Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Half-term holiday ideas.
  • geomickb
    Free Member

Do we go to Arran again? or The Lakes, or somewhere else?

Somewhere with little walks for a 7 year old, maybe somewhere to take a dip and some good gravel/road riding.

We are in Staffordshire and prefer Arran because it’s not too far to drive (4 hours from Staffordshire).

Any ideas?

jamiea
    Free Member

We tried the Lakes last year (sans bikes) in a camping pod above Keswick, the week of the flooding. Got 1 & 1/2 walks in then just hopping from anywhere dry inside! I’d always wanted to go to the Pencil Museum…

Wife has booked Sicily this year.

richardkennerley

Blackpool

StirlingCrispin

Arran:
    October can be a bit dark and wet, and ferries can be a a challenge at the moment.
    Had a week last summer in Argyle (Kilmartin) and that was fun: no ferries, but see the bit about October.

We’ve done The Lakes in previous Octobers, heading south for the sun and all that.

How about Stirling ? Castle, cities and stuff – but see the bit about October.

geomickb
    Free Member

Holiday in a city! No thanks. 🙂

We are fairly weather resistant.

slowol

Dumfrieshire is an option. Either Kircudbright or on the coast between Dumfries and Castle Douglas. Cycle routes at Dalbeattie, Mabie and other less visited spots. Also family walks and play places in the forests. Lots of others walks, beaches etc.
    Or
    Gower. Walks, beaches some biking. See also Pembrokeshire but I think more road cycling there.

oldtennisshoes

Sardinia

Ambrose

Garnant

It’s a small village at the south-western end of the Brecon Beacons. It is a seriously underated place. Beaches are less than an hour away. Loads of family friendly cycling and walking- hills, riverside, moorland on the doorstep. Big hills (Brecon Beacons) out the door. Brechfa 45 mins. Afan 40 mins. Pembrey (Battle on the Beach) 45 mins. The beach is stunning, 7 miles long. You do have a kite don’t you?

Ammanford (local market town) is really starting to thrive and has some great places to eat/ drink. We’re off to ‘Blas’ on Sunday. ‘Coaltown’ is a local roastery that is becoming well established and well respected. They do some really great roasts.

Swansea is 40 mns away- nightlife, museums (the Industrial museum is really good), maritime quarter, Gower.

If I didn’t live here I’d holiday here for sure.

geomickb
    Free Member

Aberfoyle?

longdog
    Free Member

We’re off to Loch Tay for a week. Can’t wait 😁

eckinspain
    Free Member

My parents are coming down for a few days and then we’re hoping to go to Madrid for a few days. Not sure if that helps.

geomickb
    Free Member

It’s booked, Lochearnhead!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.