Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Haldon from home
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

Here’s a couple of shots today from where I live looking across the valley to Haldon.
    Might give you an idea of the conditions underfoot……
    and also see if i can remember how to post pic’s!

Snowy Haldon

Sun’s out!

cheers
    Q

Christowkid
    Free Member

…and the village

one minute it’s sunny, then as you can see, big dumps!
    cheers
    Q

snaps
    Free Member

Was that taken looking east?

bassspine
    Free Member

the snow’s almost gone in Kenton. Amazing what a difference a few miles makes

Christowkid
    Free Member

snaps: Er….. yes I suppose it was east, possibly with a bit of North in it!

bassspine: yes the hill divided things into a different world. Popped out to the post office about 4pm and noticed that the snow line had gone here too, but it’s turning bitterly cold. When it started dumping, the roads we’d salted/gritted earlier were completetly whited out again. Quite something.
    Hold your breath for thursday, could be quite something!
    Q

bassspine
    Free Member

last time it snowed on Haldon, 2006 I think… about 20mm!

billyboulders
    Free Member

Nice pics. Must admit I found Haldon VERY disappointing to ride the other day tho.
    -after a two hour drive and having to spend an extra £50 on riding kit (in the quite bad partridges) when I found I’d forgotten mine!

No offence, Sorry if it’s your local spot-probably alot more there than the waymarked stuff 😕

scraprider
    Free Member

nice pics mate , wish i was up ther today , and not at work ,billyboulders , it must be said the edge has gone of holden off late , but a new trail network is going in this month or march , bummer about having to buy more gear tho mate.

Christowkid
    Free Member

billy:
    No offence taken. I now avoid it like the plague!
    I posted them to see if I could still do it after the new forum changes and also to show people what was going on up there with snow.
    It was my first biking spot when I lived in Exeter, a few hardy souls would be up there, you could see the odd tyre mark but never meet anyone. Now it seems it’s inundated with people at times. To be fair that’s fine and it shows that people will use a facility if it’s there. I tend to try and go locally to me ( i.e. cycling straight out of the garage! )and up into the bridleways in the woods above me. It tends to be quiet and peaceful….. and that’s the way I like it!
    Chance to just mentally drift……. whilst watching your actual locality change with the seasons.
    blimey. Must have had a book of prose for tea!!!!!

I’ve not done any of the man made trails in Wales etc. that are often discussed, but it does seem to me from the mag articles etc. that they are larger and cover more terrain, whereas the actual area of Haldon is quite small. Sadly you arn’t the only one who has posted on here saying it isn’t worth the trip, but as it’s not really my cup of tea I cannot actually comment from experience.
    cheers
    Q

crispybacon
    Free Member

Billyboulders next time mate ask for a STW local to show you the best of Haldon which just happens not to be waymarked 😉

It’s a 100 mile round trip there & back for me & I only ride about 2 miles of waymarked stuff with another 10 miles of superb cheekyness 😀

May I pass on my sincere sympathies to you for having to buy anything @ Partridges (cough/spit) 🙁

trailmonkey

billyboulders – Sorry that you were fleeced at Partridges. You weren’t the first, you won’t be the last. Haldon is a superb place to ride, if you know where to look. At present, the amount of waymarked stuff is very limited and I would never advise anyone to travel for 2 hours to solely ride the Red Run. It should be said however, that there is a huge development underway and a new (16km I think ) technical trail should be up and running by May. In the meantime, using the existing Red Run with other “unsanctioned” trails and one or two legal BW’s, gives a good afternoons worth of XC riding.
    Next time, ask on here for a local to guide you and show you the good stuff :-

Like St Andrews Lane

Christowkid
    Free Member

Yep, Partridges have had me too….. so I commiserate!
    Judging by Trailmonkey’s vid, looks like i might be somewhat out of date on the trails up there! Perhaps I’ll get a day off later on and take a look…..
    when all this snow’s long gone!
    Q

billyboulders
    Free Member

Good to hear this stuff, I’ll let you guys know next time we’re in the area. To be fair I could see the potential in the place. Looks like it’ll be worth another visit come spring.

I reckon I’ll use the shorts again but anyone interested in a badly fitting, overly sweaty fluro jacket (only used once!-was the cheapest outfit they had!)

stumpytrek
    Free Member

I was up there this morning about 11am… Loads of snow. So much that I took the skis! And used them! Then got the bike out for a quick lap of the play trail. Pretty much no-one there at all! Fabulous…

scraprider
    Free Member

lol skis nice one m8 , i see they say we gonna get some more snow :D:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Haldon from home’ is closed to new replies.