Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Had it with tubeless
  • oldgit
    Free Member

funkynick
    I'll agree with you on the winter use bit. I had Mud X on the 819s all winter and the never missed a beat.
    When I went back to just one bike I ended up using a mixture of tyres for races and other events and budget tyres for general trail use. That's when tubeless became a pain.
    Things is you can't diss one or the other because of a bad experience. Ironically my mate who is also a bikeshop owner is always having punctures with tubeless and he also seems to tear a fair few NNs hence none of his riding buddies have ever bought tubeless.
    So yes tubeless on my singlespeed all winter was bloomin briliant, but to be honest I'm getting on just as well and with no problems running tubes again.

Brown
    Free Member

I'm fairly sure I never used to rip so many tyres running tubes. Or at least, when I did, it didn't matter.

As for the pinch thing with tubes/tubeless, yes, you do get the same punctures, but it doesn't usually need a new tyre! I think tyre sidewalls also wear faster tubeless – you get those little diagonal lines much earlier than usual – possibly leading to punctures quicker? I also think the tube does support the tyre a little, especially when you're running it around 40psi (I always had to run around this with tubes).

As for riding style, I definitely ride 'heavy' (I'm not – I only eigh 11.5 stone!). I tend to ride in a fairly clumsy manner, fairly fast (off the brakes over rocks kind of thing), so yes, I am at least part to blame!

Anyone ever had issues with tyres blowing off rims? I've jsut stuck a kevlar high roller on the back and am properly nervous about it after my last experience with a kevlar maxxis! (Usually use steel-beaded ones.)

The only bombproof tyre I've found was a dual-ply steel-beaded HR. But that's not so good around the Peak.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

bit of advice if your running tubeless do it properly & stop dicking around with conversion kits …they are far too fiddly .

uplink
    Free Member

bit of advice if your running tubeless do it properly & stop dicking around with conversion kits …they are far too fiddly .

For the average guy who does his own spannering, I don't think it's too fiddly at all
    If your not competent or don't feel comfortable – yes, I'd say go for proper tubeless

Joxster
    Free Member

Never had any issues with UST, never needed to use a compressor. I just make sure the inside of the rim is clean whenever I change the tyres.

fontmoss
    Free Member

its not that fiddly in all honesty but it just hasnt shown me much love of late

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Had it with tubeless’ is closed to new replies.