• This topic has 66 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by csb.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Hair clipper track world
  • nickname

https://uk.remington-europe.com/products/hc4250-quickcut-hair-clipper

CountZero suggested these too above!

I had these on order early in the lockdown, but cracked and actually used by beared trimmer on my head…to be fair it worked really well 🙂

The QuickCut however is really nice and much easier/quicker to use.

Stock seems to be limited and prices inflated in these times, I actually had to go for a man-utd branded version, which was about £20 cheaper :/ oh well!:)

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

My hair grows at an alarming rate, which means I’m at the barber shop every 3-4 weeks.

Mrs Seadog bravely sorted me out with a No 8 over the top, and various shorter combs around the back and sides.

Proudly declared that I no longer need to go to barber. And saved money goes in the pot for fun. Who gets to spend the money is still up for discussion.

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

Do the various different brands all use the same kind of comb fitment?

damascus

Any update on the dubious ebay purchases?

I ordered on Monday and got a my hermes tracking number straight away. They’ve still not arrived and when I put the number in my hermes it says we are still waiting for your package!

Estimated delivery range ends 21st of May.

damascus

My clippers arrived Monday (1 week from ordering)

Normally, I would never have considered unbranded clippers off ebay but this was all that was left.

They do feel cheap but they were £15 so what do you expect?

They clogged up a few times and had to be cleaned, the unit got very very hot! Which was worrying and occasionally I felt them tug my hair a bit but they cut my hair and they’ve ve done a good job.

Would I normally recommend them? No, probably not but if they are the only clippers left then yes, buy them.

2 more cuts and they’ve paid for themselves!

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

I think at last I got lucky and found some Whals with scissors, loads of guides, etc – even a cape(!), available for Argos click and collect on Sunday. Looks good value at £35 compared to most places charging near £100 for any ‘in stock’ Whals.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8196129

Premier Icon TiRed
    Subscriber

We have these Wahl pet clippers. Not cheap, but excellent quality. Son2 cut the dog a couple of months ago. He did mine last weekend. I now look like Orla, our show cocker. He did himself too. They’ve now paid for themselves.

They feel better quality than the ones my barber uses, and given what they have to cut, I’m not surprised.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

After reading hairdressers won’t be opening until at least July 4th I took the plunge and ordered what look to be cheapy Chinese clippers from Amazon (but paid £60, wouldn’t surprise me if they used to be £20…), I couldn’t find decent named brands ones anywhere (well not in Argos, Currys or John Lewis at least). Going to give it a go over the Bank holiday weekend (assuming my hand mirror arrives in time…), wish me luck :p

Premier Icon doomanic
    Subscriber

I’m contemplating using my beard trimmer. It has a attachment marked up as hair, rather than beard, what could possibly go wrong…

Premier Icon doomanic
    Subscriber

Well, it doesn’t look terrible…

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

@doomanic – looks better than my attempt, but I didn’t think mine was too bad, all things considered, ie, only having one mirror, and not being able to see the back!
    Certainly not paying £10 a time for someone else to cut it in the future. 😁

Am looking at trim #3 of the lockdown now. Basically that will have paid for the clippers. It is actually really nice to not end up waiting until my hair gets long enough to annoy before getting it cut.
    I’m afraid my barbers has lost my business now for good

Premier Icon jamiemcf
    Subscriber

I used dog clippers for years until they died. I got some rechargeable clippers to replace them which were terrible.

I now have some double sided ones I got from Boots. I think they’re Remington. I do the bulk of the trimming now (no.1 all over) and my wife tidies up with the beard trimmer with no guard.

Eyebrows done with the bear trimmer on setting 4. I’ve never checked if it is indeed 4mm.

Premier Icon doomanic
    Subscriber

@CountZero it was ok once I decided that one length all over was the order of the day. I too will not be paying a barber in the future.

nickname

Should have done this years ago, don’t think I’m ever going back to the hairdressers! 🙂

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

Had a go at mine at the back as it was pissing me off.
    Now known as Edmond Blackadder.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

I’ve been doing my own hair for a good couple of years now, I occasionally splash out on a barber cut if going for an interview or something.

I can do 95% of mine, just need someone to clean up my neck etc, I’m normally at a 7 or 9mm all over but today (after no cut for a good while and hair about an inch to inch and a quarter long) it’s at 5mm, next time I’ll go 3mm all over.

It has the benefit of hiding some of the grey which at 39 I have far too much of!

Tip for everyone – do the cut, have a shower to rinse all the hair out, then go over it again, there’s always bits you’ve missed, stray hairs etc and you’ll see loads once you’ve rinsed your head off.

Premier Icon dirkpitt74
    Subscriber

Ordered some Whal Colour Pro clippers from eBay (finally won some), cost me £40 for a £20 set of clippers but can’t find any in stock locally.

Will see how it goes when they turn up.

hugo

Fortunately, for general use, “basic” clippers from the quality brands are generally extremely good quality for their price.

These Wahl ones from Argos are good, for example.

I’ve got an Oster 616 which is a bit fancier and I use it with a 0000 blade for the old bonce. Very nice, but wouldn’t bother with the price for anything 1 and above.

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

Gave mine a once over again this morning, getting easier now, and rather satisfying too.
    As nickname said, should have probably done it ages ago. What with cutting mine, and doing my g/f’s hair a couple of times, (second time to tidy up the ham-fisted first effort), my clippers have easily paid for themselves now.
    Mu g/f has actually had several people at work comment on how nice it looks, and where did she have it done! 😳

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

Last haircut was just before lockdown on 23rd. It was getting pretty annoying, had a pretty hefty mullet which would catch in the wind quite effectively when out on the bike!!

Pre clipper cut :

Post clipper cut :

Borrowed some clippers off a mate, my wife went over it with a combo of number 8, 6 and 3 combs. Not a bad job!

This is it now though, gonna go shorter and shorter reach time from now on!!

Premier Icon eyestwice
    Subscriber

I’ve just taken delivery of a Braun 3240. So I’ll be able to review it tomorrow.

It’s gone up £10 on Amazon since I bought it last week…

Talking of Amazon, they wanted £32 for blue Loctite the other day. Prices are seemingly all over the place at the moment. A generic equivalent for £5 and next day delivery seems to be just the ticket.

Managed to get these  Philips Clippers   from Argos a week ago after they’d been out of stock for a while. Pleased with the results. Mains only but happy with that as many reviews of other clipppers complained about battery life. Nice long cable so no problem.

wiggles

I bought the Wahl colourcoded clippers for £13 from Argos and they work fine. Did the kids hair to a reasonable standard, then tried to get the Mrs to help with mine which immediately resulted in her nearly cutting my ear off…

So I decided I could do it myself but I can’t see the back of my own head so the only logical solution was to grow a mullet. Been growing for about a month now just trimming it in.

Premier Icon jonnyboi
    Subscriber

We got all our hair cutting stuff from here, clippers, scissors and thinning scissors as recommended by someone in the trade.

https://www.sallybeauty.co.uk/

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

I got some Panasonic ones as they were all that was available; they have a weird shaped guard but do a good job on my son’s (straight) hair, but not so good on my curly barnet where the guard gets in the way of using your hand to pull the hair straight.

Just ordered some £13 Wahl colour ones from Amazon with a hope the traditional shaped guard will work better, but anyone got any tips for curly hair?

Premier Icon csb
    Subscriber

You just cut curly hair the same as you would straight. No need to straighten it out. The guard will comb it straight to cut evenly.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.