• This topic has 66 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by csb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Hair clipper track world
  • Premier Icon dirkpitt74
    Subscriber

So looking like we won’t be able to get a hair cut until at least July.
    I had a trim the week before lockdown started – so 8 weeks on I’m starting to look a bit scraggly.
    So looks like nothing for it other than to attack it with some clippers.
    Any recommendations for some not too expensive clippers?

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

I bought these and they work a treat:

Hair Clippers

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

Loads on eBay, Amazon, although some are likely short on supply or currently unavailable, I’ve just received a set which I haven’t needed to use, my hair hasn’t grow out enough yet; these –
    Remington Quick Cut Hair Clippers with 9 Comb Lengths Curved Blade for Rapid Hair Trimming Detailing with Storage Pouch – HC4250 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012F8MS9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UyzUEbFJ18XR9

Mine was getting straggly as well, I just thought sod it and went at it with my beard trimmer, did a pretty good job, but the proper trimmer will make like easier in future.

I got a trimmer and clipper set direct from Wahl.

Never used one before but does a great job and has different comb lengths so you don’t have to do a no.1 all over your bonce

Wahl clippers link

finephilly

It is actually possible to DIY, but better if someone else has a go. Always cut in the opposite direction for best results!

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

I’ve got the ones CountZero links to. Have worked fine for a few years.

Premier Icon gastromonkey
    Subscriber

I got some from Argos for about £20. They’ve done the job for now.

jb72

Got some Braun HC5010 off ebay for about £25 … worked ok.

Premier Icon stumpy01
    Subscriber

I got the Wahl clippers with coloured clip-on things.

When you clean the head, pull it off. Don’t think ‘hmmm, that’s a bit tough, maybe I should undo these screws’.
    Cue an u sproinging noise and a lot of head scratching as to why they then didn’t work.

Fixed eventually, but felt proper dumb!

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Wahl. Whatever fits your budget.

Wahl chrome ones for me with a size 12 comb as an extra. Meant I could just run over the top with that and taper with a 3 everywhere else

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Always cut in the opposite direction for best results!

Opposite to what?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Cue an u sproinging noise and a lot of head scratching as to why they then didn’t work.

Ah, that would be Internal Ping****its.

“I’ll just open this up…”

*PING*

“**** it!!”

See also those €-shaped circlips, they’re External Ping****its. “I’ll just prise with a screwdriver here and…”

Premier Icon stumpy01
    Subscriber

Cougar
    Subscriber

*PING*

“**** it!!”

Pretty much like that! And it was one of those mousetrap style springs that threatened to take the end off my finger as I attempted to put it back where it should be & repair my ineptitude.

damascus

I’ve been after a set for the last week. Argos, boots, asda, tesco etc all sold out, “stock coming soon”

Just ordered a set off ebay, no idea what they are but they are in stock and fast delivery. If I’d seen this I’d have ordered that set from wahl above.

I’ll let you know if I survive

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124181119817

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

*PING*

“**** it!!”

See also those €-shaped circlips, they’re External Ping****its. “I’ll just prise with a screwdriver here and…”

For future reference, find a reasonably large plastic bag, put device inside, start prising item* from device, bag will prevent item* from vanishing under the fridge, sofa, whatever.
    *springclip, plastic cover, screw, other small, easily lost vital object.

neilnevill

been doing my own hair with wahl clippers for 8 or 10 years. never had any disasters and didn’t take too many goes to learn to do it fairly quickly, biggest pain is tidying up (but then loads of newspaper down first makes that easy too). do the long bits first then shorter.. so #8 all over, then #6 everywhere bar the fringe, then #5 on all but fringe and top, #3 rond the sides, #2 round the lower sides, tidy neck with no comb, done in 10 mins.

NS

I ordered some Wahl cordless clippers a few weeks ago, used a discount code on the Wahl website & got £10 off instead of the 10% that it was supposed be!

Used them for the first time last night, never cut my own hair before & TBH I was pretty impressed with the result – definitely paid for worse haircuts in the past!

Premier Icon bob_summers
    Subscriber

My dad was a barber, always used Wahl but rated the Philips Headgroom. I inherited his and it does a much better job than the clippers I’ve always used. Just done the boy as somehow he’s managed to get nits even without contacting the outside world for two months…
    Since barely anyone sees me in lockdown i just buzz it all off, once a week No.0 and it’s quite liberating. I might grow it out if we get let loose again, as I do have the weirdest head shape.

Premier Icon dirkpitt74
    Subscriber

Thanks all – most places seem out of stock (not unsurprisingly I suppose).
    Will keep an eye out and see what I can get.

Premier Icon nobbingsford
    Subscriber

I was looking last night and couldn’t find anything with a brand I recognised anywhere.

Rather annoyingly, now that our two boys are stuck at home with hair sprouting at an alarming rate, I remembered that I’d chucked out the combs/guides that came with my existing clippers during a cupboard clear-cut. I had no use for them.

So, I’m in the market for some more clippers too.

What I’ve noticed while looking:

Loads of them only come with four guides, typically up to around 13mm / no. 4.

I want guides up to no. 6 or 8 to do the tops of the boys heads.

I’ve looked everywhere I can think of online: Amazon, Argos, Currys, Boots, Ebay…

Plenty of unknown brand stuff on ebay, but I’m not keen on ripping the hair out of my kids’ heads with poor quality blades. Also, loads of sellers with zero feedback.

