Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • GX eagle crank installation. not spinning freely
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hi!  i am trying to install a set of eagle GX cranks. Bikeshop installed the bb today for me as i didn’t have the tool. 73mm shell.

When i go to install the cranks to the required torque of 54Nm ! !!, the cranks dont spin freely at all. like they barely spin. I have to back the bolt of significantly to get them to spin (way under torque spec)

I have seen that the shop has installed a inner spacer on the NDS.

what gives?

Thanks!

alan1977
    Free Member

you wound hte preload out before tightening the stupid bolt?

ta11pau1

Make sure you’ve wound the preload adjuster all the way out before fitting to start with.

If you’ve done that, SRAM says 73mm bsa needs only spacers on the outside of the BB for all cranks – a 7.5mm spacer and a 3mm spacer for MTB ‘wide’ cranks, and just the a 4.5mm spacer for non ‘wide’ MTB cranks. So no inner spacers.

That’s on a SRAM dub BB though, what’s your actual BB model?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

By wide do you mean boost? I think they may have installed two spacers on the nds and one on the ds! Preload collar all the way out

ta11pau1

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/user-manuals/sram-mtb/drivetrain/dub-mtb-and-road-cranksets-and-bottom-brackets-user-manual-eeu.pdf

Have a look at that – it should be stamped ‘wide’ on the spindle if it is. It’ll have a longer spindle.

Regardless, if your BB is a SRAM dub 73mm BSA, there shouldn’t be any spacers between the BB shell and the frame, according to that chart.

Honestly, unless the bike shop charged pennies, it’s cheaper and easier to buy the tool, you can get them for under 10 quid.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers, great stuff. Sure i’ll be buy the tool, just that takes a few dayd to get and we are off riding for a week tomorrow.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.