Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gxp bottom brackets, choice of one?
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

Apart from crazy ceramic is there only the choice of one type at circa £20?

Also anyone found them really stiff to install? Just doing a frame swap and my old bb got suspiciously tight and startied to twist, thought my new frame was gubbed but checked it with a shimano bb and it twisted in by hand?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Hope stainless with the gxp shim.

lovewookie

also wheels maanufacturing do one for about £60.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No need to go buying new BBs. The one advantage of GXP is easily replaceable bearings and Wheels Manufacturing do a repair pack for just this purpose

http://wheelsmfg.com/22mm-gxp-abec-3-bb-repair-pack.html

£20 from Madison via your LBS or £30 for the posher angular contact bearing pack

paton
    Free Member
    Picto
    Free Member

Found the bearings to be made of cheese in the sram one that came fitted in my bike.
    Uber bikes replacement seems to be lasting well.

tom.nash

Had an Uberbike BB in for 9 months and over 1000km and it’s still running faultlessly.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Never got more than 1k miles out of the Sram gxp bb, a pattern repeated over several bikes.
    Decided to pay a bit more this time and got the wheelsmfg one

munkyboy
    Free Member

So I have about lost it. I am trying to fit my old gxp bb to a new frame (till a new one arrives) and every time time I try it goes out of alignment halfway in. A shimano bb screws in fine. Have I gubbed the thread of the old sram bb, are shimano threads looser or do I need to get the new frame thread chased? What to do…

joebristol

If one bb fits in fine and the other doesn’t when they should have the same thread I’d be suspicious of the old bb threads.

For the cost of a new bb I’d get a new one asap and pop that in instead. If that goes tight as it’s going on I’d go to the lbs and get them to check the threads / face it etc.

Not read anything good about Gxp BBs but got one that came new in my current bike so I’m curious to see how well it lasts.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Although bearings are often crap in many makes of BB, I’d be amazed if there were ever manufacturing defects in BB cup threads. I’d be more concerned about your frame’s BB threads than anything else.

To answer your question, there’s hardly any difference in thread ‘looseness’ between one make and another (amount of thread-lock applied in factory probably makes more difference). They would never compromise on something that critical, and it’s not particulary difficult for Shimano/SRAM and others to create good quality threads of the same tolerance. Good bearings are much harder to make !

In normal circumstances, the only reason one model of BB cup would be harder to install than another would be the length/depth of threaded section. For example, RaceFace DH cups have longer threads than normal BBs, and sometimes the threads in a frame aren’t as clean that far inwards. But that’s never a problem as once it’s screwed in that far, you just need to turn it a bit harder. However, you should never need to apply any force with a spanner until the very last moment.

Did you buy and fit your GXP BB new? If not, perhaps a previous owner bodged it…and damaged the threads.

And sorry to ask, but are you sure you’re screwing the drive-side cup into the correct side ?

As for bearing life, as mentioned already, if you want a BB that lasts with GXP cranks, get a Hope. You’re correct in that SRAM don’t seem to sell a ‘normal’ steel bearing BB for much more than £20 or £30 – and for that money you do indeed get bearings relative to that low cost, i.e. they’ll last about 6 months.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Turns out my old gxp drive side cup is damaged. Took a good clean and really close look to notice some weird twisted/bent threads. Going order a new one . just really surprised they don’t do performanve levels (like xt/txt etc). Will just have to buy and replace regularly

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gxp bottom brackets, choice of one?’ is closed to new replies.