Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Haggling to reduce car price from garage
  • DickBarton

Test drove a new (to us) car and reckon that it is ideal…got a trade in and they have offered slightly less than we had hoped but not by much. Remainder of car price is about 400 quid more than we budgeted for.
    So, garage isn’t appearing willing to budge as they know we are very keen on it, however, I suspect they may have some more price to budge on but hoping the want for the car means we’ll take the offer.
    A service package is 200 quid and a warranty if 450 – car is older than a manufacturer warranty.
    It won’t cost 200 quid to them for the 2 services and the warranty would only be used if a problem happened but they have suggested it is unlikely to need a warranty.
    So I’m thinking I’ll try and get the warranty and service thrown in, the price will stay the same but we’ll have more. I think the warranty won’t be used but the servicing would be useful.
    So, any tips on seeing if I can get more money off or more things added to the price?
    I’m convinced they are pricing high as they know we are keen on it.

jam-bo

Make your offer and leave a contact number.

andy4d

Tell them what your terms are and be prepared to walk if they say no.

theotherjonv

if they won’t move on price then as you say, go for extras like free servicing, tank of fuel, road tax paid, etc.

And be prepared to walk even if it is perfect. You might need to risk it, in order to get a call again on Monday morning wanting to talk. There will be others.

DickBarton

Cheers…sounds like my thinking isn’t too far off then…I’ll wait for them to call, ta.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I tried the same tactic. My dealer was way below what I wanted for my trade in, the best they would do was chuck in the warranty deal which was about £300. I left them my number and walked away fully expecting a phone call a day or so later but no, there was nothing further heard from them and the car was sold to another buyer the following day.

jam-bo

^^^^

car dealers aren’t stupid. They know what something will sell for.

br
    Free Member

Remainder of car price is about 400 quid more than we budgeted for.[/I]

If you’re spending £20k then there maybe haggle-room, if you’re spending £4k there maybe not.

Also, if the car is right and you’re happy with it, is it worth £400 to find another?

Jamie
    Free Member

And be prepared to walk even if it is perfect.

Yes. Walk away from a car you really like just to save a few quid.

theotherjonv

£400 is not a few to me…..

DickBarton

Agreed, 400 quid isn’t a small amount to me…I’ll seewhat they say and see what can be done.

geoffj

Would the warranty be worth the paper it was printed on?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

£400 is not a few to me…..

Not to me either – but when cars are involved £400 is potentially a drop in the ocean!

I hate paying over the odds so part of me says make your best offer and be prepared to walk. But then again, how much of your time is worth £400? You could spend weeks or months trying to locate another ideal motor…

theotherjonv

Very true. On a £20K ‘perfect’ car, I’d be tempted to pay it; if you’re spending £4K then £400 is a huge difference.

steveh

The most important part in this is how is the car priced already? If it’s less than comparable ones they probably won’t move on price – why would they? If it’s over you have more chance but don’t know their cost price and cost base etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

I probably worded it badly. Of course £400 is a lot of money, well unless you’re CFH, but in terms of cars it’s not a huge percentage.

I think the biggest issue is we’re always worried the salesman is ripping us off. So we try to do the haggling thing to feel better. Sometimes they probably are, but others the car is just the best price it can be, and the market supports it. Hence no to offers.

I think if you looked upon it as £400 extra to get exactly what you want, rather then being fiddled, it’s easier to square this particular circle.

But then maybe I am just a rube compared to those on here who won’t leave the showroom till they’ve got a go on the sales person’s partner in the deal.

Edit: I should add I am currently trying to buy a car, so feel your pain.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Very true. On a £20K ‘perfect’ car, I’d be tempted to pay it; if you’re spending £4K then £400 is a huge difference.

