Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Hacienda reunion……anyone?
  • lowey

“Worst” ones that I went to were Shelley’s in Stone

Shelley’s was Brilliant. Became our club of choice after all the Blackburn Warehouse parties got closed down. It was in Longton. Sure you got the right club ?

Harry_the_Spider

Yep. Longton. Must have had a bad night.

binners

You must have had a bad night at the Pier as well Harry. I used to bloody love Wigan Pier. It was an every Friday night place for years. Had some epic nights in that place

lowey – how about Zone in Blackpool? 😀

singlespeedstu

I met Mrs stu in Shelleys.😁😵
    We were both regulars there and the Eclipse
    Used to do the Eclipse on a Friday into saturday morning. Then head up to Longton for Shelleys on saturday evening then sometimes back to the Eclipse after Shelleys had turfed us out.
    Driving up and down the M6 has never been so much fun…
    God only knows how I managed to keep a job. Used to take until wednesday to come down🤣

wrightyson
    Free Member

I only ever went in niche in Sheffield once after the northern exposure tour. I’ve never been so eye opened and scared all at once. I will never forget the man walking in to the toilets with a tray of drugs and I’m not joking. I looked and just thought this isn’t for me. I had a cup of tea and **** off!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Just missed out on Eclipse and Shelleys but older mates went and I treasured the Sasha mix tapes from that era. Randomly found the bloke who produced PKA’s Temperature Rising (Philip Kelsey who’s into MTB, on Facebook). It was Golden at Hanley and Wobble at Hockley, Brum for me.

binners

In the beginning, after the Blackburn Warehouse nonsense, we used to do Wigan pier on a Friday and the total mentalness that was Legends in Warrington On a Saturday.

On Doves, obvs. The whole north of England seemed to be fuelled by Doves at the time 😃

People go on about Madchester, but in reality it was made in Blackburn, Burnley, Farnworth, Wigan and Warrington.

And Morley deserves a special mention for the techno lunacy of Orbit

Like singlespeedstu Christ only knows how I held a job down. Tragic Tuesday would be truly tragic

singlespeedstu

Jim.
    We also had a few visits to Wobble later on in our lives.🤣
    Remember the decks hanging from chains from the roof getting knocked and the records skipping on many an occasion.
    Did you ever do the illegal CREAM nights?
    Chevron Shoes/ Rabanas?

redstripe
    Free Member

Used to go with mates in the mid 80’s just before the e generation, more beer and whizz focussed then. I do remember the gay traitor (?) and lots of pints of snakebite on the 50p nights and sleeping it off in a car parked around the corner before attempting to head home. And various Factory / indie bands of the time there. Good times, not sure I’d want to go back to it though.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Stu, not the illegal nights. It was the progressive era (92/93 IIRC?), D.O.P, Leftfield, Lionrock, TC93 etc. Good tunes!

binners

Lionrock? I believe we’ve been slacking on this thread by not actually posting any choooooons up. A massive oversight.

So I’m starting with not even a house tune, but it’s bloody brilliant. The Lionrock remix of My Beautiful Friend

Then we’ll get stuck in with a proper Wigan Pier tune (the benchmark of all good music)

Let’s have ‘em then, you lot

matt10214
    Free Member

I never made it over to the Hacienda as it had all gone a bit pear shaped when I started clubbing in early 91. I enjoyed Palais/Jam Factory/Love To Be/Bed & Rise in Sheffield, Hot To Trot/Renaissance in Mansfield/Derby and a stonking night at Havana in Middlesborough!

This always bring back memories of those first few ‘doves’

timbog160

Christ how could I forget Shelleys!

Was Wobble the place in Brum that didn’t open til 2?

singlespeedstu

Yep. some proper **** ups in there as soon as it opened. No need to wait a couple of hours.😄
    An interesting Wobble fact. Dirt Magazines opening party was in Wobble. I don’t think the Dirt boys knew what a night out was.
    The nearest it got to any excitement was Jerry Dyer thinking he was Rock n Roll waving a shit little spliff around on the dance floor while wearing a TroyLee top.😟
    Jim
    You missed out mate.
    Nothing better than having to duck down under a half open roller shutter door in an industrial unit in Hockley to find yourself in a building with all the fire escapes chained shut.😄

northernsoul

Went once in 1988 to see James supported by the Happy Mondays. A mate had a freebie because someone pulled out at the last minute. TBH I thought that James were ok and the Happy Mondays were a bit shit…

trifoster
    Free Member

Essential mix
    Tong
    The beginning of progressive trance
    We forgive you for your truly terrible mixing.
    Mitsubishi 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Happy Mondays were a bit shit…

That was the point of them. I wasn’t much into dance music and Es, which is probably why I didn’t get on with some of the clubs mentioned.

