Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • GX Eagle a pile of poo
  • tomaso
    Free Member

I have never had such a pile of poo set of gears as SRAM GX Eagle. They just seem to be impossible to index and run like a bag of spanners being dropped down the stairs.

Four months in and I am thinking of ditching it and replacing with Shimano SLX 11 speed.

Is it SRAM or me?

whitestone
    Free Member

Is your mech hanger straight? No point in even trying to index your gears if it isn’t.

Yak

It’s good imo and worth sticking with.
    Exact when sagged b screw and checking the hanger alignment make all the difference.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have swerved it myself on the basis that I know it would drive me up the wall.

Move to a 12sp Shimano shifter & mech?

teethgrinder

Cassette and chain are good so far, but running them with XX1 mech and shifter.

BoardinBob

Absolutely zero problems with my GX eagle. I have zero mechanical skill and I can get them indexed first time with no problems.

Sounds like something’s out of line on your bike

pickle
    Free Member

As above, never an issue with mine. Runs as smooth as silk

greyspoke
    Free Member

Or it could be the quality control or tolerances on the kit aren’t good enough? Mine appears to work well, but with an XT derailleur.

calv145
    Free Member

No problems once set up properly and then it doesn’t need touching in my experience. Myself and a friend have taken the time to set up properly and both like it. Another friend who is a serial tinkerer and doesn’t take the time to set it up properly hates it and is constantly adjusting things to get it working properly, which it never does, as it needs taking back to the start and doing properly.

Phil_H

When the shifting on my GX eagle set up turned to shit it turned out I’d bent a link in the chain.
    How I manged that I don’t know, probably a gear shift under load. A new chain and normal shifting was resumed.

ogden
    Free Member

I’ve never had an issues with GX Eagle myself.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m afraid I’m with the OP.

New it was sweet, beautiful group set, I didn’t know how much I missed the way SRAM gears bang down.

Within a few short, summer months it was ghost shifting, stuttering, lagging and generally being a sod. I changed the chain even though it really wasn’t worn and The cable which only helped so much. I’ve got the B screw guide and spent hours indexing it.

My mate’s was worse, on inspection then rivets that hold the mech together had quite a bit of slop in them, a new mech fixed his problems, but I’m not in the mood to replace mechs every 3 months to keep it running sweet.

I’ve decided that 12sp is just too much for something thst takes the sort of treatment that MTBs get, maybe a wider cassette with gaps more like 10sp would allow a bit more tolerance.

I’m going to keep an eye on how 12sp XT goes for other riders, I’ve got DT hubs so it’s a pretty easy conversion, but I’m tempted to go back to 11sp I’ll miss the big 50 winch gear, but I might live with it.

endomick
    Free Member

Durability is an issue with sram, how many people are running several year old sram compared to several year old shimano, I’ve seen ancient xt still going strong on the trails. And the price of their cassettes is ridiculous, even the basic pinned together ones have been well over the XT equivalent for years. The last time I used sram the shifter and mech destroyed itself and GXP was utter garbage too. Undercutting shimano with bike manufacturers then selling overpriced to the public in my opinion.

sam1988
    Free Member

I’ve had gx Eagle on two bikes now. It’s never been perfect even with lots of fettling and setting up. Some days it will be fine, others lots of clicking etc and poor shifting.
    5th gear on gx cassettes have a known problem with chain catching on one tooth causing an annoying click g g ich I’ve ground down
    Im waiting for the hope microsplibe freehub in January to give xt8100 a try

aazlad
    Free Member

GX has been working perfectly for me for two years. I lost the chain a few times but changing a worn chain ring solved that. When I did have indexing issues afeter a crash it was a bent hanger. Otherwise it’s been easy to set up and keep in trim.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I must be lucky! 3 sets on our bikes all running smoothly. 2 sets are over a year old and I’ve just adjusted cable tension and bought a new chain.

Only slight niggle on mine is the chain catches one of the teeth on one of the lower cogs every so often. That cassette has done quite a lot of mileage though to be fair.

nuke

Always had Shimano and, since getting my first bike with sram eagle, im not a convert but will persevere for now.

Whats the solution though… totally ditch sram or stick with sram cassette, chainring & chain and get Shimano 12speed mech & shifter?

solarider
    Free Member

I ran it for a while without issue. Never needed adjusting, sharp shifting, no complaints. I do suspect that all 12 speed is more susceptible to alignment, adjustment and set up. But if all of that is in good order it works well.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Have it on a few bikes works great the oldest is 5 years old and that one is use in the crap of winter that’s 11speed other bikes are 12 works smoother than 11 speed shimano single ring setup.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No issue with GX Eagle. Not quite as crisp as X01/XX1 but then I don’t expect it to be.

I wrecked an X01 mech recently and have an XTR shifter and mech to try. I feel that coupled with an XX1 cassette is probably the best option, no interest in Shimano cassettes as they are heavier, need a new free hub and can pretty much guarantee they won’t last as long as the steel sram versions which just have one Alu ring.

