Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Half of us are on drugs!
  • stever
    Free Member

‘Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs, according to the comprehensive Health Survey for England […] an average of 18.7 prescriptions per person in England in 2013.’ Wow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30411246

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1/6th of the NHS budget is spent on diabeties, so I guess that accounts for a lot of percriptions if my Miss’s is anything to go by, there’s at least one trip to the chemist each week.

I had one last year for shingles, I don’t think I’ve even been for painkillers which is unusual for me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Soldpadol and Ibuprofen. 8)

Drac

Heart problems, blood pressure, diabetes, CVAs, preventative meds, contraceptives and mental health drugs. It’s not a massive surprise.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I have 2 different inhalers every month, so I’m on 24 before any other ailments are taken into account. I bet my figure is about 30 a year.

retro83
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Heart problems, blood pressure, diabetes, CVAs, preventative meds, contraceptives and mental health drugs. It’s not a massive surprise.

Contraceptives not included, according to the article.

hora
    Free Member

1/6th? Is that real? I know some diabetes can not be avoided but we really are approaching a health timebomb aren’t we?

Drac

Contraceptives not included, according to the article.

Heart problems, blood pressure, diabetes, CVAs, preventative meds, contraceptives pain relief and mental health drugs. It’s not a massive surprise

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Contraceptives must be excluded thinking of the number of women who are on the pill!

Northwind

My diabetes consumables are pretty damn expensive apparently, constant supply of blood testing strips, sharps and insulin. (I’ve got Good Diabetes btw) Classic medical expenditure- the most expensive thing you can do, is invent a treatment for an uncurable condition, the cheapest thing is to have people just die 😆

I’m sure that’ll include diabetic complications though which is a massive kettle of fish with missing toes, exploding eyes, etc.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Anybody who drinks tea, coffee or booze is also on drugs. We’re made of drugs.

willard

It’s what you define as drugs really.

I know that, in this case, they are talking about prescription meds, and yes, that’s a lot of stuff, but given how the country is turning out, its hardly surprising.

I can’t remember the las time I had to take prescription drugs for anything. One of the upsides to be generally fit and healthy and antisocial I guess.

scotroutes

Fish don’t have toes, only fingers.

Northwind

That’s because they fell off! Fish are terrible at managing their diabetes

Drac

but given how the country is turning out, its hardly surprising.

😕

I can’t remember the las time I had to take prescription drugs for anything. One of the upsides to be generally fit and healthy and antisocial I guess.

I’m generally fit too, keep healthy but social. However, I was prescribed Onzeprazole recently due to stomach inflammations causing dysphagia, palpitations and abdo pains. I have an open prescription for Codeine and Diclofenic as I produce kidney stones but I’ve not used it for 2 years. Often lifestyle has very little to do with it.

GrahamS

given how the country is turning out, its hardly surprising.

Yeah blame that pesky universal health care and social support for allowing ill people to live longer.

It was all so much cheaper when anything worse than a slightly sore finger would kill you. 😆

scotroutes

I’m currently on prescription painkillers because I fell off my bike 😀 So much for staying healthy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Self medication only here, i don’t trouble the NHS! 😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

Atorvastatin for my hereditary high cholesterol, thankfully it’s relatively cheap for the NHS since the patent ended, but it’s likely I’ll need it for the rest of my life.

brassneck

I have an open prescription for Codeine and Diclofenac as I produce kidney stones but I’ve not used it for 2 years

Is that common? As a fellow stone thrower, it’d be handy – no point wasting a GPs / MIUs time when generally a bit of pain relief and wincing covers it for a few years. I’d know if it was worth going in for.

jonba
    Free Member

You can add asthma to the list.

What is regularly though? It is different from frequently.

Drac

Is that common? As a fellow stone thrower, it’d be handy – no point wasting a GPs / MIUs time when generally a bit of pain relief and wincing covers it for a few years

No idea it’s what the Consultant advised after my first severe attack my GP obliged.

hora
    Free Member

Contraception. That’ll be the pill then. Just about every woman I know is on the pill. They have to be as being near me means they are at risk of my super-potent virile mast.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Do you throw your used tissues at them? Is that how that works?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

All my mates are gearheads

smiththemainman
    Free Member

2 prescriptions for Omeprazole in the last 3 months , best 3 months of zero heartburn !! after 10+ years of anything tasty crippling me!!! apart from that 2-3 lots of antibiotics in 20+ years!!!

br
    Free Member

I saw this; but when I worked in phara wholesale I semi-remember (from 10 y/o) that the French had a far greater usage of prescription drugs than we did.

Not sure about now though.

globalti
    Free Member

The health care bill is what’s crippling France. French doctors are enthusiastic prescribers of all kinds of quack remedies. When Gti Junior crushed a vertebra skiing they kept him in the clinic in Moutiers for five days while they made a special expensive corset for him. The clinic admin staff kept coming up and telling us not to be in a hurry to leave as we were welcome. When we got home both my son’s orthopedic consultant and my cycling buddy, who is a consultant, said: “In Britain he’d have been sent home the same day and told to take it easy for a few weeks”!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Half of us are on drugs!’ is closed to new replies.