Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • halal meat and christmas carols at a church of England School
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Spoke to my friend today who told me he went to his children’s Christmas carol eve last night and that none of the Muslim children sang, but the school now have halal meat for all students regardless of faith, this is at a CofE school.
    All other faiths at the school sang including Jewish (my friends children are Jewish), Hindu which make up the majority and obviously Christians.

Is this the norm?

I’m genuinely interested not some alf garnet wannabe

binners

We’re all going to hell in a hand basket

They’ll be banning calendars with norks and tyres on next!

binners

Having said that, if you’re going to pander to the demands of any particular religion, it makes sense that its the explodiest one.

Perhaps we need suicide nuns to redress the balance?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

I used to work at a C of E school that was multi-faith as far as the students were concerned and that sounds about right. People would be excused for their beliefs from assemblies etc, not sure if they now serve Halal but I wouldn’t be surprised.

dannyh
    Free Member

Tea + biscuits + hopefully nipping out for a night ride this evening = enough time for this to develop nicely for a bit of amusement post-ride.

I’m hoping for great things you Usual Suspects, don’t disappoint.

jam-bo

if one party doesn’t care how their animals are killed for consumption and the other does, where is the problem?

besides, how much meat is in turkey twizzlers anyway?

loddrik
    Free Member

I think people should boycott halal meat anyways, additional unnecessary suffering of animals in the name of ridiculous superstitions (religion).

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What, no pasta?

binners

You can take our christmas carols, but you’ll never take our kebabs!!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@loddick Halal preparation has its roots in reducing animal suffering and food hygine in hot countries with no refirgeration (ie before it existed).

If the school has a high number of observant Muslim kids them there is no particular issue with all the meat being Halal, assuming its no more expensive. I imagine the school governors would have discussed this with the head.

kelvin

I’m sure they do vegetarian food, as an option for kids/parents who give a shit about how their meat is killed.

This reminds me of when Pizza Express made all their chicken halal… but then they still do lots of yummy pork based yummies as well. Ironically/pleasingly. Or pick vegi toppings… they have loads of them as well.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pigs in blankets are off the Christmas dinner menu then?

pjt201
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    I think people should boycott halal meat anyways, additional unnecessary suffering of animals in the name of ridiculous superstitions (religion).

Halal preparation of meat doesn’t cause additional suffering, if it did it would probably be illegal in the UK anyway. If you want to reduce suffering to animals don’t eat meat would be my advice.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/09/halal-meat-animals-minorites-society

zippykona

Doesn’t jesus feature in the muslim fiction book as well?
    To be fair I don’t sing in church either and given the choice won’t enter one.

Rich_s

Halal preparation of meat doesn’t cause additional suffering, if it did it would probably be illegal in the UK anyway.

Really? Those crazy Danes (among others) must have it so wrong then.

doris5000

there was a lot of fuss in the Daily Mail about halal meat being served in hospitals a coupe of years back.

turns out the caterers were putting out for quotes, and the halal offerings were cheaper.

the Mail had about a 5 page whinge over that one

Kryton57

Whats wrong with halal meat then?

pjt201
    Free Member

Rich_s – Member
    Really? Those crazy Danes (among others) must have it so wrong then.

Read the article I linked to, it’s pretty clear that the Danes, like the Front National in France, have been using this misinformation as a means of threatening/sidelining minorities. In some parts of France they don’t even use pain and suffering as an excuse to ban it, they use the notion of secularism (similar to the manner they want to ban [or have, I can’t remember] the burka on the grounds of secularism).

doris5000

Whats wrong with halal meat then?

thin end of the wedge innit. One minute you’re eating a halal kebab, next minute they (foreign types) are beheading your daughter for not wearing a hijab. It’s political correctness gone mad. I heard they want to ban sunshine because it offends blind people.

Bruce

If you read the guardian aricle it says 90% of the halal meat is stuned before having it’s thoat cut so that leaves 10% that isn’t.
    Maybe they should just serve vegetarian food which should be edible by everybody.

Kryton57

thin end of the wedge innit. One minute you’re eating a halal kebab, next minute they (foreign types) are beheading your daughter for not wearing a hijab. It’s political correctness gone mad. I heard they want to ban sunshine because it offends blind people.

Well quite. IMO my kids are being fed decent quality meat and veg, rather than fried mars bars, thats the end of the matter for me.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Becuase the British meat industry treats animals so well 🙄
    and there is nowt wrong with not partaking in other peoples so called religions about some invisible sky god.

You need to ask yourself how dead was that chicken or turkey before it had it’s feathers scolded off, How far was that pig or calf thrown and how many times was it stamped on. There is a shed load of videos and news items on the internet, so before spouting Halal this and that tosh, have a look at the standard animal from farm to slaughter treatment.

