Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Halfords to stock Pinarello
  • heihei

Announced this morning. Clearly looking to move up in the world of road bikes. Can’t wait to hear the sales patter for this one!

Dark-Side

That’s a great idea Pinarello!

Said no one, ever.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I doubt they will stock many dogma’s or the like. But can see them shifting plenty of FP1’s and the other Alloy models.

njee20
    Free Member

Pinarello’s range for 2013 is disappointing anyway IMO. The only Dogmas are all with EPS, and no Team Sky replica – bike or frame. I’d expect that to be ‘the one’ people aspire to. The catalogue is filled with photos of Cav and Wiggins, but you can’t get that bike.

Dark-Side

No doubt, but how much damage will it do to the brand long term. People buy a Dogma for exclusivity, they don’t want a similar bike sold through the local car engine oil retailer.

bol

Never understood the idea of buying a Dogma for exclusivity when they’re so high profile. I think its more likely people buy them because they’re a status symbol that most people with an interest in cycling will be aware of.

I don’t get them at all. It looks like they’ve been left out in the sun too long. Ugly melted things.

I’m sure they’ll sell plenty in Halfords though.

titusrider
    Free Member

Hamfisted mechanic write off £3000 carbon frame…..

And pinerello lose all appeal they ever had

johnellison
    Free Member

Meh. Any credibility Pinarello had has just gone right out the window. I hope Halfrauds know what they’re doing – Pinarello bikes are massively overpriced, you’re paying for the name.

MadPierre

Where was it announced? got a linky?

heihei
    RV
    Free Member

They have trouble supplying there existing dealers with bikes as they are just a little company, can’t see that getting any better when they now have Halfords to feed.

mattbee

Get over yourselves, you pretentious ****.
    what’s wrong with a brand attempting to reach a broader market? Just because it meand ‘joe Bloggs’ might buy one doesn’t make it a bad thing.
    I’m quite sure that oinarello wouldn’t have signed the del if it wasn’t worth their while.

MadPierre

Cheers. Wind up email to Dogma owning friends sent! 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

they’re a status symbol that most people with an interest in cycling will be aware of

Yeh a passing interest rather a ‘real’ cyclist. I don’t think many proper cyclists lust after a pinarello

mokl
    Free Member

I’ve nothing at all against Halfords and I’m sure they’ll put a lot of effort into doing a good job. But in the UK at least, this must be commercial suicide for an aspirational brand like Pinarello?!

PiknMix
    Free Member

guess I’m a pretentious four star then.

I wouldn’t buy a bike that Halfords stock.

aracer
    Free Member

Any credibility Pinarello had has just gone right out the window.

I think that already happened

motozulu
    Free Member

I’d have a Boardman hardtail off Halfords tomorrow. Just would’nt let them service it, is all. 😀

stevied
    Free Member

Jees, that one fugly bike..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why shouldn’t they cash in by selling alloy bikes through halfords. They must have poured a fortune into Team Sky over the years, because I bet Brailsfords innundated with offers for kit from Spesh/Trek/Cannondale/Felt/Canyon/Bianchi/etc so whatever they’re paying it won’t be cheep to get Sky riding them.

They’re a business, they exist to make money, not appease people on internet forums who in all likelyhood would never buy a dogma whether they could afford it or not.

Having said that, they are unforgivably ugly.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The easy availability of chinarellos have done far more to damage the brand than choosing to sell in halfords will do.

RV
    Free Member

lucien

There is a bigger picture here about Halfords wanting to play with the big boys. Lots of the the leading mfrs / distributors are locked into or owned by larger retailers – think CRC/Wiggle/Evans.

Selling Pinarello’s could be the straw that breaks the camels back, and widens the market of distribution up, meaning lower prices, more choice and better access to products for all. Could even help get more cyclists on bikes….

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

They must have poured a fortune into Team Sky over the years, because I bet Brailsfords innundated with offers for kit from Spesh/Trek/Cannondale/Felt/Canyon/Bianchi/et

Cav had personal sponsorship with Spec and it was costing a fortune to buy that contract out- rumour was if he was staying at Sky they were going to drop Pina and go with Spec.

