Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gutting a house: a market for sash windows / old bathrooms + kitch / cheap rads?
  • Markie
    Free Member

Our existing house is set to be gutted and then put back together.

Is there a market for old (and somewhat knackered) sash windows, for old 1980s bathrooms suites or a 1990s kitchen suite? For cheap flat radiators? For a wood built conservatory with double glazed windows? If no cash market, how to hook up with people who might just want them?

I’m guessing not, but thought I’d ask anyhow! If there is, how do you go about passing these things on? I’m not fussed about making money on them if they’re worth nothing, but equally don’t want handing them on to someone else to cost me money in taking them out or whatever…

Thanks

TooTall
    Free Member

Freecycle

Gumtree

eBay

stevied
    Free Member

Use the kitchen cupboards in your man-cave?

Markie
    Free Member

Liking the man cave idea!

My concern with Freecycle is to do with getting the windows out – I suppose I need to speak to our builders about the cost of pulling these bits out in a usable way and then see about shifting them on…

Hooter
    Free Member

Put the stuff in a skip and see what happens? We just gutted our bathroom. I checked out ebay but it didn’t look like it was worth the time and effort selling the old stuff as 2nd hand it goes for peanuts. We had a skip next to the road and within 20 mins of the bath/taps/screen etc going in there some blokes rocked up in a van and asked if we minded if they took the lot – which we didn’t at all. Can’t imagine old sashes are worth re-using by anyone tho, there’s bound to be some rotting wood somewhere in them – there was lots in ours when we replaced them.

spchantler
    Free Member

i’ll take the kitchen cabinets….moving into a house that needs a temporary kitchen while i convert the cellar…

Markie
    Free Member

Wallingford, Oxfordshire way if you’re keen…

spchantler
    Free Member

sorry too far, west yorks, ta tho! 😀

globalti
    Free Member

DON’T DUMP RADIATORS and old taps. Fill the car and drive to your nearest scrap metal dealer. You will be asked to remove all the non-ferrous stuff, which will be weighed and a ticket issued. Then they’ll send you across the weighbridge with the steel, which you’ll throw out in a heap and go over the weighbridge again. You’ll be astonished at what you get for it all in cash, especially any brass or copper. If you take a copper HW cylinder chip off all the insulation foam first or they will give you a much lower rate for it, which reflects not the weight difference but the cost of removing the foam themselves.

If you were feeling, er, naughty you might overlook a few litres of water inside the cylinder.. each litre weighs one kilo remember…..

duffle
    Free Member

As Globalti^^^^…..lead weighs in the sash windows ££

29erKeith
    Free Member

Scrap metal from my small cottage renovation was £700 when all weighed in 8) Loads of rubbish steel\cast from the garden, complete rewire, re-plumb, old door handles hinges etc etc and a few bits of lead from the roof round a chimney that was removed.

While it was looking like a building site I lost count of the number of the number of guys who offered to take any metal away for free for me, like it was some massive favour.

keep metal well out of sight though if you want to do that or it’ll be gone, they’re always on the lookout

29erKeith
    Free Member

oh and sash weights and pulleys too

29erKeith
    Free Member

cylinders were a flat rate where I went, one price for clean one price for foam on

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks all, scrap accumulation will be the name of the game!

totalshell

scrap metal is not as simples as it was.. you wont get 4.5 a kilo for water anymore for starters.. you ll have to have photo id and a utility bill and be paid by cheque.

but yes a kilo here and there adds up a kilo of misc stell ( rads bikes etc) is 14p a kilo of brass ( your radiator valves bath /sink taps) is £4 I/ve sold a core drill for over a fiver before ( electric motor) so any things worth having even cut the electric cables from your old appliances etc and you get £3 a kilo plastic inc.

totalshell

scrap metal is not as simples as it was.. you wont get 4.5 a kilo for water anymore for starters.. you ll have to have photo id and a utility bill and be paid by cheque.

but yes a kilo here and there adds up a kilo of misc stell ( rads bikes etc) is 14p a kilo of brass ( your radiator valves bath /sink taps) is £4 I/ve sold a core drill for over a fiver before ( electric motor) so any things worth having even cut the electric cables from your old appliances etc and you get £3 a kilo plastic inc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i took mine to the large scrap dealer in town and got 180 quid cash for an old cylinder , a 3 bed house worth of copper pipe with brass fittings , 4-5 couple of radiators , an old alternator , some cable , a pump and an old boiler and an accumulator.

was happy with that for an hours work loading it into the van.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gutting a house: a market for sash windows / old bathrooms + kitch / cheap rads?’ is closed to new replies.