The most annoying thing I find about sram is the clutches go on the mechs.

jler1985

No problem with my gx eagle here. Been running for about a year and a half without any issues.

matt_outandabout

Is it SRAM or me?

It’s SRAM.

Ours was poop too. Mech that wobbled was a “feature” apparently. Shifter that allowed cable to jump out and the end cap wedge between mechanism and casing was ‘usual’. Multiple bolt sizes and head formats, of course.

We are a total Shimano household now across 7 bikes.

MARTINJ
    Free Member

I changed to a shimano xt 12 speed mech which is compatible, no need to change shifter etc and is a much better mech.

tomaso
    Free Member

It’s shifting ok now at the top of the cassette, but it struggles to drop down as though the spring is to weak to make it return. I’ve lubed and tried to make sure the pivots move freely. It’s a new cable and outer.

I ride in the Lakes and bumps and knocks were tolerated by my old SLX 11 speed. Perhaps GX 12 is just not fit for my purpose?

I might get lucky tomorrow going up and down Helvellyn twice and smash the shit out of it and I’ll be liberated!

Poopscoop

Gx on the fs and NX on the winter ht. Both work great. Set them up and that was it.

I do use a tool to check the mech hanger alignment though.😉

sam1988
    Free Member

Does anyone else’s gx set up drop the chain in yhr 50 tooth on back pedalling. First t130 didn’t do it, newer model I now have does

peter78
    Free Member

What is the shifter cable like?

tomaso
    Free Member

New shifter cable and freshly lived.

Northwind

I have it on 2 bikes, it’s great. No different to index than any other gears I’ve ever fitted and shifts better than most. I mean, presumably your second problem stems from the first.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s shifting ok now at the top of the cassette, but it struggles to drop down as though the spring is to weak to make it return

It’s too weak to overcome the probably bent pivot pins that are binding. We’ve sent 2 NX & 1 GX mechs for warranty replacement because of this.

mattbee

Been faultless on my wife’s bike since I fitted it last year.
    Minor glitch when she came off and rear mech took a whack but straightening the hanger has it running just fine again.

whatgoesup

I just noticed that the jockey wheels are narrow/wide – not sure if I lined mine up properly or not but I would assume it makes a difference to noise etc so worth checking.

chrismac

I’m with the strugglers on this. Had it 2 years now, 2nd mech, and it’s a pain. Get it working perfectly and within 3 rides its managed to mess itself up. In just waiting for the 12 speed shimano stuff to start coming through from the oem discounters  before switching

mboy
    Free Member

Is it SRAM or me?

It’s you.

GX Eagle is fantastic stuff, not being able to set it up correctly isn’t a fault of the groupset, more a fault of the person setting it up.

rickmeister

Yep, its you.
    GX 11 and Eagle working fine here for over 2 years. Meticulous set up and B screw adjustment then been faultless.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Even if it worked properly I’d never use it as I don’t understand how people think the shifters are ok? Compared to Shimano the upshift button just seems completely misplaced and hard to reach. Maybe it’s because of Shimano patent on the trigger shifter design?
    My previous bike had SRAM shifters and after a few months of trying to get used to them I switched to Shimano.
    Recently I wanted to buy a new bike but all the ones I was interested in had SRAM gears – grrrrr!
    So built a new bike with Shimano 11sp – works fantastically.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I have to agree, the actual user friendliness is poor compared to Shimano, you can’t block shift with Sram, can you?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Even if it worked properly I’d never use it as I don’t understand how people think the shifters are ok? Compared to Shimano the upshift button just seems completely misplaced and hard to reach.

Nope, quite the opposite in fact. Having been on SRAM probably for 6 years through 11 speed and 12, I’ve gone to Shimano mech and shifter on Sram cassette.

The Shimano shifter ergonomics are shyte.

It’s almost impossible to use your thumb to shift down the cassette as the button is tucked too far round and high to get to. So I have to shift with my forefinger the other way, which is really annoying as I cover the brakes when racing.

Hopefully I’ll get used to it, but not impressed thus far, even if it shifts nicely.

bob_summers

Just bought some (attached to a scandal 29) – last group set was X9 triple so… what’s a clutch and do I need to do anything with it?

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s almost impossible to use your thumb to shift down the cassette as the button is tucked too far round and high to get to

Eh? I’ve Shimano XT I-spec shifters on my bikes and the down shift lever is in the perfect position for my thumb to engage with and the upshift is perfect for the index finger.

Note that I’ve never used a Sram drivetrain so don’t know how it compares to Shimano. Not active avoidance on my part, I’ve just never had chance or taken the opportunity to ride a bike with Sram.

@bob_summers
    – the clutch is a mechanism in the rear mech that aims to prevent chain slap and drop. On Shimano mechs there’s a lever just above the jockey arm that’s either on or off. That’s it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘GX Eagle a pile of poo’ is closed to new replies.