• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • had my first argument with a walker today
  • Pook

Riding out of Langsett precisely here, and I ride up past these two blokes. After I was past, one mutters to his friend,
    “yeah there’s no cycling signs everywhere. It causes erosion doesn’t it?”

I stopped and told him that actually, it’s a bridleway all the way to Ladybower.
    “Well there’s a no cycling sign down there” talking about in the woods round the resevoir. When i explained to him there were permissive bridleways through the woods he told me I was “talking crap”, and took his phone out to check the map.

Anyway, we carried on up the hill, then took great pleasure in having a rest by the bridleway sign at the t-junction. He didn’t make eye contact.

Tool.

Cracking ride nonetheless – loads of riders out on Cut Gate today. Hope you all had as much fun as we did despite the plank walking.

billysugger
    Free Member

You should have asked to see the map on his phone then seen how far he wanted to run to get it back

thepodge
    Free Member

it makes me laugh when people are so sure they are right yet clearly wrong.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

also, if anyone out there found a camera…

Pook

ah yeah – if anyone finds a red sony camera on cut gate, can they let Slowrider know?

Pieface

I bet the walkers found your camera

yossarian
    Free Member

The absolute most important thing is to make sure it doesn’t spoil your ride.

There are arsewipes around all over the place, deflect their shit back at them.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Out on Cutgate yesterday, lots of walkers – especially around that very point Pook. Heading up the switchback climb (they’ve felled all the trees!) we came face to face with a group of older walkers…

….who were all, without fail friendly, cheery and welcoming to two blokes trying to ride up the way they were choosing to walk down. In fact, every single walker and cyclist we met on Cutgate were having a good time (apart from the elderly asian chap who was lost before we put him right) and smiling.

Got a couple of miserable looks descending Whinstone Lee Tor towards Ladybower but that was it.

Great day to be out 🙂

First argument? How long have you been riding?

As thepodge says, every time they’re always right and you’re always wrong.

Nowadays I just tell that sort I ride where I please with no consideration for anyone except myself. Stops me getting wound up 😆

mintimperial

I brightened up the day for three ramblers this afternoon. Stopped just before the fairly technical bit of hill that they were ambling down and called out “Hiya! Can I get past?” Then, once they’d all turned round to look at me, for no apparent reason I promptly chucked myself over the bars from a standing start. How they did laugh…

Felt a right idiot but I bet they’ll feel less antagonised by other cyclists now, I should get a medal or something.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Only ever time i’ve had an issue with walkers was on the way down the Pack Horse trail – it is a bridal-way (though the routes to it may not be….)
    Anyways, as ever, i’m heading down at my standard jaycore-mincer pace and, as ever, I always slow and make way for those heading up – for the trail is a single-track. Walker, actually in red socks, starts to berate my presence on the footpath, in front of around 6 of his mates…
    I politely advise him that I have slowed and given way on what is actually a bridal-way, he stands firm about the footpath, I politely suggest he checks he map, he lifts it, points his finger at the route and, of course, finds i’m right…… oh, the rest of the run down felt so good 😀

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Good effort taking one for the team.

Had a great chat with an elderly farmer up on the edge of the Preselis. He thought it was hilarious that someone would take a bike up there.

compositepro
    Free Member

The landowner is more pissed off at the moment about walkers and their dogs not being on leads …the signs are there for all to see and they still aren’t complying with that…so maybe next time point that out to em

crazy-legs

I had a similar thing on the Shooting Cabins descent last year, a walker said “surely you shouldn’t be here?” although it was in more of a puzzled tone than confrontational.

I said that it was a bridleway and she replied “oh I know that, I just thought it’d be far too difficult for a anyone on a bike!”

🙂

PePPeR

My best one ever was on a local ride on a bridleway which is actually farm track and there was a woman walking a dog and I just knew she was up for giving me some grief, I had my daughter with me and I was riding slowly along waiting for her.

She stopped me and tried to tell me that I wasn’t allowed to ride where I was riding as it was her sons land and there were no cycling rights over it!

I said Oh that’s fine 1. it’s a bridleway and 2. Mik Squires the local farmer, your son has given me permission to ride where I like anyway!

He told me later on in the pub that evening that she came in fuming and he put her right that I was perfectly in my right to ride where I was riding and that yes he had given me permission to ride where I wanted! 😉

She had been stopping over on holiday and was obviously enjoying her “Get orf my land” holiday!

slowrider
    Free Member

. Hope you all had as much fun as we did despite the plank walking.

Arrr me hearties! I must’ve missed walking the plank, was that when I was looking for my camera?

Highlights for me were the buff, dusty single track (with critical feedback on my technique from pook) and Rich bravely protecting us from his exploding inner tube by putting his testicles in the way. My hero!

Pook

Not some much critical feedback – I just thought other people should know about your attempted gnarl.

Cracking ride today though. Wonder if Rich has managed to sooth the rubber burns yet.

Rubber burns…wasn’t he a scottish poet?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘had my first argument with a walker today’ is closed to new replies.