Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Haggling for a new bike
  • justatheory
    Free Member

I’m not the best haggler but I’m assuming it’s standard practice for buying a new bike with cash? The bike I’m looking at is £2500 and it’s from an independent shop. I was wondering what kind of discount (if any at all) is reasonable to try for? I was thinking 10% but when you see some of the discounts in the sales it’s made me think it might be worth going for a bit more.

patriotpro
    Free Member

The worst they can do is say no…Best to have something to sunbstantiate your haggling though such as, it being cheaper elsewhere.

You’re more likely get more in the way of ‘value’ if you ask for free goods ime…

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Only benefit from cash is the processing saving of a card…..unless you are buying it down the pub??

FuzzyWuzzy

10% is pretty standard, although as I get on well with the LBSs I’ve bought bikes from I’ve never asked. I guess they can only say no if you ask for more than 10% and on some models that are in short supply they may not even offer 10% (best you’ll probably get is some free accessories…).

justatheory
    Free Member

handybendyhendo, haha no, nothing like that!

I suppose it depends how well a particular model is selling whether they’ll be willing to budge.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

🙂

Maybe servicing and advice is a good trade off to an ‘online’ price??

justatheory
    Free Member

It’s for a Stumpjumper Evo and they do seem a bit thin on the ground and I can’t find any discounted online so I don’t rate my chances to highly, but as patriotpro says, I can only ask.

edward2000
    Free Member

Im professionally trained in negotiation so some quick advice. If you simply ask for 10% discount, expect a no.

The format usually is, ‘if I, will you…’

So try and buy a few extra bits, clothing etc with your new bike. So you would ask, ‘if i buy this bike and all this extra kit, will you reduce your price by X%?’ Also expect to meet half way.

I haggled 10% off my Intense frame as I said I would buy a CCDB with it too. I then spent the money i saved on a custom paint job #toocoolforschool – or whatever the kids are down with these days.

njee20
    Free Member

Only benefit from cash is the processing saving of a card…..unless you are buying it down the pub??

Except you’re charged more to bank cash than you are to process a debit card transaction – that’s the cheapest way for the shop.

You’re more likely to get free stuff than a straight discount, so unless you really don’t need any additional kit it’s a better bet to go down that avenue IMO.

justatheory
    Free Member

Sorry I should clarify, by cash I meant just not buying it on credit.

justatheory
    Free Member

edward2000, can’t I just send you in on my behalf? How about 5% of any discount you procure?

fubar
    Free Member

The format usually is, ‘if I, will you…’

e.g. If I don’t take this on the 0% credit you are offering but instead pay the full amount will you…

Personally I’d only be looking for a token gesture e.g. some different pedals thrown in or some free servicing as I want my LBS to survive

creamegg
    Free Member

Minimum 10% off in my experience. And that’s what they offer without even a mention of a discount from me.

From my understanding bikes bought on credit (via the shop) costs the shop a certain percentage so if your paying by cash/debit there’s always scope for negotiation.

butterbean
    Free Member

You won’t find any current model Specialized discounted online, because that’s how they work.

You can certainly ask the shop are they able to do some sort of deal if you bought one there & then, but considering what it is, and the limited stock availability yu might struggle.

My suggestion would be if you want one & are prepared to wait, there is a certain point in the year Specialized clear through warranty frames they stock for customers. Look at some of the heavy discounters online for them. Bikescene are good for taking bulk stock like that, so chances are you can worst case get a frame and build one up from there.

The frames have historically been quite reasonably priced.

peterfile
    Free Member

Im professionally trained in negotiation

Also expect to meet half way.

That’s some training you’ve had. Remind me never to sit on the other side of the table from you, I’d be eaten alive! 😆

edward2000
    Free Member

Very funny Peter. Justatheory – 5%? No.

discoduck
    Free Member

I’m not professionally trained in negotiations I’m from Yorkshire and I’ve never paid full price for anything, except maybe petrol and some other bits which some folk call essentials, but if I were in the market for a new bike I would say 10% is the minimum I would expect,

Even on bits from my LBS I get more than that !
    Also I’ve not bought a complete build for 20 years, but when I ask for bits I get them at a good price and often get them fitted as part of the service they provide, it ensures I don’t go trawling the Internet for bargains as they get their price and I get it for another, sure they build a price in somewhere for fitting but I get a great service and good value !

I just tend to open up conversation with “I’m not paying that much for it ! What can you do it for” if they can’t discount it then they dont want your business, because if I were to buy gloves, helmet, etc I’d expect money off that too !

