Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • GX Eagle mech, alternatives
  • alan1977
    Free Member

So.. loooks like the clutch has gone on my mech, at 12-1300 miles wasn’t sure how to test so compared to my shimano 11 speed bikes, and it feels exactly the same as those with their clutches switched off

So, i need to replace it… Im done with Sram now.. the amount of fettling it needed and how quickly it has died means it isn’t getting replaced unless someone can convince me higher/new models are much better

so.. i’ve got a lot of 11 speed stuff, xt and slx

I’m guessing i cannot make a shimano 11 speed mech work with a 12 speed gx shifter? what about with a 12 speed shimano shifter?

my alternate options would be a shimano 12 speed mech and shifter..
    or a 3rd party 11 speed xd cassette (wide range) with an xt/slx mech/shifter

seadog101

Sunrace?
    Very happy with my MX mech (10,11,and 12 speed compatible), and a SunRace MZ 12 sp shifter on a Sunrace 12 cassette.

I did have the mech running nicely as 10 sp, with a Zee 10sp shifter, so seems OK with shimano pull ratios.

PS, it dud not work with Sram 10 sp shifters.

sillyoldman

12 speed Shimano mechs work with Sram shifters/cassettes.

joebristol

Just stick an slx or xt 12 speed mech on there. Same cassette and shifter as you’ve got now.

That said my GX mech is doing better than my xt mechs so far – I’ve had to clean the crap out the xt mech pivot a few times so far – and then one got snapped by a stick jumping up annoyingly.

The sram mech / shifter has a lighter action than the Shimano one too.

Kryton57

I replace mine with xt 12sp with the GX shifter and it works fine with much less fettling required.

Op if you want to fiddle again with a spare mech I have a GX with a slight bend in the cage and a missing B screw which you can have for spares – just cover the postage if you could.

susepic

Replaced an NX eagle w a SLX 12, no problems w shifter compatibility.
    SLX has required almost no adjustment and its been on for 18 months. The NX committed harikiri into the spokes after 9 months, and had needed constant finetuning prior to that.

thepurist

When I built MrsPs bike a while back I ordered the wrong xt 12sp mech so while I was waiting for the swap I stuck on an slx 11sp hoping she’d get at least some riding done. It worked absolutely fine so if you’ve got 11sp kit kicking about I’d give that a go first.

alan1977
    Free Member

cheers for the help guys, i had noticed the bike was a lot noisier than what i was accustomed to (banshee spitfire, from bird aeris 145) and thought i had sorted it yesterday when i realised i needed a lot more rebound damping up back.
    on inspecition last night i could see the chain had been attacking the CS at the pivot

@Kryton57
    Thanks for hte offer off the used GX mech, i fear id be second guessing it’s clutch…

Grabbed a never ridden deore 6100 mech from ebay I’m going to roll with, and maybe an Xt shifter in the future, as i prefer the ergonomics and multirealease

chakaping
    Free Member

I was gonna say try a Deore 12sp mech and report back.

🙂

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I had an eagle gx which got swapped for an SLX after a dog paw to rear wheel incident bent it. The SLX were cheaper and more readily available at the time than the gx but after a year of not a lot of miles I’m not that impressed with the shimano.

The pivots have all gone baggy and it no longer shifts from the top cog. I did do a clutch service in the hope that it might fix things but it hasn’t.

So a new gx was fitted yesterday which feels a lot better made than the shimano. Uri Geller would have a field day with the shimano cage.
    Not sure if XTs are any better? And like you I have had issues with sram clutches going slack in the past.

If this GX turns out to be poor I reckon I may give microshift 10 speed stuff a go. At least there’s more room for error if anything gets knocked out of line and it’s much cheaper to replace.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.