Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gym goers, what trainers do you use?
  • tomhoward

So since joining the gym I’ve learned, aside from how unfit I am, that 5:10s are not the ideal gymming shoe, what with stiff soles etc. So I went to my local hellhole shopping centre (white rose in Leeds) and having looked in sports direct and JD sports, I’m none the wiser. Obvs I won’t be lining Mike Ashley’s pockets, and the only difference between the shoes in JD seemed to be the price (£50-£140), and how weird the materials they could use (one pair were crocheted!)

Is it a running shoe I want (TBH I’m not doing any running…) or is the a more all round sort? I’ve seen lots of articles that say you don’t need to spend more than about £60 on decent trainers, so that’s my budget.

Haze

I just wear my running shoes, i don’t use any of the cardio stuff though so could probably get away with slippers.

prawny

If you’re not running I’d have thought 5:10s would became good as anything. I tended to wear tennis type shoes as rubbing trainers are crap for free weights, too much squish.

zilog6128

What gym stuff are you doing? Normally just wear Converse but any old trainer will do really. Squat & deadlift just in socks though (as noted above, don’t want any squish)

tomhoward

Lunges (not great with a stiff sole), squats, weights, bike (recumbent position, flat pedals..)

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

If you’re lifting heavy (squats, deadlifts) then get something with minimal cushioning.

frankconway

Tom, you’re in/near leeds so try john lewis; click & collect, sale now on & they price match.
    If you order by 7pm today they’ll be available for in-store collection tomorrow afternoon.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I bought some Nike Air something or other 10 years ago, they still look new – I don’t run, I just wanted something light and a I sweaty as possible for the rower and cross trainer.

They’re made for running rather than lounging and they’re about as fashionable as a safari suit so they cost £15 I think in JD.

mactheknife

If all you re doing is weight etc then what you have is more than sufficient. Minimal cushioning will be best.

If you find 5:10 a bit bulky and cumbersome etc just find a cheap set that you like, are comfy and again have minimal cushioning.

If you start running then thats a different story but there is no need to break the bank. Or even spend any money. Do you not have an old set of trainers that fit you well??

Try them and see how you get on. Stability is where its at so that you can apply tension during workouts. Soft trainers are not very supportive and can lead to a whole host of other issues.

andyfla
    Free Member

personally i just do weights rather than cardio in the gym and I have a pair of 5 fingers, they are great, like wearing no shoes at all

Toddboy
    Free Member

Nike 5.0

Didn’t like them at first, but love them now. Definitely buy another pair.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

converse all stars are decent , any sort of minimal cushioning

wrecker
    Free Member

Merrell trail gloves.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Lidl running shoes. Lightweight, supportive, really comfortable and plenty of the uppers are made of gauze so great ventilation indoors. £14.

Job, as they say, jobbed.

jjojjas
    Free Member

I use any. I just do heavy lifts with my trainers off.

bennyball
    Free Member

I wear one of the Nike free range for cardio and generally in the gym. However for squats, deadlift etc I go barefoot. I’d imagine my five tens would be brilliant for lifting as they are flat and sturdy

seadog101

New Balance MT 101, minimal-ish supposedly trail shoe. just enough cushioning on the running machine, and robust enough for other jumpy about sweaty business.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Look at Inov8’s, I get mine from sports shoes.com.
    They make really good shoes, for
    Running, lifting etc, their range is pretty good

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Gym goers, what trainers do you use?’ is closed to new replies.