It might sound harsh to some, especially those that work in the industry but its a buyers market ! And the Internet is a great place for searching out good deals,

njee20
    Free Member

It might sound harsh to some, especially those that work in the industry but its a buyers market ! And the Internet is a great place for searching out good deals,

Doesn’t sound harsh, you just sound like one of the ignorant few who believe they’re entitled to a discount, I always enjoyed not giving it! Much rather give a discount to someone who’s friendly, and has built a rapport, than someone who shouts loudly or is “professionally trained” in negotiation (FFS!).

treaclesponge
    Free Member

A few months back I walked into a shop to buy a new lid and new road shoes and pedals, over £500 worth all told. Had a good chat with the assistant, laughed about the colour choices, discussed what other people thought and bought, had a go on the turbo trainer challenge, chatted about bikes in general. When I got to the till the woman rang it through, then said, Ill knock a bit off for you and gave me 20% discount without me having to ask. I can only imagine for being a nice, friendly and easy-going customer. Its not about being trained in negotiation as njee says, its simply manners and approaching things the right way. If you are nice, they will be nice.

I cant imagine anything more annoying that working in a shop and people constantly telling me things are cheaper elsewhere. Go there then!

Mintyjim

perhaps you could ask for them (politely and having built up a rapport first – as above) to bung in some free stuff like helmets, gloves and a lock.

The price benefit to you could be circa £200 but the actual cost to the shop would £200 minus their mark-ups (overheads, profit etc.) and better than them giving you £200 off the bike.

These numbers are made-up, it’s the principle I’m trying to illustrate!

Good luck either way!

njee20
    Free Member

I cant imagine anything more annoying that working in a shop and people constantly telling me things are cheaper elsewhere. Go there then!

That was always my attitude (within reason obviously)! You’d be amazed at how many people think they’re doing you a huge favour by buying something, I just don’t get it!

hainman
    Free Member

Good luck,i just bought a Giant reign 2 a couple of months ago,asked the same question and was told NO…..i just managed to get a topeak chain splitter for free.

shotsaway
    Free Member

You don’t need to be trained in negotiation. Build up rapport with the member of staff and just before you get to the point where you will commit, assumptively ask “what deal will you do for me today?”

Don’t mention cash, credit cards, discounts etc.

Let them come back with an offer. The good sales people will throw your question back at you and they should ask you, what deal you are looking for? Remember their 1st offer won’t always be their best.

Haggling is fun. Enjoy it.

But remember, if their best offer doesn’t match your realistic expectation, just walk away.

discoduck
    Free Member

Hahahahaaaaa !
    Build a rapport ! I’ve done that ! I’ve only been shopping there 23 years……. And if not giving a discount makes you feel important then by all means feel free to elevate your ego, if you think me as customer is going to come into a bike shop and blow smoke up your arse while stroking your ego and hoping for a measly discount makes you feel important then I feel sorry for you,

I don’t ride on Turbo trainers in shops either ! I ride outdoors with the people I’ve grown up with who work in the shops where I choose to shop, I can walk in there sit chat drink coffee and even served a customer and had real life money to put in the till, but as they know me and knowing how much money I spend in there I feel that trust is there.

The fact that I can tell them I’m not paying full price without them feeling like they can choose to refuse it means more than customer / ignorant shopkeeper, because at the end of the day if the likes of me don’t spend 5 grand on bikes and hundreds on kit they would struggle to employ the staff and maintain a healthy business.

grantway
    Free Member

Always wait to the end of year sales and get an heavily reduced over priced Specalized bike

timwillows
    Free Member

Late September is discount season on bikes
    Always suspected there must be a quite month around february where sales are slow and they would be keener to deal

Toasty

I lied last time, “Evans said they’d do 10% off, but you’re closer. Would you match them?”. I like to feel like I’ve outwitted them.

njee20
    Free Member

at the end of the day if the likes of me don’t spend 5 grand on bikes and hundreds on kit they would struggle to employ the staff and maintain a healthy business.

Is this you? 🙄

Good thing you’re not trying to blow smoke up your own arse, no room with your head up there eh?

chief9000
    Free Member

10% is minimum I would expect. Last bike I bought I went to three stores, one offered a free helmet, one offered a 5% and the last offered 15%. The guys that offered the 15% were in fact real nice guys, so I was happy that they did offer that.

