Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • GXP BBs – un shite.
  • submarined
    Free Member

Are there any that are cheap? I know Hope are supposedly better sealed, but money. I’ve found mention of Token ones, but can’t find a suitable one anywhere.

Needs to fit a threaded BB, SRAM s1000 cranks.

Thanksmuchly.

benpinnick

Offer nothing but optimism that this would be good:

https://shop.acros.de/bottom-bracket/a-bb-bsa-r1/4968/bsa-innenlager-mtb/road?number=78.04.000R2S-GXP

65 Euros delivered.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

perhaps uberbike? think they do ceramic and stainless too.

not too pricey

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    submarined
    Free Member

Uberbike, good call, thanks!

The bike components one doesn’t work out much cheaper than a Hope one unfortunately. Current SRAM one had lasted circa 3 months.

clubby

I’ve just plumped for an Uberbike one. Had 25% off during January so got it for £25. Was looking at Hope as well, but they’ve gone up 50% since I bought my last one. Can get 3 uberbike ones for what a Hope costs. Will see how it lasts.

joebristol

I don’t get why Sram can’t make a better bb than they do. I had one go really gritty after a year of mostly dry ish mountain bike riding – yet hollowtech 2 ones comfortably go on longer.

I wonder if the step down in size on one side of the crank puts an uneven pressure on it, or if they just use bad bearings? Their jockey wheel bearings don’t seem well sealed / very good either.

I think when my current Gxp bb dies I’ll look at Hope and Uberbike options.

submarined
    Free Member

Uberbike oordered. And headset as well. Because every bearing on this bike has died in the last 3 months.

Anyone know what tool is needed? Instructions just say ‘use external bottom bracket tool’. Which I really hope is the same one I need to remove the SRAM one!

This one?

I’ve got one for a Hope BB already, guess it’s not that one. That would be too easy.

SRAM just don’t seem to be able to make anything with bearings that actually lasts a British winter 🙁

otsdr
    Free Member

I don’t get why Sram can’t make a better bb than they do.

Oh but they do now! /s

whitestone
    Free Member

SRAM – making stuff shite so you don’t have to!

They do seem to come out with kit that only works with other bits of their kit just because they can.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope, lasted years and sold on with the frame

fossy

Just popped the seals off my GXP this morning and packed them with Finish Line Waterproof grease – not the greatest amount of grease in there. Whilst I was at it, I also repacked the SRAM X9 jockey wheels – bugger all grease in them, and the lower had started to seize.

vincienup
    Free Member

Praxis units are inbound to the UK, preorder at Upgrade Cycles…

(no I don’t work for either, but spotted the Praxis units on their site and after looking asked Upgrade (their distributors in the UK) if they could get them. The response seems to have been positive, they clearly see a market in the number of Eagle GX groups sold this last year or so…)

fossy

£35 for the Praxis – worth while investment.

transporter13
    Free Member

Token ht2 bb then fit the hope gxp adapters..20 quid for the bb and about 10 for the adapters. Had this setup on some of my bikes for over a year with no issues and replacement bearings are easy to come by should you ever need them

jameso

“Praxis units are inbound to the UK,”

You can buy mine if you like – tenner posted. I killed the bearings in it in a long weekend of Chilterns winter SSing, bought new ones to replace them but haven’t bothered. Californian levels of sealing in the design, even with ‘Enduro’ bearings fitted I’m not confident in it.

New M8000 XTs are far better. But that doesn’t help with GXP, sorry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘GXP BBs – un shite.’ is closed to new replies.