• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Haldon Challenge trails.
  • OCB
    Free Member

This is a kinda ‘what bike for […]’ question, but more broadly, what is the Haldon Challenge Trail actually like for an ok fitness, but otherwise non-technical rider ?

I’m assuming (?) a fairly consistent surface, no drop-offs / steep transitions / rock gardens and the like … as I think my mum (who’s in her 70’s) might struggle a bit covering ground that’s too gnarr, and given that she’s keen to ride there it’d be a shame if it’s not really too suitable. That said, she’s fine with the occasional bit of pushing/walking tho’ if that gets her through something she isn’t confident to ride through.

She rides a liv/Giant Sedona, so the bike’ll be ok (just not sure about her).

😉

yunki
    Free Member

I wouldn’t envisage any problems at all.. the trail has no technical challenges at all really other than a handful of narrow twists and turns.. the first half of the trail has some nice swoopy downward sloping segments and the second half is flat woodland singletrack

M1llh0use
    Free Member

The only technical bit that may challenge a newbie I can think of is the braking bumps at the switchback. Other than that maybe the climb on the 2nd half?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Burchy1
    Free Member

She will be fine on a large proportion of it. Maybe do the loop on the opposite side of the chudleigh road first. It’s flat and the easiest section. Then if she wants to do more you can have a look at the loop on the same bit of hill as the hub.

There is a longer downhill on this section which, although not technical may feel a bit exposed to someone not used to riding on a 4ft wide trail as part of it runs along the hillside.

OCB
    Free Member

Thanks all, that sounds ideal (when it stops raining!).

She’d ridden from a girl, but (stupidly) stopped at some point about 20 years ago :roll:, and has recently rediscovered how much she enjoys it – hills / narrow / twisty-turny / bit rough are all fine as that is what she rides now, but clearing road-gaps is in her past now I think.

😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Haldon Challenge trails.’ is closed to new replies.