Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • GXP BB and crank play
  • Premier Icon philstone

I’ve got some X0 GXP cranks that I’ve had for ages, they recently developed play so assumed the BB needed replacing. When I took the old BB out it didn’t seem too bad, bearings actually felt ok but the new one went in anyway, but there is still play, never had this before.
    Any ideas? I’ve seen posts on the web that some people have used the wavy spacer with press fit BB to eliminate play, but not with GXP.

Premier Icon joemmo
    Free Member

are you positive it’s done up tight enough at the crank arm? GXP BBs need to be done up pretty hard.

Premier Icon philstone

Yep, physically can’t tighten it further. I did try a hope bb seal in the drive side as a spacer to see if it was just a dodgy BB and that did resolve it, but obviously with a lot of drag. That’s why my thoughts turned to the wavy washer..

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

Did you buy a brand new genuine sram GXP BB?

I’ve had this a couple of years ago, there was a batch with slightly oversized bearings meaning there was slight play no matter what you did.

I replaced it with a Hope BB with their GXP adapter, no worries since. On another bike I run a Shimano Deore BB with a cheap GXP adapter (£2) off ebay and that is fine too.

Premier Icon joemmo
    Free Member

Odd. Any visible damage to the bolt, internal thread or axle you can see? Is there any dirt or obstruction inside the outer self-extractor part of the crank bolt that might be preventing it tightening fully?

Premier Icon frogstomp

Is the play side to side or is it the non-spindle arm rocking on the end of the axle? I had the latter after knackering the spindle threads – Loctite helped for a while but it would work it’s way loose again eventually.

Do you definitely have the correct BB spacers configuration for your BB shell width?

Premier Icon philstone

No obvious damage on the crank or spindle, other than some very light wear. BBs have always been Sram GXP team. Spacer in the BB has always been the same – 1 on the drive side (Ibis RipMo). The play is evident from both sides, when then crank is at 12 o’clock you can feel it moving towards the seat tube.

Premier Icon frogstomp

I’m pretty sure 73mm BB shell uses no spacers with GXP – see page 15.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.