona that appeased those needs, be it a buffoon who wished to share the daily minutiae of their lives and revelling in the backlash or perhaps a self opinionated arbiter of wisdom and all things north of the border or some other ‘personality’. I don’t post enough nor do I have the need.

what phrase to you use the most?

Lately it seems to be:
    “No, I don’t have a nectar card”
    “Double espresso please”

njee20
    Free Member

Who said bodge they seem to be repairing components that may not need repairing to the extent they advise buying a new bike – is that not “bodging” a sales?

I’m not talking about that, the OP advocated replacement of some damaged chain links. IMO unless the customer specifically requested that its the sort of thing you’d do as a home fix, not what I’d expect a shop to do. I accept the customer may not have realised this was an option, but IME most folk without good working knowledge of bikes just want it to work, particularly for a commuter. To do half a job, then have it come back because there are more damaged links is a significantly less satisfactory resolution than the additional £3 on the new chain in the first place.

So repairing a punctured inner tube is not fixing it fully then?

It’s not something I’d ever expect a shop to do. It can be a bit hit and miss, it takes time and saves very little cost. Bit like replacing bits of a chain 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

junkyard did you also know you can dry out tea bags and reuse ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    unklehomered
    Free Member

NRATS but where was this OP? wasn’t a northern spa town was it?

I ask as I spoke to someone yesterday on a carerra, with a knackered mech hanger, in a hurry… As it was a carerra a and he needed the specif mech hanger, I errr… might have suggested he go to halfords as they stock the bikes… 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

When you repair a puncture you do something to make it good as new – thanks for the really crap analogy

It’s not something I’d ever expect a shop to do.

I would assume it would cost the same tbh given labour charges and I agree but it is not a bodge

Mr smith nothing more tragic than trolls denying they crave a reaction

wrightyson
    Free Member

I am now a pillock 😆

unklehomered
    Free Member

wrightyson – where did this happen?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Mr smith nothing more tragic than trolls denying they crave a reaction

More tragic? A car full of hooligans running over an ickle bambi deer, a chorus of bacchanalian laughter as they throw cans of cheap imported lager at its quivering carcass as the last flickers of life drain away?
    Britains got Talent contestants?

Isn’t that what forums are for? A reaction be it affirmation of a vanity purchase, plaudits from your peers for a strava KOM, answers to ‘what tyre’ or how to stop co-workers stealing your biscuits? Without a reply/reaction/discourse there is no forum.

njee20
    Free Member

When you repair a puncture you do something to make it good as new – thanks for the really crap analogy

It’s not a crap analogy, there’s a difference between what I may expect a home mechanic to do, and what I’d expect a shop to do. Likewise fitting headsets with a hammer and a block of wood.

If you’d intervene in a shop if you heard them saying they just replace tubes then I pity any shop you visit!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“If you’d intervene in a shop if you heard them saying they just replace tubes then I pity any shop you visit! “

Its ok njee – we will know when he has tried it ….

thread titled

“kicked out of LBS for no reason”

Junkyard
    Free Member

I meant the tea bag comment and as i said above I would expect a shop to replace the tube
    Sorry for the lack of clarity

Edukator
    Free Member

I always gave customers a choice about punctures. You can have a new tube for 25 francs, I’ll fit it right now for another 20 or you can leave the bike with me to repair the tube when I’ve got time and it’ll be 50 francs labour.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh to copy Njee great wit are you two a couple 🙄
    do you just make a straw man together?

scaredypants

Wow, edukator – your shop was on the high street in monte carlo, I assume

njee20
    Free Member

Wow, edukator – your shop was on the high street in monte carlo, I assume

Was it not about 10FF:£1, making that a bargain by current standards. We charged £10.

Oh to copy Njee great wit are you two a couple
    do you just make a straw man together?

Hilarious. Well done. Might hold a bit more weight if we’d done more than posted consecutively on one thread. Don’t let that get in the way of your hilarity though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was copying a “joke” that you made- yes your “joke” was weak and pointless- that was rather my point

njee20 – Member
    Are wrightyson and junkyard a couple?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-livid-wife-bgt-content#post-5053149

Anyway I doubt this has anywhere to go so Happy trails

oldgit
    Free Member

£100 sounds fine.
    My last bent hanger did for the rear mech as well. The chain also snapped and that in turn damaged a few chainring teeth.

