Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Haier fridge freezers anyone?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Needing a new (prob american style) fridge freezer for near-completion extension. Was going to go with Samsung for no particular reason other than vague brand affinity, but given they seem to be in and out of stock at the moment, am wondering if one of the lesser known (to me, anyway) brands such as Haier are worth a consideration? They look OK in the shop, but despite me thinking “how much can possibly go wrong with a fridge freezer” don’t want to be buying a dud and finding genuine views online (other than buying a subs to Which maybe) isn’t always easy…

Anyone got any sagely words for this very first world problem? thanks!

Rich_s

We’ve got one. Bought from currys a few years back. It’s fine. Was cheap at the time and fitted exactly into the hole we had.

Bit noisy I guess but I’ve got no comparables.

Also it failed about 18months in. There’s a fan at the top of the freezer side which pushes cold air over to the fridge side. Then it sinks down to the bottom of the fridge and back through a hole to the freezer. The cheaper fridge freezers have a setup like that, the more expensive ones have dual compressors.

Anyhoo, the fan at the top failed causing the food to go off due to freezer going warm and fridge going cold. Cue a freezer failure claim. We got the currys warranty guy out (it was 1 year manufacturers plus 1 currys at the time). It took 2 visits to sort – not sure why as it was a v simple problem to fix with what looked like a case fan for a pc.

Been fine ever since. We like it. Would buy again but would get one with drawers.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Don’t get a Beko

munkster
    Free Member

Interesting thanks @Rich_s, noise is a consideration since it’s going in a kitchen/lounge area actually. Good point. And @big_n_daft, as the current owner of a Beko, unlikely we’ll get another of those, not least due to how noisy it is!

Thanks again. It’ll be sat on wood floor (if you’ve followed another thread you might face palm at that) and now I think about it, having a fridge sat on that is making me nervous already…

grum
    Free Member

Not used their fridges but we have a washer/dryer and it works really well. They licensed some refrigeration tech from a German company called Liebherr years ago and seem to have a generally good rep since then.

munkster
    Free Member

This all sounds better than I’d assumed, thanks.

Rich_s

The noise is more sort of pops and gurgles rather than a constant drone. We got it when we went open plan downstairs too. Don’t notice it these days so we’ve either gone deaf or tuned it out or it doesn’t do it anymore.

munkster
    Free Member

Pops, gurgles and constant drones? Have you been spying on our living room?? But yeah that sounds about right. Mrs Munkster says our (dismal) Beko basic fridge is “noisy” but I can’t hear anything from it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

And @big_n_daft, as the current owner of a Beko, unlikely we’ll get another of those, not least due to how noisy it is!

I’d be more worried about it burning your house down

nedrapier

Would buy again but would get one with drawers

We’ve got one with drawers (“French” style apparently) it’s ace.

Didn’t want ice/water dispenser, we’d rather have the space. that cuts down your options. French style drawers cuts your options down further. Then budget, then size, then stuff that’s in stock (our old one had conked out, so we were in a hurry) cuts them down to about 2 or 3, maybe even one! That one was Haier for us.

Didn’t know much about them, but reviews were good for the one we had and it’s serving us very well, had it 18m/2y? Love the drawers.

munkster
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about it burning your house down

Keep it light! 😮

Drawers a good call.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Used to have a Beko side-by-side unit. It was loud, not particularly well built, not particularly cheap to run, died after a fairly short life… would not buy again.

Replaced with a Bosch, things fit, cheaper to run, quiet, will report back on lifespan in a few years.

munkster
    Free Member

Used to have a Beko side-by-side unit. It was loud, not particularly well built, not particularly cheap to run, died after a fairly short life… would not buy again.

If this thread has confirmed anything, it’s that we will *not* be buying another Beko. But that was pretty much certain anyway 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Haier fridge freezers anyone?’ is closed to new replies.