It was more just in the grand scheme of car ownership – buying, insuring, tax, fuel, servicing, etc… – after a few years £400 might seem insignificant!

geoffj

Do you like and trust the salesperson? My last 2 car buying decisions have been based on my view of the seller / salesperson. People buy from people. If you feel comfortable with them then worry less about the price. I went to look at new cars last week, and I now know I won’t be buying a volvo or merc based entirely on the experience with the salespeople.

tjagain

Forget the warranty – its almost certainly not a real warranty but an insurance based scheme with so many exclusions that its just a waste of money

stuey
    Free Member

What tj said.

project
    Free Member

bought the last van, got a slight discount, told them i wanted a full mot, full tank of fuel, mats,roof rack,ply lining and got it all,discounts are ok freebies are betterer

mattbee

Bought a car last weekend. Up for 4.5k, ended up with a cracking PX deal that was pretty close to what I’d have got for my Freelander if I sold myself.
    No real haggling needed as he spotted my Hope key ring, asked if I was a cyclist. Turns out he used to be a training buddy of Rob Hales, was pleased I knew who he was & we just chatted about cycling for nearly an hour before he basically agreed to my price & we shook hands. Easiest & most pleasant car but I’ve had.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Stuff the warranty, as above.

Go for MOT, service and full tank of fuel if you want to close the gap a bit more. They are far easier for the garage to give.

totalshell

have a friend who is a main dealer .. they have a simple ethos.. the price you see is the price you pay. they pay px what they can get for your car .. literally.. no bargaining no haggling thats it. no extras no give aways no free petrol no bunch of flowers.. they sell more of that make than any other dealer and win trade/ consumer awards what seems like every month.

andyrm
    Free Member

Mistake here is you’re trying to haggle rather than negotiate.

Think about it – why should he reduce price and lose a percentage commission? Sounds like it’s a spot on car he can sell for full price and make full commission.

Turn it round, be open. Say to him “We want this car but it’s just £400 too much which is stopping us going ahead. What can I do for you as part of this deal that will make you able to get the price down?”

He might ask you to complete sale on a certain day to hit an incentive, split payment types to hit a bonus, or something else.

Help him hit his targets and bonuses and he’ll help you.

DickBarton

What is the difference between haggling and negotiating, same thing is it not? I’m hoping for either a reduction in price or some other things thrown in…

Jamie
    Free Member

https://hbr.org/2014/06/negotiating-is-not-the-same-as-haggling

I think it negotiation comes down to both sides being productive in reaching a common goal. Whereas haggling is a bit more destructive.

bigdean

I’d ignore the warranty use the cash to get cambelt water pump oil changed.

I’d start thinking is it a good value purchase for you? Not what the best deal is nationally as car prices differ greatly. If your hàppy with the price by it and ignor all the “could of got that cheeper” brigade. Sometimes your free time worth more.

DickBarton

Agreed…I think it is a decent price but I’m convinced they aren’t giving us the best deal…if I can get the servicing included then it feels a much better deal.

Jamie
    Free Member

What if they say no the the servicing? You prepared to walk?

DickBarton

Think so…it isn’t feeling like a good deal just now.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well good luck. Buying cars is a pain in the arse.

Drac

Turn it round, be open. Say to him “We want this car but it’s just £400 too much which is stopping us going ahead. What can I do for you as part of this deal that will make you able to get the price down?”

Haggle you mean?

Unless it’s a relly great example of a car you want at a very good price then be prepared to walk, there’s always another car waiting for the right price.

jam-bo

there’s always another car waiting for the right price.

Or £400 more….

Jamie
    Free Member

Having spent most the last week looking for exactly what I am after, I am not sure I can 100% agree with the ‘always another car available’ sentiment. If I found the car I was after, with the spec/history I was after, I reckon at this point I’d spend the £400 extra.

Drac

Or £400 more….

Hence the first part of my sentence you edited.

Sundayjumper

Having spent most the last week looking for exactly what I am after, I am not sure I can 100% agree with the ‘always another car available’ sentiment.

Based on less than a week of looking, you think there’s never going to be another one available ?

newrobdob
    Free Member

My whole car only cost £400 and it’s awesome. Don’t know why that’s a relevant I just wanted to point it out. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Based on less than a week of looking, you think there’s never going to be another one available

It feels that way. Probably bollocks though.

My whole car only cost £400 and it’s awesome. Don’t know why that’s a relevant I just wanted to point it out

?

…saying that I sold my ’03 Fiesta for £400 and it was a bloody lovely car.

mattyfez

Depends what the real value of the car is, if the dealer is confident he can sell it for x all day long he’s unlikely to budge unless he knows damn well it’s over priced and is confident he can make you stretch.

It’s only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Haggling to reduce car price from garage’ is closed to new replies.