So, if anyone knows where I can pick up something with a good range of guides and of a decent make – please shout up!

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

So, if anyone knows where I can pick up something with a good range of guides and of a decent make – please shout up!

Dog clippers off Amazon. Exactly the same thing, a range of guides. My proper Wahl clippers are lost in the back of a full storage container so I used the dogs on my hair and my son, no noticeable difference.

Subscriber

Dog clippers off Amazon

Interesting! I’ll have a look, cheers.

Nobbingsford – My trusty Brauner cruzer5 died at the weekend (seems to be the battery) which was fair enough as I’ve used them for Barnet and beard for over 5 years. Stayed with Braun as they lasted so long, and I like the fact you can wash them in the shower – My preferred place to give myself an all over trim.

So, bought these, so far so good, Argos have them in stock –

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6208394?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-b5d6-423c-841d-2a559621874c&istItemId=ixixwmpqr&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157%7cacid:598-923-9094%7ccid:9549408471%7cagid:97028010959%7ctid:pla-884510951507%7ccrid:422748696635%7cnw:g%7crnd:13553095444056469590%7cdvc:c%7cadp:%7cmt:%7cloc:1007387&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9549408471&utm_term=&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=97028010959&utm_custom2=598-923-9094&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsM6W0t2t6QIV2-vtCh0_BAYQEAQYAiABEgJeQ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Subscriber

Thanks for that heads-up @Nobeerinthefridge. They look just the job and the right price.

Only one local(ish) store appears to have limited stock and delivery not available.

Argos website won’t let me add them to my trolley.

Aaaghhh!

I’ll keep trying….

Subscriber

Phew! Argos site decided to start working. Ordered, paid for and ready to collect from tomorrow.

Thanks very much @Nobeerinthefridge!

Singletrack does it again!

Now just need to work out how to get to the shop to collect them. Anyone know if Newcastle city centre car parks are open at the moment?

I’m sure they will be, and if it’s like up here, there’s not a traffic warden around anyway, you’ll be fine parking on the street for 5 mins.

Premier Icon failedengineer
    Subscriber

Just ordered the only ‘decent’ one I could find in stock anywhere – a Phillips from Argos. Delivery first thing in the morning (allegedly)!

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

I can’t find anything ‘decent’. Almost everything pretends to be clippers in the item title, but when you actually look at the image of the packaging they are beard trimmers and not hair clippers. I already have a decent Philips beard trimmer and I wouldn’t tackle my hair with it.

Premier Icon failedengineer
    Subscriber

Ah well. I read the reviews and plenty of people had used it for hair. I’ll give it a go.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I like the fact you can wash them in the shower – My preferred place to give myself an all over trim.

You mean your legs right?

You mean your legs right?

No, my legs are fine, I mean my chest, shoulders, neck, armpits and baws.

failedengineer – my braun one comes in a box that says beard trimmer on too, but same as you, I read the reviews and it’s just the job. No guard for the napper, 2.5mm for the beard, It’s more of a manicured stubble really than a beard, I hate hair on my neck!.

I was in the same spot and bought an Andis Envy corded clipper straight from Andis after things were sold out on Amazon (not sure how distribution works in the UK).

I have a cordless beard trimmer that I like, but the more powerful clippers are much nicer for hair and left my son’s looking a lot less chunky as they clogged less and cut much more per pass. I didn’t try the beard trimmer on my thicker hair, but I suspect it would have ended badly, whereas I’m rather pleased with how my own turned out with the clippers.

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

I can’t find anything ‘decent’. Almost everything pretends to be clippers in the item title, but when you actually look at the image of the packaging they are beard trimmers and not hair clippers. I already have a decent Philips beard trimmer and I wouldn’t tackle my hair with it.

Depends on just how short you want it. If you’re going for a buzz cut, a beard trimmer will do, it’s what I used, I just stuck one of the longer combs on and went for it. It’ll grow back anyway; not that I’m fussed, having gone for it, it’s staying that way because it was getting increasingly thin on top, and trying to make the rest look reasonably tidy was just more effort than it was worth. As I wear a hat all day at work, I no longer have to worry about it getting sweaty and straggly, and washing it just means going over my whole head with a soapy flannel when I have a quick freshen up!

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

Yes, was hoping to source proper ones as not aiming for a buzz cut – not on my 6 yr old anyway! Was aiming for maybe grade 6-8 or something.

The reason I don’t really have faith in my beard trimmers is I probably go over the same place 30+ times with the same length guard and it still finds hairs cut on each pass. That seems very different to how hair trimmers seem to work when my barber does my head.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Just a word of warning: a mate has just put up a photo of her husbands hair.

She tried to use his beard trimmers to cut his hair. They protested and died with one side of his hair cut and one side looking like a 70’s rock star.

He now looks something like this and they’re desperately trying to source some proper clippers to finish the job:

Don’t say you haven’t been warned! 😂

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

I bought a corded oster from coolblades. Came in a few days and I did my son’s hair this afternoon. Seemed a decent bit of kit and better than the one I had as a student. Anyway the haircut was passable, and I only cut myself once with the scissors, also from coolblades.

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

Well, later this morning I’ve been tasked with trimming my g/f’s hair with my new clippers.
    😱

jonba

Any update on the dubious ebay purchases?

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

My attempt at trimming my g/f’s hair wasn’t the total disaster I was afraid it might turn out to be, although she did have a remarkably relaxed attitude to how it might turn out, which was a relief!
    And I’m not posting any photos!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.