The Mondays on the other hand I must have seen half a dozen times and it was always brilliant carnage. I’ve seen them fight amongst themselves, fight with the crowd, refuse to play because someone stole Bez’s maracas and was in Blackpool at the Black Grape gig when Bez re-joined the band after getting sacked. Now that was a night to remember! I bet the Winter Gardens Ballroom suffered structural damage due to the bouncing.

johnx2
    Free Member

Did you ever do the illegal CREAM nights?

I remember cream when it was up a few concrete flights of stairs off a shopping street in liverpool, prob round ’88? Dancefloor upstairs, bar with great old school jukebox downstairs. Then we (and it was ‘we’ by then) moved to london and got jobs, but you’d still see some of the same faces.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Used to go to Shelley’s from Wolves every now and again. Some decent raves. Stu Allen an crew. He’s still knocking out mixes on Mixcloud.

Was a Quest boy but I was only 16/17 and it was…. a certain clientele….Quest for rave and First Base / Amazon in Wolves for some jungle. Then jungle got a bit dark and stabby so I got into techno and acid.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

one of my best friends at school was the bass player in new fast automatic daffodils and then founded Unabomber and did Electric Chair nights at the Roadhouse and then Music Box. If that rings a bell with any of you?

trumpton
    Free Member

I loved the New Fads and saw them live supporting the Charlatans I think. Still listen to their album now.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I did most of my clubbing in Brum. The Dome and Powerhouse were pretty good. After cheap beers in the Barrel Organ. The delights of Digbeth.

hammerite
    Free Member

Binners – I’m a mate of Phil’s. Used to ride together a fair bit until I just got lazy.

doris5000

Loving this thread 😀

I moved to Manchester for uni in 1998 so I missed out on all this – I was the mitsi generation, at the Phoenix, the Music Box, that club under Affleck’s, various railway arches etc etc. Love hearing all the stories

Used to do the Eclipse on a Friday into saturday morning. Then head up to Longton for Shelleys on saturday evening then sometimes back to the Eclipse after Shelleys had turfed us out.
    Driving up and down the M6 has never been so much fun…

this stuff blows my mind! Even in my ravingest days, I could never do 2 nights straight through. And adding driving into the mix would have been absolute carnage!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Remember a few (looking back, ridiculously dangerous) drives from Wolves to Sheffield and back. I wasn’t, and wouldn’t drive, far too mullered…. But my friends who did drive. Well we’re here by the grace of.

“Let’s go Crasher? We’re meeting xyz in the Howard”

“Let’s go to the Arches…. NY Sushi…..” etc etc….. Yeah. Great idea.

(Wicked nights though)

Did anyone go to the Love Parade in Leeds?

lowey

lowey – how about Zone in Blackpool? 😀

Finished my long clubbing career there after an incident that very nearly finished me.

In the beginning, after the Blackburn Warehouse nonsense

Sett End and the Blackburn raves were the best times of my life. Genuine chaos. Hardcore Uproar!!

inkster
    Free Member

I worked there as a pot lad and worked on the beer delivery back in 86-89, also did a bit of promotion and dj ing in the fifth man in 96

A good employer, 2 free cans of red stripe or breaker at the end of the shift and a complimentary taxi home via Salmonds for some chicken and dumpling,

I remember Peter Hook driving his new sports car into the club through the big doors at the end of one evening and the bar staff expessing surprise as we knew he couldn’t afford it, being more aware of the state of his finances than he was.

As a pot lad you got to (had to) go into all the alcoves.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Have a bit of this….

Garry_Lager

The Mondays on the other hand I must have seen half a dozen times and it was always brilliant carnage. I’ve seen them fight amongst themselves, fight with the crowd, refuse to play because someone stole Bez’s maracas and was in Blackpool at the Black Grape gig when Bez re-joined the band after getting sacked. Now that was a night to remember! I bet the Winter Gardens Ballroom suffered structural damage due to the bouncing.

You ever see them more recently Harry? They are on tour later this year (think with the original line up) and we (me and a few old friends) were thinking of getting together and going. Could be an absolute tragedy of a gig though.
    Playing Manchester in November.

tjagain

I never made it to the Hacienda despite living in Manchester in the 80s. couldn’t be bothered with the queues. I was also more into Reggae anyway – I do remember going to the PSV in the Moss. Differnt sort of dodgy!

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Hacienda reunion……anyone?’ is closed to new replies.