• This topic has 31 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by paton.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Guy Martin’s Great Escape
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Anybody else watch this?
    I thought it was well done, funny and not to much repetition (for once)
    9/10

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I enjoyed it. Much better than the fastest tractor a few weeks ago.

Harry_the_Spider

Enjoyed that. Repeatedly hitting his head on the bars looked uncomfortable.

theotherjonv

I quite enjoyed it, but winced every time he smashed his face into the stem on landing. Why? – I get that a head plus helmet is heavy but motoX riders don’t do it, it wasn’t a feature of the White Helmets display team I saw at Armed Forces Day – has he just got a ridiculously spindly neck?

Josef stole the show for me, and his digger mate.

Yak

The landing looked very flat. I think where they were aiming for prior to the other farmer’s fence appearing would have given a bit of a downslope.
    Yeah, good show.

Speeder

I though it was great. Mainly because it didn’t have the annoying repeat everything after every add break for those with short attention spans. The jump ended up probably being the least interesting aspect of the whole project with the anticlimactic OK that’s done, lets go home feel of it butthe history and background to the great escape was fascinating.

sharkbait
    Free Member

winced every time he smashed his face into the stem on landing. Why?

Yep, probably the landing zone was different to what he was used to and just didn’t have time to get used to it.

I liked the way that the jump was almost secondary to the whole history of the camp/escape.

Tenuous link…..
    The father [Ken Rees] of my cousins’ ex-husband was the last guy out of the tunnel. It was mentioned that Steve McQueens character (the ‘cooler king’) was based on him – but he denied it saying that the only thing he had in common with the character was that he frequently managed to piss the guards off a subsequently spent a considerable amount of time in the cooler!!

This is way better than the bloke in this article, though, who didn’t take part in the escape and [as we now know after the program last night] wasn’t even there as the Americans had all been moved to a different part of the camp!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is way better than the bloke in this article, though, who didn’t take part in the escape and [as we now know after the program last night] wasn’t even there as the Americans had all been moved to a different part of the camp!

Altho his circumstances were a bit more complicated as he’d joined the Canadian air force and fought for Britain flying spitfires long before the Americans joined the war. So it’s entirely plausible he may have been in the camp long before an American section and have subsequently been kept in the British section as a British/Canadian pilot, so who knows.

I thought it was good, but strange that a neighbor suddenly erected a fence to stop them using his land and the final jump was a total anticlimax.

dovebiker

I fell asleep….I once spent a very enjoyable afternoon with Bud Ekins at a friend’s barbecue many years ago. Bud Ekins was Steve McQueens stunt double – proper old Hollywood guy – used to spend his summers here in the UK to get away from smoggy LA.

maxtorque

You’d have thought that Guy has a bit of jumping experience from his MTB outting surely?

Must be easier to jump a massive crosser than some spindly little mountain bike that bucks you OTB at the drop of a hat surely?

He also seemed to have managed to mostly get over his habbit of saying everything twice

He also seemed to have managed to mostly get over his habbit of saying everything twice

sharkbait
    Free Member

“smells of hospital already”

alpin
    Free Member

That was shit….

In fact, I find most Guy Martin shows a bit shit. Poor planning and organisation always leaves them having to wait muddle through…. They didn’t know where they could jump /land.

They used water bottles in the gravity racer and chose a twisty road… And had to go all the way to France.

Meh. Meh.

zippykona

The jump was disappointing but the rest of it was interesting.
    Still waiting for him to ride his Enfield back from India.

robbo1234biking

I think the issue with this one was that the challenge wasn’t really that hard. I’m not saying that I could do it but plenty on here could and it is is pretty small compared to most Mx riders.

kilo

He was probably trying to get some incarceration tips prior to his trial in January.

mrmoofo

It went on for way to long…. I was bored by the last 30 minutes.
    The jump was fine…
    The narrator needs to be shot … always on channel 4 , making everything sound “absolutely sensational”. He is like listen to Smashey and Nicey ….

ayjaydoubleyou

You’d have thought that Guy has a bit of jumping experience from his MTB outting surely?

Must be easier to jump a massive crosser than some spindly little mountain bike that bucks you OTB at the drop of a hat surely?

I would have thought that too, and a logical place to start jumping lessons. Though he likes endurance races and wilderness rides on the Five; He’s probably never ridden a berm or jump in his life

As they said Triumph in every sentence, I guess Hinkley were paying for (some of) this, and they would rather have kept it petrol powered.

They possibly let slip that the MX bike was a Honda once, but the triumph was always called the triumph.

sharkattack

In fact, I find most Guy Martin shows a bit shit

It’s because he’s got some kind of vague charisma and people seem to like him but the producers have no idea what to do with him.

alpin
    Free Member

but the producers have no idea what to do with him.

Yup…. And he says yes to far too many ideas….

kayak23

A lot of faff to just jump over some polystyrene logs on a bike that was bugger all like the original. Meh..

unovolo
    Free Member

I reckon the Pro MX guy could have rocked up on a clapped out C90 and cleared that with zero pre amble.

I echo the sentiment that in the end the jump was least interesting bit, thought the bit about the Memorial to the 50 escapees that were gunned down was quite poignant especially when you found at the POW Camp Boss paid for it out of his own money, humanises the Germans from that era a bit more.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Bit of a boy McQueen back in the day. You won’t get bored of this:

Houns

A bit more

brakes
    Free Member

After the injuries he sustained in 2015, I expect everyone (including him) is nervous that any soft crash will snap something that will disable him. They’re not too bothered about him cracking his head on the bars as his brain is already mostly porridge.
    Mind you, he was worried about snapping his Rourke hardtail going off a little ramp.

timbog160

I quite enjoyed it – jump itself seemed a bit lame – I love that bike though and would deffo have one if Triumph put it into production…

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

weeksy

Due to weight distribution, engine configurations, momentum of cranks and spinning engines etc, MTB and motorbikes jump completely differently. The only familiar feeling would be having handlebars..

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin’s Great Escape’ is closed to new replies.