Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • halfords and boardman balls up
  • rootes1

You wouldn’t expect Currys to keep serial numbers for all the TV’S they sell would you? Why should a bike retailer be any different

they did with my camera..

steviecapt
    Free Member

they maybe cheap in some peoples minds, but they are deffinately better vaue for money than any, specialized, gt, or cannondale that ive owned previously, ive owned bikes twice the money i payed for this boardman, and in one case three times the price, non of them were any where near the value for money that the boardman is, theres nothing wrong with boardmans bikes, they have better customer reviews than most, the problems start when you have to deal with halfords staff, its a shame cause i like halfords the shop, just there staff lets them down, im always amazed why chris boardman ever used halfords to sell his bikes, but then ,look at the amount of distribution halfords have, he is obviously happy with the arrangement, its a pitty halfords dont invest in better staff training, btw who,s being self righteous, if anybody is being self righteous its certain people on here who make crap comments,but then thats stw all over lol, i just posted the facts, as i and halfords and the insurance compay saw them, and btw ive recieved another email from the insurance company, they said they were willing to insure the bike with only the numbers we could read, so this post is totally null n void, sorry for wasting peeps times, bloody insurance companies, i bet we all have had problems with insurance companies though, be it bike or car related, the reason i wanted to get it right, is because i know that once the insurance company has taken your money, any little clause they can think of, to not pay out in a claim, they will, maybe some people will find that out to their cost, if they make a claim and they havnt recorded the frame numbers, i hope not peeps, but it always pays to be vigilant when dealing with insurance firms.

rOcKeTdOg

I.N.R.A.T.S.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Have people really got enough time in their lives to be to’ing and fro’ing to Halfords asking them to write partial serial numbers on receipts and stuff? Amazing.

I’d just give your insurance company a made up number because lets face it, if your bike gets nicked, especially something relatively common like a Boardman, you’re never seeing it again…

freeagent
    Free Member

Agree with the comments on Boardman bikes being exceptional value at their price-point.
    I’ve got two (an MTB Hardtail, and a Hybrid) and will be buying another on C2W later this year.

I agree they are a bit dull, and not very cool but I just want the best bike I can get for the budget I have, and Boardman hits the spot.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I.N.R.A.T.S.

+1

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

My Thorn does not have a frame number, which was queried by the Police at a free Bike Register session. The chap at the adjacent bike shop stall said that small producers were not obliged to number frames. Don’t know if it’s true or not but there must be plenty such bikes insured.

steviecapt
    Free Member

freeagent, totaly agree, im not that shallow a person to be worried what people think of me or what names on my bike, i dont have any need for xt,xtr everything,or niner stamped on my frame, my bike rides just as good as any £1600 bike ive owned or ridden,i would challenge any one to find a new mtb with a rigid carbon fork with a similar spec, that weighs just over 22lb, for £600, thats what i paid for my boardman on special offer, i couldnt find a rigid mtb when i looked, there all mostly hybrid bikes that have rigid forks.

njee20
    Free Member

I.N.R.A.T.S.

Nail/head.

Anyone synopsisise me? Is it just ‘whine moan winge’?

nick1962
    Free Member

Anyone synopsisise me? Is it just ‘whine moan winge’?

More likely ‘whine,moan,winge’ ? 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Nah, the spelling won’t be right 😉

IanW
    Free Member

Was in halfords the other day. Stood in the queue listening to guy new to cycling talking to an assistant.

Thought, the customer hasn’t a clue what he’s buying and the assistant didn’t know what he was selling , it’ll end in tears.

IanW
    Free Member

Ref insurance and serial numbers- not sure why your insurer would ask for that, it wouldn’t help anyone or prove anything if your bike was stolen , there’s no bike database. Possibly could be used for accidental damage but most insurers don’t check anything under a few grand, costs more than its worth to do.

I would also read the terms those bike policies often have dodgy clauses, must be locked even when at home etc and are worse than just being covered under the sum insured of contents policy.

Away from home usually the same , must be attended or locked with a 2kg lock which may be ok for commuting but a bit impractical if its a piece of sports equipment.

Anyway good luck with the bike fwiw I like the boardmans and halfords!

Edit: just read the bit about insurers dodging claims, sure it feels like that, you have bought a contract, when its my money I read through the terms before i buy and read it again before I claim, that way there’s no misunderstandings.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

My comment was in relation to service not the bike, Boardman aren’t for me but if someone I knew wanted a bike where they do a model i’d recommend it.

you mentioned:

you pay crap money on staff training ,you and up with crap staff

This isn’t entirely true, you get some excellent staff in shops on minimum wage who love what they do.

The same goes with buying a bike. sorry but for £600 your less likely to get red carpet treatment than you would a £2k one. Harsh but its true. I don’t think its right but its the same as what you say about money going into staff.

im not that shallow a person to be worried what people think of me or what names on my bike, i dont have any need for xt,xtr everything,or niner stamped on my frame, my bike rides just as good as any £1600 bike ive owned or ridden

With most of the larger brands its not just the “bike” your paying for, you get the extra service. Scott and specialized for example have tech reps who visit stores, take staff out on rides and train them.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘halfords and boardman balls up’ is closed to new replies.