Pinerello at Halfords? Rapha sponsoring Sky? I obviously dont understand business as the meeting of mass-market and niche/aspirational brands doesnt make sense to me. Are Pina going to extend their “entry level” alloy range? Will they be better looking than the Dogma, the ugliest road bike on the market?

The easy availability of chinarellos have done far more to damage the brand than choosing to sell in halfords will do.

How do you figure that? Fakes dont devalue a brand. Loads of fake Oakleys about but doesn’t harm their business as people with the money to buy the original do so. Selling them in Tesco might.

hora
    Free Member

I bet that posh bikeshop in central Manchester will be pleased…………

ibnchris

another brand bites the dust…

Dark-Side

Are Yellow still distributing Pinarello then? I wonder if this is going to be like the Kona and GT Halfords deals where they offer different models to those sod via IBD’s.

fasthaggis

3 for the price of 2 anyone ? 🙂

Houns

Some very sad people on this thread

Northwind

Love this thread, watch the brand snobs explode 😆

Doubly ironic as only one brand has been seriously damaged by Halfords recently- and it was GT, when Halfords dropped them and they lost the majority of their UK sales.

nano
    Free Member

Mattbee + 1 why the snobbery?

Silly me! Forgot I was on STW 😉

RustySpanner

Dark Side – Member

People buy a Dogma for exclusivity, they don’t want a similar bike sold through the local car engine oil retailer.

So, it’s brand bought by pretentious idiots who don’t really care about bikes then?

Pik n Mix – Member

guess I’m a pretentious four star then.

I wouldn’t buy a bike that Halfords stock.
    You said it 😀

I’d buy the best bike for the price, even if it had ‘ASDA’ or ‘ALDI’
    engraved on the downtube in flaming letters of fire.

nick1962
    Free Member

Love this thread, watch the brand snobs explode

Totally agree.
    What’s wrong with more people being able to afford better bikes? If a free market reduces prices then bring it on.
    Save your ire for the brands who won’t let retailers discount and in effect fix pricing.

nasher
    Free Member

Hmmm brands that halfords killed….saracen, kona, airborne, voodoo…and Im sure there are others…

But good luck to them anyway, i can see the appeal dropping after a while and by then the brand “snobs” will have moved to another brand..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get over yourselves, you pretentious ****.
    what’s wrong with a brand attempting to reach a broader market? Just because it meand ‘joe Bloggs’ might buy one doesn’t make it a bad thing.
    I’m quite sure that oinarello wouldn’t have signed the del if it wasn’t worth their while

Well said (If not spelled 😉 ) Matt!

deviant
    Free Member

Brilliant thread, snobbery at it’s worst!

The product hasn’t changed, just the vendor and now the posers are up in arms….this reminds me of those bellends who were happily frequenting Harris & Hoole coffee shops until they found out that Tesco have a large stake in the company… now the poor dears are moaning they have to find a different ‘indie’ coffee house to go to!

I like good products at low prices, good news.

racefaceec90

i don’t have any issues about pinarello being sold by halfords.if it means more people can afford to buy them (more people become cyclists e.t.c) then it’s all good in my book. 🙂

Northwind

nasher – Member

Hmmm brands that halfords killed….saracen, kona, airborne, voodoo…and Im sure there are others…

Kona are dead? Interesting. Voodoo only exist in the UK because of Halfords these days.

Dark-Side

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Dark Side – Member
    People buy a Dogma for exclusivity, they don’t want a similar bike sold through the local car engine oil retailer.
    So, it’s brand bought by pretentious idiots who don’t really care about bikes then?

In a lot of cases, yes it is. That’s the point I was making. I think a lot of people on this thread are confusing pretensions for opinion. I don’t care if Pinarello are sold through the local Asda, but a lot of their customers do. If you remove the exclusivity or status of owning a Pinarello, perceived or otherwise, they are just another bike manufacturer with a high price and poor spec. Imagine Louis Vuitton being sold through Lidl, do you think you’d still have WAGS and wannabes lining up to have exactly the same bag as every other WAG or wannabe?

clubber
    Free Member

but I can buy a pin for £300 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Halfords to stock Pinarello’ is closed to new replies.