Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Gym/fitness shoe recommendations
  • Cletus

Hi,

I am looking for some new trainers to wear at the gym and have been underwhelmed at the choice available at my local Sports Direct and JD Sports stores. They seem more fashion led and the shoes are not labelled by use – running/gym etc.

I am a size 9 with fairly wide feet and want something for inside use which comprises mainly of kettlebell and spin classes but also occasional rowing and treadmill plus maybe free weights in the future.

Any recommendations for vendors and or good deals you are aware of.

Toying with the idea of Nike Metcon 7’s but not sure how good they will be for spin classes (toe-straps on metal pedals) and concerns about spending £125 given some reviews mention durability concerns.

There seem to be lots of shops catering for runners which have good stock and advice but gym goers are left with mainstream shops like Sports Direct whose staff do not seem to be trained to give advice.

lunge

Metcon’s are your default gym shoe, no shoe will be perfect on a spin bike but they’ll cover most bases.

Have a look at Reebok shoes as well, they’re ridiculous value for money (loads of discount codes available) and get good reviews. https://www.reebok.co.uk/men-cross_training-shoes

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Im currently using Reebok Nano X1’s, same as you size 9 and slightly wide at the front.

I find them comfy and supportive for everything that you have described and pretty much anything you can do in the gym, also slightly less expensive than the nikes.

Replaced an older pair of reebok nanos that were about 6 years old when they finally wore out.

lamp
    Free Member

Nobull
    Nike Metcon’s
    Inov8 F-Lytes

MSP

with fairly wide feet

altra solstice xt 2

sirromj

Love my Merrell vapour gloves, a bare foot style shoe. Great for wider feet comfort. Not a gym goer myself but if I was I’d wear them there! Currently commute on my bike wearing them but they’re waaaay too minimillist for proper cycling. They’re fine for running in once used to them and you’re careful of stones.

Robz
    Free Member

I use Nike Metcons in the gym for lifting and circuit style training etc. I’ve had many pairs over the years. Love them. I used to wear Proper lifting shoes for squatting etc but now don’t bother as the Metcons are so good. I’m sure they’d be fine for spinning as the sole is quite stiff. The toe box is quite wide but I am sure they’d still fit fine in straps – they do in the rower.

I wouldn’t want to run any major distance in them though. They’re deffo not running trainers.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Nike have an excellent range on there website I currently use Metcon Turbo, Legend Essential and just about to purchase Nike Air Max Alpha 4 Trainer best to order direct from Nike online.

BillOddie

I have wide feet and get on much better with Reebok Nanos than Nike Metcons.

I also don’t think it’s possible to wear out Nanos unless you are doing loads of rope climbs…

toby1

I may be a trainer collector, but for me, I have some Nike ‘training’ shoes with little cushioning for lifts, for running, I go outdoors and have some stabilising running shoes (Brooks), for all round gym use I’d probably use a running type shoe like a Nike Pegasus.

I have really wide forefoot and narrow heels and I tend to find nike works well for this fit although I often alter the lacing to clamp more on the heels.

Bazz

What ever falls in budget at Decathlon.

footflaps

I just use an old pair of Salomon trainers – I have some Metcons but think I’ve only worn them twice or something…

joebristol

No one pair of trainers is ideal for all of that in my mind.

Running anything meaningful I’d use proper running trainers – then for everything else go for something that hasn’t got too big a cushioned sole. I run in Brooks Adrenalines as I over pronate – they feel lovely and cushioned.

But I wouldn’t want to wear them for gym training. I just pickup whatever Nike trainers are on offer at the outlet centre – usually spend about £40. They last years and years as you aren’t breaking down the cushioning through loads of hard impacts like running.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Weight lifting shoes with raised heel like Innov8 if doing deadlift / squats / free weights.

Metcons for your CrossFit / kettlebell stuff.

Cycle shoes for your spin.

Metcons if only one shoe but the moment you lift real weight or push power output on bike you will run into trouble.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Metcons if only one shoe but the moment you lift real weight or push power output on bike you will run into trouble.

Something like that, although for most people deadlifting would be done barefoot, and everything else a pair of converse. You really don’t want any cushioning in the sole.

And seeing as only psychopaths got to the gym to do cardio, that leaves a pair of Converse Chucks.

joebristol

Something like that, although for most people deadlifting would be done barefoo

I’m not a regular gym goer anymore since I put together my home gym – but on the occasion I go to David Lloyd on a guest pass (wife is a member) I don’t see too many people deadlifting bare foot. Lots more in dedicated weight lifting shoes like Adidas Power Perfects.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not a regular gym goer anymore since I put together my home gym – but on the occasion I go to David Lloyd on a guest pass (wife is a member) I don’t see too many people deadlifting bare foot. Lots more in dedicated weight lifting shoes like Adidas Power Perfects.

Then they’re making it harder for themselves starting at a deficit.

Although that kinda depends whether you want to improve your deadlift for the sake of it, or if you’re deadlifting to improve something else. For the former, going barefoot will let you lift more weight with less risk of injuries. For the latter, doesn’t matter as the bar height is just nominal so it’s consistent, wearing shoes just effectively makes it lower. Same reason you always put at least one pair of Olympic plates on the bar, they’re larger diameter than the normal gym plates so raise the bar.

And for gyms that don’t allow you to go barefoot, there are deadlifting socks.

Cletus

In the end I went for a pair of Nike Metcon 8’s in a vivid shade of blue. Have worn them for a couple of kettlebell classes and am quite impressed so far.

They are very stable compared to my old trainers and seem good quality.

Bought on-line from wit.com who had a 10% off for first order deal.

footflaps

Weight lifting shoes with raised heel like Innov8 if doing deadlift / squats / free weights.

You only really need proper weight lifting shoes if you’re doing proper weight lifting (Clean & Jerk and the Snatch). The heal lift makes it easier to sit in a deep squat when you’re holding more than body weight over head.

Deadlifts are best done in bare feet or socks. For free weights it doesn’t make any difference.

FWIW I do all my weights wearing my gardening shoes (very old pair of Solomon trainers) as they slip on and off like slippers and I do some things bare footed. I’ve not worn my proper lifting shoes since I stopped weight lifting a few years ago.

For lunges I quite like bare foot as it’s much harder and you realise how much you rely on shoes to make up for untrained foot muscles. So I figure I get more bang for my buck doing them in my socks.

funkmasterp

Vibram Five Fingers Speed, Merrell foot glove or Vivo trainers here. Crap on a bike but I avoid bikes in the gym. Bikes is for fun and moving innit!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.