Anyway, Bike shops want to sell bikes, that’s their aim. So they will generally budge on price, if they dont they could lose a potential sale for the sake of a few quid.

I would start by getting into some general chit chat, being humble and looking like you are aiming to buy a lower end bike. Eventually work your way up to the actual bike you would like and give it the “hey that looks nice, but a bit out of my budget”

Basically, look like your going to spend less than you want and make the seller think that he has pushed you up to looking at the higher priced bike. Then throw a few tricks in like say you have to clear it with the mrs, long phone call out side and come in with your final offer. Bingo… just one idea I’ve seen a few people in action with amazing results. Anyway, the point is you make him think he has pushed you beyond your original budget. Also if you have some inside info and know how much cost price is you can know how much you can expect to negotiate.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a balance though, you’re not going to give away half your margin on a desirable bike that you know you can’t replace.

You’re quite right, if you’re buying an S-Works Stumpy, and there’s three others sat there, and the new one in the catalogue then you’ve got a strong case, but shops aren’t always as desperate to sell bikes as some people seem to think.

discoduck
    Free Member

Yes thats me, if thats the image that you have in your narrow band then i’ll take that all day long,

Do you still work in a Bike Shop ?
    Are you in retail at all ?

Do you still feel the need to elevate yourself…….

If you worked for me and had the attitude that you portray towards potential customers then i’d be in a position to be considerably ritcher than yew because i’d make sure you were on minimal wage !

I appologise if spending £5K on a bike is beyond your reasoning but i dont actually think its in any part for you to comment on and if you cannot comprehend that cash in equates to healthy business then you keep on stroking it !

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Don’t ask, don’t get.
    +1 for getting parts thrown in. better mark up on these.

njee20
    Free Member

Do you still work in a Bike Shop ?
    Are you in retail at all ?

No, and no. I spent a good number of my formative years working in a shop because it was a good laugh, and kept me in cheap bikes.

If you worked for me and had the attitude that you portray towards potential customers then i’d be in a position to be considerably ritcher than yew because i’d make sure you were on minimal wage !

No worries, you wouldn’t work for me, I’d avoid employing arrogant muppets.

I appologise if spending £5K on a bike is beyond your reasoning but i dont actually think its in any part for you to comment on and if you cannot comprehend that cash in equates to healthy business then you keep on stroking it !

Wind your neck in princess, a) I didn’t comment, b) perfectly happy with the notion of spending that sort of money on a bike and c) read what I put, you’re not God’s gift to bike shops because you’re buying things.

It’s “apologise” too.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Ignore most of the rubbish above. Not all shops are the same. Its all about you and this particular shop.

Just work out what gear you need etc, or look at the best online price for the bike and ask them to match.

But most importantly just don’t be a tool, feel like your entitled to it, your doing them a favour etc.

You want a bike, they want to sell bikes.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve not bought a complete bike for ages but got some money off / stuff chucked in for free when I bought my Rune frame. I demo’d the bike, chatted to the sales guy said that I would pay for it outright and he gave me an offer that I was happy with. I guess that I could have tried to get more but I was happy.

When I worked in a shop we tended to go diwn the route of x amount of free stuff rather than money off.

njee20
    Free Member

Stands to reason that you’ll get more in the way of free stuff, for the reason given above, it’s value to you is higher than the cost to the shop. £200 off a bike vs £200 of kit at trade will mean you do better!

PedalOn Podium Points were always an interesting quantification of the stuff they’d chuck in with a bike purchase, dunno if they’re still doing them.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

🙂 stop feeding the dancing duck…..one minute he never buys bikes, the next he is spending £5k on them……

TiRed

I get 10% off in my lbs just for being a good customer. I want the shop to thrive and am happy to pay a slight premium over the internet (although theyve stopped selling Exposure and would never have matched Wiggle’s Joystick offer). Work gets me 10% off at Evans on everything and the club the same at Giant.

If you don’t fancy haggling, CTC and Bc also gets a discount, but this is not normally on bikes. And if it is on a cycle to work voucher, forget it. The shops margin is paid to Cyclescheme so it is voucher OR discount, but not both. That seems fair enough to me.

njee20
    Free Member

And is why these days you’re often better to just get a 0% credit card and buy the bike outright rather than do Cyclescheme!

orangeboy
    Free Member

10% is reasonable be surprised if you get much more if any on a bike that’s short on stock from a brand that does well
    To limit online price cutting

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Haggling for a new bike’ is closed to new replies.