Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • hair pulling out thread – Dog content
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

can anyone recommend a dog training book, i’m about to tear my hair out…….then his

He went ot puppy training, we’ve tried everything from reasoning with his to screaming at him and my wife’s shouting is getting on my tits

Any recommendations to get a better behaved dog would be gratefully appreciated 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Click

RealMan
    Free Member

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Realman has the idea, but not downloadable to my iphone

RealMan
    Free Member

Get a cat then.

goog
    Free Member

what model of dog is it ?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

ok, any sensible answers? thought the ST massive and the dog owners on here may have an idea

BobaFatt
    Free Member

what model of dog is it ?

border Collie, 2009 model with the hydraulic legs and more MPB (miles per biscuits)

RealMan
    Free Member

ok, any sensible answers?

😯

goog
    Free Member

you need to get it some sheep to play with

HTH

swavis

A Collie? Your doomed 😆

My sisters is still mental after 4 years of trying. Should of got a GSP.

Seriously though, the reward/treat method works well. No point shouting at it as it has no idea why your making all the loud noises.
    If you reward it with treats and lots of fuss when it does something correctly it won’t take too long to work it out.
    It does take time and patience but persevere and you will get there.
    Good luck…

pinches
    Free Member

the above statement isn’t as daft as it sounds – they are very active dogs and need constant stimulation.

At the moment, what is your routine with the dog? does one of you spend all day at home with him or is he left?

If you get yourself on youtube there are lots of videos with collies using click training. They are mega clever dogs and once you’ve got them into a routine they’re great.

busydog
    Free Member

+1 pinches above
    Those dogs need a LOT of exercise, stimulation and activity–7 days a week
    Not a good dog to have penned up or closed in a house or apartment all day

swavis

We used the German pointer version of the book below and found it to be a good start.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Border-Collie-Comprehensive-Owners-Guide/dp/159378211X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285613775&sr=1-5

jonahtonto
    Free Member

collies are the best dogs but they do need constant stimulation.
    is he bored? they have been bred to work alongside farmers for the whole of the farmers working day (12+hrs).
    shouting at him will have no effect as this is giving attention.
    reward by praise and punish by ignoring. snap fingers for attention, if he responds praise.
    worst punishment for any dog but especially a collie is isolation
    if your near me, ill train him for you

DezB
    Free Member

Boba – I used a great book, can’t think of the name of it at the mo, but if you email me your address, I’ll send it on to you.
    If it worked on my dozy German Pointer, it has to work on a brainy border collie!
    [edit] I think the writer’s name was Fisher..

NikNak7890
    Free Member

jonah tonto – Member
    collies are the best dogs but they do need constant stimulation.
    is he bored? they have been bred to work alongside farmers for the whole of the farmers working day (12+hrs).
    shouting at him will have no effect as this is giving attention.
    reward by praise and punish by ignoring. snap fingers for attention, if he responds praise.
    worst punishment for any dog but especially a collie is isolation
    if your near me, ill train him for you

Jonah’s correct, they need a LOT of mental stimulation, and you should be prepared to do some kind of training with him every single day.
    Have you considered approaching the breeder for advice?

I do have to ask though, what made you get a Border Collie in the first place?

phil.w
    Free Member

they have been bred to work alongside farmers for the whole of the farmers working day (12+hrs).

that’s not helpful or accurate. I have a collie bred from working stock, other than about 3 hours late afternoon she has been asleep since 9am.

Boba – from my experience train your dog to reward either toy or food. Shouting can often have the opposite effect (they can even see it as play). It can be hard not to some times but it will pay off. I think the best piece of advice I have is that they love repetition and getting a good routine into them from a young age sets them up to how you want them to fit into your life.

With mine I have found she responds well to a stern voice as opposed to a loud one if I do need to discipline. her. (I believe it’s to do with the pitch something about deep voices & pack leaders).

Some of it is finding out about different methods and seeing which ones your dog responds to. – Hope some of this helps, good luck.

Oh, one other thing, I found it useful to write a list of the commands I wanted to use and the ‘human equivalent’ this was especially helpful if more than one person is involved in the training as it ensures the consistency.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

border Collie, 2009 model with the hydraulic legs and more MPB (miles per biscuits)

A flock of sheep, a farm, a farmer

DezB
    Free Member

Ok, if you don’t want the book, get a dog trainer to come visit your house and work on problem areas. We did that (£12, it cost) and there is no longer random barking in the house or pulling on the lead.

If you really think the solutions are downloadable to my iphone then you deserve to have an annoying dog!!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Ok, if you don’t want the book, get a dog trainer to come visit your house and work on problem areas. We did that (£12, it cost) and there is no longer random barking in the house or pulling on the lead.

Been playing with the dog for the last few hours so haven’t been to my PC

If you really think the solutions are downloadable to my iphone then you deserve to have an annoying dog!!

That meant a book, not an app 😀

If you can find the name of the book i’ll check out me local bookstore

user-removed
    Free Member

What behaviour(s), specifically, are you finding annoying?

Shorty121
    Free Member

I train border collies to work sheep so I may not be much help. But shouting at him won’t help one bit you have to work with the dog if he doesn’t behave its because he doesn’t understand. The collie takes alot of work and requires long hours of exercise maybe the breed isn’t right

Innes
    Free Member

My Collie is 7, she loves chasing a ball, and needs to do this a few times a day. That is her focus, you will have to find something for yours to focus on. She also loves running alongside the bike, even a short ride will do.

This is our second Collie, they are hard work, but if you go about it right and keep them busy in the right way, they will be great to have around.

I think Victoria Stilwell’s “It’s me or the dog” has very good sensible advice about how to communicate with your dog.

Good luck, if you get it sorted out you will have a great friend at the end of it.

Innes

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

We currently have two collies – 1welsh and 1 border. We found Barbara Sykes book helpful in understanding what makes collies tick. Don’t doubt she’ll have her detractors, but her advice worked for us.

She reckons people overemphasise physical exercise and underestimate the value of mentally stimulating collies, so they get fit, unruly dogs. For her, the key to collies is their desire to work, and their desire to please. Basically you have a dog who’s a grafter, and who wants your approval – give it something to do, and praise it for doing it. I tend to work on commands when we’re out walking, and play games where they have to air scent treats and so on. Our younger one loves swimming, so she’d be happy rescuing sticks all day long – the other one doesn’t like getting wet, so she tends to supervise from the shore.

The other helpful advice we got from her book was watching protein levels in the food we used – too much and your dog’s effectively on a ‘sugar rush’.

DezB
    Free Member

“Think Dog” – John Fisher

jonahtonto
    Free Member

+1 the desire to please.
    the mental stimulation part was what i was getting at in my earlier post. obviously there are no sheep herds that need herding for 12 hrs a day but the farm dogs stay with their owners all day. i talk to my dogs more or less constantly and it is amazing how much english (or welsh lol) they can pick up
    im lucky though that my work lets me take the dogs with me and they can sit quietly under the scaffold where their main job is to sit and stay
    i do hope you find a good solution because as i said collies can be the best dogs if you can get through the hyper-activity

Lionheart
    Free Member

I am a huge fan of the New Skete Monks approach, they have two very good books that can be had from Amazon.
    Good luck

Milkie
    Free Member

He went ot puppy training..

There’s one problem! It’s not about training the dog, but training the owner on how to communicated with the dog.

Good Citizien Awards are pretty good for keeeping them mentally active and obedient.

…to screaming at him…

This won’t work, and will create more problems down the line.

Seriously get yourself to dog training so you can be trained!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘hair pulling out thread – Dog content’ is closed to new replies.