Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Hagg Farm and Ladybower loop
  • Premier Icon tomj
    Free Member

Every time I ride round Ladybower I do the same classic from the pub – Aston, Hope Brink, Potato Alley – up Rowlees to Lockerbrooke then down Gores Farm to the visitor centre before finishing with Derwent Edge and WLT

It occurs to me that I’ve never done the Hagg Farm descent as it looks rather good. But from the map I can’t work out how to incorporate it into a loop without large amounts of A57 riding (which doesn’t look fun) or missing out other good trails.
    Any suggestions of how to include it?
    Thanks

Premier Icon mrchrist

Straight over the road at the bottom and ride along the footpath to the bottom of potato ally.

Or push up the beast if you don’t want to ride a footpath etc.

Premier Icon MartynS

ohh here come a blizzard of ideas…
    Start in hope. Up roman road, down tattie ally, up lockerbrook, down nabs wood/gores farm. head towards visitors centre BUT.. as you ride along the road just before a cattle grid turn right up the forest road. takes you back to the top of Nabs wood, turn left back (retracing steps a bit) to the top then down hagg farm.
    Over road, drop to bridge bear left, up to bottom of the beast, down again with reservoir to your left, along access road look out for big metal gate. turn back on yourself and go up through peak MTB approved BW upgrade through Elmin pits farm back up to hope brink. then see how your legs are.. loads more to choose from!!

Premier Icon nickthegreek
    Free Member

Is it this descent?

Premier Icon MartynS

Don’t think so Nick.

Premier Icon Tracey

We are out in the Peak in the camper and will be doing all of that frome Hope at some point tomorrow. Assuming you come down from WLT and exit at the Ladybower Inn. Go up the A57 across the bridge and turn up heading to Fairhomes. As you pass the war memorial and just before the carpark on the left turn up the path and continue up to the top. At the top turn right and follow the path along the top all the way to the gate. Through the gate turn left and go down Hagg Farm.
    Cross the road and down path to to bridge. Over the bridge and you have a few options to climb back up.
    Just over the bridge turn right and climb up to mid way on Beast and then continue to top of Beast then left and down to Hope
    Or keep on bottom track and turn left after bottom of Beast and climb up refurbished track to obelisk and then back to Hope
    Or keep on bottom and then climb up track to top which brings out near to top of Whin Hill tracks and back to Hope.

Hope that make sense

Premier Icon sobriety
    Free Member

We used to do the trail up past Hagg Farm as a climb when we rode out from Castleton – it was basically a farm track and would be a motorway to ride down – it lead past an outdoor centre and on to a piece of trail known I think as “Screaming Mile” that dropped down to the road around the upper derwent reservoir that was good fun.

Premier Icon MartynS

@sobriety
    Not hagg farm.. I’m 99% sure you’re describing the climb known as lockerbrook switchbacks.
    The farm descent begins at the top of this climb. There’s 3 bridleways that meet up here.
    The hagg farm descent really isn’t a motorway!!

Premier Icon julians

Not hagg farm.. I’m 99% sure you’re describing the climb known as lockerbrook switchbacks.
    The farm descent begins at the top of this climb. There’s 3 bridleways that meet up here.
    The hagg farm descent really isn’t a motorway!!

Which one is the hagg farm descent then?

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Find Hagg Farm outdoor activity centre on Snake Road. The decent starts where two bridleways meets a bend in the track above the outdoor centre and zig zags it’s way down through open land then into woodland . It ends where it meets the drive way to the activity centre.

If anyone who is not familiar is thinking of riding it today, I could be tempted by a potter around there. Drop me a message.

Premier Icon Tracey

We have always known the green zigzag line between the two white dots to be the Hagg farm descent

Premier Icon julians

We have always known the green zigzag line between the two white dots to be the Hagg farm descent

yep, thats what I thought it was .

It just martynS description seemed to imply it was something else.

I’ve always done it as a climb, but have thought it looked like it would make a decent descent.

Premier Icon MartynS

ahh good a map, thank you Tracy
    I *think* sobriety was suggesting the (white) track from rowlee farm to the white dot west of lockerbrook outdoors centre is the one he knows a Hagg Farm. The description as a bit of a Motorway made me think that.
    Tracy has it exactly right, The green zigzag is the Hagg farm BW. Definitely not a motorway and even has some corners.

Lets not get started on where the screaming mile is….

OP are you any the wiser as to how to get this as a downhill on a ride?

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I *think* I’ve rode Hagg farm, does it have a gate in the middle of it? I think we climbed Broken road at some point to get to it? was a few years ago, IIRC it was a pretty nice wee flowy descent.

Premier Icon Tracey

Gate at the top then a few bermy bends in the open then another gate just before the rocky bit then a gate at the bottom before the tarmac to the road. only ever done it as a descent

We always get confused when the girls talk about all the trail names off Win Hill

Premier Icon erictwinge
    Free Member

only ever done it as a climb too. always thought it looked like a dreadful descent.in fact most of the fabled peak descents are shite! beast? rubbish. honestly dont see the attraction.

some of the trails off Win Hill are tremendous though, especially in these conditions! and good old Les Arcs never fails.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds familiar. We rode from Hope, did that, cavedale, the beast and potato alley IIRC, good days biking. Bloody busy though, I’m not used to that.

Premier Icon rsl1
    Free Member

I’d agree with suggestions from MartynS, that fireroad is a nice easy winch up to he as d back on yourself.

It is an option to just reverse your standard loop. WLT is a fun climb (if it’s still cool to say that nowadays) and you get a couple of good descents, it’s not as good as the classic loop direction though.

Premier Icon scandal42

Not sure what is dreadful about 3 beautiful natural berms that spit you into a nice technical and rocky descent with a few good turns.

Premier Icon remedyflyer
    Free Member

Years ago never had the middle gate which made it much more fun and even back in the day it was a good ride up and down on a motorbike before MTB were around.On that video when did they dig that trail up like that I take it it was to get to fell the trees not been in the peaks since 2019 got a week in July up there.

Premier Icon tomj
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Some good suggestions. I will get the OS maps out this weekend and see what I can do

Premier Icon Tracey

I remember it been done probably back in 2008ish. Once they had finished they rebuilt it all back. Usually only do it as a climb

Premier Icon Tracey

We have done the route you described today and tagged on what we suggested. Makes for a flowing ride.
    Couple of tag ons we did a circle to incorporate the Beast down hill on the way back and then a detour to Bradwell to pick up fish and chips. Trails were dry, fast and empty 😎

Premier Icon tomj
    Free Member

So today I did my classic Ladybower loop. Went up Rowlees to the top of the Hagg Farm descent, down it then span along the A57 for half a mile or so (luckily not too busy) and back up Rowlees.

Have to say I loved it! Maybe it’s not enough for the Gods of Awesomeness and Radnes on here but for this middle aged cautious rider it was great fun. Added only half an hour or so on to the ride and another fun descent. What’s not to like

Premier Icon timbog160

Been off the bike for various reasons lately, but some of the places being namechecked in this thread have got me salivating..!

Premier Icon Tracey

Glad you enjoyed it and it fitted in with your loop 😎

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

Fluffy Kittens. That is all. Though it isn’t the Hagg Farm descent anyway.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.