Haldon (Exeter) – bike wash?

• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  jam bo.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Haldon (Exeter) – bike wash?
  • ferrals

As title, Is there a bike jet wash there? Got a meeting in that area tomorrow and will prob have an hour to kill before so thinking of doing a lap of one of the waymarked trails. Would be good to be able to clean bike and legs pre-meeting!

ferrals

Thanks! Couldn’t see on FC website.

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

Go past the cafe and toilets, and it’s around to the right by the ranger’s office and bike hire place/bike shop. Used to be £1 a go (probably still is).

ferrals

Really enjoyed that, did two laps of the red trail. Wasn’t expecting much as the forum chat seemed to be it was a bit rubbish but I thought it was really fun given how little elevation it uses, just right to stretch the legs after a long drive. Half the trail was underwater so bike ended cleaner than it started and I didn’t need to use the bike wash either!

Premier Icon superstu
    Subscriber

Was up there on Tuesday morning and can’t recall seeing it that wet before.

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

It is VERY wet up there at the moment.

I stopped off for a quick blast after work today, and even though I stayed off the marked trails for the most part, and rode some of the less busy off-piste stuff, even trails which have been dry over winter are starting to get soaked through now ☹️

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

@ajantom I havent visited Haldon this winter as I assumed the off piste stuff would be more worn and holding more water. A friend of mine went up last week and said some of the off piste of red side is now gone: Fallen Tree and the small section after barking dog which crossed the red before coming out very near the black, Were any other of the off pistes on blue or red side out of action?

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

Barking dog is mostly reopen now + a new beginning section to it if you look to the right at the top.

Fallen tree (is that the one that starts near the red road crossing near the A38?) is open too, but again has a different begining and bits need riding in.

All or most of the trails over on the other side are open, but very very wet. Some like teepee and Kim are pretty trashed.

Some of us have been riding stuff over near the racecourse over winter. It’s a bit drier due to tree cover and less traffic.

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

The new beginning section for Barking dog on the right, is that the climb they scratched out as part of the SW XC series?

Yeah, barking dog starts by the road at the top of the climb from the black to the main road, where is the new entrance? is it just a lil further down from where it used to be?

I know teepee but not sure of kim, is that also over at the tower woods end of the blue?

I did hear about some trails over that way, am i right in saying its in the tree line behind the racecourse and is 3 ups and downs? I did look for an entrance when driving past slowly but wasn’t sure if it was the carpark full of gravel or the next one along.

The barking dog descent does include the sw xc climb bit (which in turn was an old trail).

Kim is the leftmost trail by the start of teepee

The racecourse stuff starts opposite the traveler camp, up & over the bank, then follow the tyre tracks. I think it’s all up on strava.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

of the marked stuff, i prefer the blue to the red at haldon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Haldon (Exeter) – bike wash?’ is closed to new replies.