Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • GXP BB’s
  • benz
    Free Member

I little creaky-clank has appeared from the BB area.

SRAM GXP BB.

Are there any alternatives to a GXP (i.e. Shimano with Hope adapters??)?

Thanks.

joebristol

I think generally it’s get another gxp, get a Hope with gxp adapters or something like an Uberbike gxp bb. So far I’m going with replace with gxp – my last one has lasted 2 years before it’s got a bit creaky – although the bearings still feel reasonably ok. For £20 I decided just to replace though rather than try cleaning the bearings out and regreasing them.

Hope bb is £85 last time I looked, plus the adapter. I can get nearly 5 gxp’s for that and I figure the bearings in Hope aren’t going to outlast that many gxp bb’s.

joemmo
    Free Member

Hope with adapters or BBB. You can service the bearings to get some more life out of them: take the dust covers off and then you can carefully pick off the seals to get at the bearing.

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/2014_xx1_service_manual_0.pdf

chiefgrooveguru

“Hope bb is £85 last time I looked, plus the adapter. I can get nearly 5 gxp’s for that and I figure the bearings in Hope aren’t going to outlast that many gxp bb’s.”

They have in my experience. I think you’ve been incredibly lucky with your first GXP BB.

jeffl

Had this conundrum on my bike recently. Bought some of those cheap XT cranks from CRC instead and sold the SRAM ones. Still got a GXP on the road bike/commuter and tend to change that once a year.

frogstomp

Have you tried servicing your current BB (SRAM Manual – Page 5)? Might get a bit more life out of it..

hopster
    Free Member

Uberbike bottom brackets on all my bikes as they are relatively inexpensive. Buy the stainless steel ones as ceramic is just unnecessary in my opinion. I bought spare top hats and GXP adaptors on eBay for a few pounds. Bearings (6805) are readily available and easy to replace. Tools available on eBay to remove and then press in new bearings. I pack the bearings full of grease before fitting and get around 12 months of use before replacing. I ride in all conditions and so expect them to need replacing every year.

hardtailonly

I think you’ve been incredibly lucky with your first GXP BB.

Agreed. I got about 4 months out of mine. Replaced with a Praxxis works one which has been good so far for nearly a year, several thousand Kms, and was about the same price as the Uberbikes ones.

matt_outandabout

I use Shimano BB with cheap eBay adaptors.
    It’s halved my annual BB bill across three bikes running SRAM.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Used a Hope one with the adaptors but didn’t like the fact that you have to drift the adaptors out to get access under the plastic cover to clean it up/add grease. After much searching ended up getting a C Bear bottom bracket. Now run them on all of my bikes.

kiwijohn

I went for a Wheels Manufacturing one.
    No plastic top hat spacer & replaceable bearings.

submarined
    Free Member

Had endless trouble with the Uberbike one on mine due to poor tolerances.

taxi25
    Free Member

My first two gxp B/B’s lasted about 3mnths each, I fitted a third but then bought a Hope BB and some adaptor’s. You guessed it the last GXP refuses to die, and I’m dying to fit the blingy orange Hope 😂

russyh
    Free Member

Same story for me with uberbike one, looked nicely made lasted weeks. Hope now fitted and running super sweet YPYMYTYC

archiebould
    Free Member

Hi

Hope you don’t mind but just a couple of questions.
    Fitted an Uberbike BB earlier this year and bearings now need replacing.

What’s the best way to get a) the top hats off without breaking them? One of mine cracked when trying and b) the bearings out?

What size/code are the bearings?

Hang on, is that 3 questions?!

Help much appreciated.

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

The simplest and best solution to a GXP bottom bracket is to throw the GXP chainset away, and then fit anything except Truvativ Sram GXP.

13thfloormonk

I have Hope with adaptors. Have never been able to get it spinning completely freely but don’t notice once I’m on the bike

Next step will be to follow Paton’s advice and get a new chainset, one step closer to an SRAM free bike! 😉

matt_outandabout

I’ve just ended up buying a complete new Shimano crankset and BB for all our GXP equipped bikes.

In the long term it’s much cheaper.

Deore or SLX are great, often on sale, and just work. I’ve a pile of XT BB’s that cost £8(!) each in a daft sale, to slowly replace our 6 Shimano BB’s.

Tracey

Spare top caps here

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/category/407/Bottom-Bracket-Spare-Parts

Running a couple of Uberbike ones. Only had to change one bearing in 2 years.

Easy to do but do have a bearing puller.

Also running a Hope one and a SRAM

In future probably will just fit SRAM as they seem to have got better

wzzzz
    Free Member

Why chuck the cranks out?!

I just use Shimano BBs with a £2 adapter from ebay.

failedengineer

Does anyone know if I can use those adaptors to use a Shimano press fit BB with my GXP crank?

binman

I removed the top hats just by wedging my fingers in and pushing them out.

Used a hope BB bearing tool to change them (in my uberbike BB), took a minute or two.

You can get replacement SKF bearings from Uberbike, but best wait until the inevitable 20% of bank holiday sale.

Tracey

Bank holiday sale is on

UBER10

Poopscoop

Tracey

Subscriber
    Bank holiday sale is on

UBER10

Cheers!👍

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘GXP BB’s’ is closed to new replies.