New hanger
    New rear mech
    New middle ring
    New chain. Not repairing one after that.
    New cassette. Never replace one without the other.
    New rear cable.
    Much much more at trade and fitted by myself than Halfords quoted £100

The guy needs his bike rebuilt and in perfect working order for Monday. You can’t take a ‘well try this and if it doesn’t work pop it back’ attitude.
    And FWIW a Halfords in Wales (somewhere?) repaired a set of SID’s there and then so we could get on with our ride. I’ve also been into Halfords for some corking deals, but I never need anyone to service my bikes.
    AFAIC Halfords still have a lot of Karma in the bank.

njee20
    Free Member

I was copying a “joke” that you made- yes your “joke” was weak and pointless- that was rather my point

I know exactly why you did it. My point was that you cropped up on two of Wrighty Son’s threads clinging to his coat tails, all Edukator and me did was post a mildly similar comment on one thread. But don’t you worry about it skipper.

mboy
    Free Member

Wow, I thought this thread had just about died… But junky’s total lack of understanding about professionalism, service and what labour actually costs have added a whole new dimension to it!

Just because you can fix your own bike at home to what you deem “satisfactory” by your own standards, doesn’t mean it is by someone else’s. In a shop, you can’t take risks. You fix the problems that you find, so that they don’t come back. Otherwise you’re creating a whole new level of problems and ensuing customer dissatisfaction. Is it better to charge £30 for a bodge job and the customer comes back in in a months time with the same problem, or £100 for a guaranteed fix?

Fortunately for most customers out there, its obvious who those posting on this thread are that actually work in a bike shop, and who the have a go heroes are.

scaredypants

Was it not about 10FF:£1, making that a bargain by current standards. We charged £10.

ah, fair point – I was on Euros 😳

bearnecessities

Squirrels.

Junkyard
    Free Member

My point was that you cropped up on two of Wrighty Son’s threads clinging to his coat tails,

Nice use of a colourful description I agreed with him on this thread about this issue then made a joke on another about this thread [ well him hiding the sausage actually] 🙄
    Quite tedious do you wish to stop and just discuss the issue yet or carry on like this?

all Edukator and me[sic] did was post a mildly similar comment on one thread.

For the second time explicitly I was mocking your joke/point not making the same a point. Yes it is weak but it was your point not mine. How many times do you need this saying ? attacking this is to attack your “point” not mine. Yes I agree it is a weak point to make that was why I mocked you for making it.

Just because you can fix your own bike at home to what you deem “satisfactory” by your own standards, doesn’t mean it is by someone else’s.

My “standards” – thanks for that- you bike spanner monkeys sure seem nice 😕
    I have at no point argued for sub standard repairs I have argued that fixing a puncture is not a bodge and I would expect a shop to replace as it was faster/cheaper.

Is it better to charge £30 for a bodge job and the customer comes back in in a months time with the same problem, or £100 for a guaranteed fix?

You know what , if i ran a shop i would let the customer decide 💡
    personally I would go for the later but we dont know from the OP what needed doing and they upped it to over £100+ and argued for a new bike – would you do that ?

Fortunately for most customers out there, its obvious who those posting on this thread are that actually work in a bike shop, and who the have a go heroes are.

Is it the ones who call people pillocks , dont like their own jokes, mock others “standards” and use ad homs like Have a go heroes ?

Mantastic
    Free Member

This thread is just like the good old days, how I miss them, oh actually no I don’t.

Not long before this one gets closed

njee20
    Free Member

Slightly ironic really, as I never used to get involved in those days. Maybe they’ve banned all the argumentative ones, so decent well meaning folk like me are lowered to this?!

bearnecessities

Squirrels.

Edukator
    Free Member

Always interesting comparing car and bike threads on here. Molgrips gets slagged off on a car thread for letting a local mechanic bodge his Passat rather than take it to the dealer where they’ll do it properly yet on a bike thread Halfords get slagged off for doing it properly.

This thread has reminded me why I never post on the bike forum – bikes are for fun and not really worth arguing about.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Yes it is

njee20
    Free Member

This is the chat forum though?

DezB
    Free Member

This thread is like a proper soap opera – characters, sub-plots, arguments… got it all. Much funnier than Eastenders too.
    Love it 😀

Cougar

And on that note.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Halfrauds. A new low!!!’ is closed to new replies.