Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Half decent road wheels that don't cost the earth
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Is this a moon in the stock question?

My stock Bontrager rear wheel is sounding a bit gritty… it’s only done about 2000 miles 🙁

Don’t have much cash at the min as the wife’s been on maternity leave for 11 months..

What’s good out there but isn’t silly money?

simondbarnes

Cheapest option by far would be to service your current hubs.

mrmo
    Free Member

Always found Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels ok, £100 gets you a serviceable set khamsin/7. If you can stretch to £300 then Zondas/3’s are all you really need.

edit what he said, cartridge bearings are cheap. and unless the rims are shot, which on that mileage they shouldn’t be.

tpbiker
    Free Member

mavic kysirium elite on my bike. light and reasonably stiff, even under my fat frame

chilled76
    Free Member

Yeh you’re probably right, haven’t even looked at whether they are cartridge or cup and cone.

I’d quite like some nicer rims so almost using it as an excuse. The current ones look a bit naff

Klunk
    Free Member

merlin have ultegra wh-6800s for under £300

ampthill

[/quote]Don’t have much cash at the min as the wife’s been on maternity leave for 11 months..

I’d quite like some nicer rims so almost using it as an excuse. The current ones look a bit naff

ampthill

Don’t have much cash at the min as the wife’s been on maternity leave for 11 months..

I love watching this stuff unfold

chilled76
    Free Member

Well yeh gotta hold my hands up..

Guess I mean, my hubs need servicing. I’d normally go and buy a really nice set of wheels to replace the shonky stock ones as all the money on my road bike went on the frame (it was the lowest Emonda with the higher spec carbon weave frameset so it only comes with cheap parts).

However as the wife’s been off for 11 months spending £1000 to £1500 on wheels won’t go down well.

What can I get for under £350?

P.s. thanks for the suggestions so far… The Ultegras are a maybe.

plus-one

I looked at ultegras and the cosine 32mm at wiggle £187 sub 1500g

Bought neither I picked up set of superstar Volta hubs/arc rims(set them up tubeless) with schwalbe ones .. oh Lordy they’re nice 1490g and last week £139 with 30% off 🙂

Currently £199(still worth it) I’m kicking myself for not buying another set for future use 🙄

blitz

Asked a similar question recently and was directed towards CRC’s Prime wheelsets. Picked up the competition version for approx £165 after discounts. 1580g the pair and come tubeless ready with the rim strip in place and tubeless valves included. Paired with some Schwalbe Pro One tubeless ready tyres and went up with a track pump. Had several rides on them now and really impressed. Bike feels noticeably lighter and smoother. Stayed true so far. Would recommend.

jkomo

Superstar is my standard response. Decent wheels, good warranty.
    £97 in the last sale.

tpbiker
    Free Member

The superstar wheels I had were pretty good for the 170 odd quid I paid for them. Around 1550g for 30mm deep rims. Not the stiffest but surprisingly well built. Would buy again if on a budget.

njee20
    Free Member

it was the lowest Emonda with the higher spec carbon weave frameset so it only comes with cheap parts).

There are 3 Emonda frames: S, SL and SLR, even the SLR6 comes with some pretty nice wheels, presume you have the SL?

thorpey0
    Free Member

I bought some superstar components Elite 24 wheels in a sale and despite hearing mixed views on them I have nothing but positive to say. Still straight and true and very light for the price.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve got some cero road wheels. They were really cheap and aren’t very well sealed so are summer only.

But they are really pretty light and were much cheapness

chilled76
    Free Member

Njee20 yeh it’s the sl5. Came with 105 and bontrager tlr wheels. Low spec considering the high quality frameset.

sturmeyarcher

Just Riding Along build some very nice wheels. Their own-brand stuff is excellent value and way better quality than anything else for the money.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Half decent road wheels that don't cost the earth’ is closed to new replies.