Bunch of fish wives 🙄

mrchrispy

propper LOL @ binners.

Junkyard
    Free Member

my kids dont sing them either or eat meat

Don’t worry though we are white so its ok.

I think people should boycott halal meat anyways, additional unnecessary suffering of animals

its heartening to see the meat eater care how their factory farmed prey is slaughtered…the humanitarianism of this is like a beacon shining almost as bright as god’s love for us all.

Kryton57

Why not? Have you actively taken away their choice to do so? Poor kids.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Dont the kids just get an orange with some sweets skewered to it with a lit candle rammed in the middle? Or are the haribo non halal and the candles too christian?

jekkyl

I’m aethist and don’t sing any jesus songs, I do stand though, out of respect for the faith. Great fun at weddings where I stand smiling when they video the church as everyone else sings.

aP
    Free Member

Those crazy Danes (among others) must have it so wrong then.

I’m not aware that meat production by the Danes is exactly a model to aspire to.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Great fun at weddings where I stand smiling when they video the church as everyone else sings.

Sounds hilarious. I bet you get a special invitation just because of that.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Junkyard – how can you deny your poor children the joys of a bacon sarnie on a sunday morning with HP??
    [FLOUNCE]You’re off my xmas card list.[/FLOUNCE]

gobuchul
    Free Member
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

Im an aetheist and sometimes sing jesus songs.

True story

mrsfry
    Free Member

RSPCA don’t like a lot of things.

Exoitic pets, fish and knowing what they are talking about.
    PS RSPCA is just a charity, like Oxfam but with more delusions of grandeur

gobuchul
    Free Member

RSPCA don’t like a lot of things.

Exoitic pets, fish and knowing what they are talking about.
    PS RSPCA is just a charity, like Oxfam but with more delusions of grandeur

So?

I don’t particularly like the RSPCA.

However, the exotic pet trade does have a lot of problems.

Don’t particularly like Halal slaughter practices either.

It’s funny how this issue seems to get some of left wing, atheist, hand wringers all confused.

mrsfry
    Free Member

^^

But the none exotic pet trade is pretty horrendus and there are more of these sales happening than exotics. RSPCA is just a charity that has been put on a pedestal which is wrong.

Halal and none Halal animal treatments can be just as bad as one another, so it has to be a case of all or none getting the big ‘TUT TUTS’

Cougar

Halal preparation has its roots in reducing animal suffering and food hygine in hot countries with no refirgeration (ie before it existed).

But we have refrigeration and it was snowing last week. Ergo, it’s irrelevant in 21st Century Britain on those arguments alone.

Put that another way: halal slaughter may have been preferable to non-halal slaughter in the absence of better methods; but if we have better methods then rather than being preferable it’s actually worse. So we’re into the realms of “but we’ve always done it this way,” by that argument we should still use leeches in surgery because it’s better than bleeding to death.

just5minutes
    Free Member

Halal preparation of meat doesn’t cause additional suffering, if it did it would probably be illegal in the UK

Sorry but this is just plain wrong. The British Veterinary Assoc. could not have been clearer in their last observational study of slaughterhouses – slaughter without stunning causes significant avoidable suffering particularly to larger animals.

I forget the exact figure but I think it was around 1/5 of cows were not rendered immediately unconscious by having their throats slit – many continued to remain conscious for up to 3 minutes and a good number of these ultimately choked to death on their own blood.

There’s no two ways about it – the laws that were put in place to ensure humane slaughter have now been circumvented on an industrial scale to the point where around I live there are now very few places that don’t serve Halal.

If you choose to eat Halal you should do so knowing that there’s a 1/10 chance that the animal suffered terribly in its final few minutes of life – all so that the requirements of a book of stories can be observed.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/06/reform-of-kosher-and-halal-slaughter-practices

mattyfez

As an antitheist meat eater who is well aware of how and where mass produced meat comes from, I don’t really care whether meat is halal or not.

The religious aspect is irrelevant.. It’s the animal suffering as little as possible is my main worry.

Normal abbatoirs are pretty barbaric (there are plenty of examples of animals partially stunned and suffering in regular UK abbatoirs) as is halal slaughter.. But still we eat meat.. Makes no difference to me.. If I want cheap mass produced meat then I have that on my conscience.. The halal thing is a non issue.

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t worry though we are white so its ok.

No it not! How on earth will they get protein !!1!!1 etc etc etc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

just5minutes – Member

around I live there are now very few places that don’t serve Halal

Have you thought of moving?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘halal meat and christmas carols at a church of England School’ is closed to new replies.