Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Gutted – cracked Stans rim :(
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Tried to inflate a tyre this arvo to no avail, 20mm fold and crack on the rim. Whats the cheapest option, new wheel and flog hub or new rim and shop rebuild?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Do a rim swap yourself and take it to your local bike shop to get it finished off.

Coyote
    Free Member

What Neil said. Old rim off, new one on. Get it as “right” as you can and then take to LBS for final true and tension.

Welcome to one of the most therapeutic activities for the cold, dark winter evenings.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Cheapest place for 32h stans flow rim?

singlespeedstu

Buy new rim.
    Tape new rim to old rim.
    Move spokes across from old hub and rim to new rim.
    Use frame/fork as a jig to true it all up.

Try to do something without having to ask daft questions about it on STW first. 😉

Simon

Probably cheaper to by a new wheel and sell the old hub tbh.

campkoala
    Free Member

cheapest option would be to contact the shop you bought them from and enquire about warranty and see how that goes.
    But, why not just run it with a tube? sorry, you haven’t been very clear about what sort of crack it is and where abouts on the rim?
    I’ve had mavic rims that developed cracks and ridden them for years aferwards without the crack getting any worse if that’s any help?

cheapest replacement option has gotta be as Neil says above unless you can find a complete wheel super cheap and someone willing to pay over the odds for your used s/h hub.

drofluf
    Free Member

Sure it’s not a sticker? 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

It is on the base of the bead about 20mm is long. Looks like a big ding has cracked it through. Will ask 18bikes about options but cannot see why it would be a warranty issue. I will chuck a tube in for now but surely it is a real weak spot

legend
    Free Member

Whats the cheapest option

fire an innertube in and forget all about it

legend
    Free Member

Whats the cheapest option

fire an innertube in and forget all about it

Houns

And don’t forget to take the old rim to the scrap yard for a few pence worth of scrap metal robtoe 😛

campkoala
    Free Member

difficult to say from your description alone, but still worth a try, you never know, stans may offer a reduced price for a replacement?
    plus, someone at the bike shop may be able to give you a better idea of how dodgy (or not) it is to run with a tube.
    even if you put detailed pics up here the advice will be dubious at best.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Houns, NO!

He’ll only post “what scrapyard for the best price on my 450gm of aluminium”

Houns

He he 😆

Ah we luvs ya Rob xxx

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Lol pair of ****

br
    Free Member

I will chuck a tube in for now but surely it is a real weak spot

Ok, but don’t come on here a complain when you’ve lost teeth (or the like) when it goes ‘bang’.

I’d be swapping it straight out for a spare asap.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It is not a warrenty issue , 18 bikes might reply when they get up off the floor laughing.

Is a function of tire pressure not product defect.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My olympics are a little cracked, stan’s fills it OK, but I had thought of using bathroom sealant fi it didn’t.

You can buy that shit for £1.99 in ASDA Rob?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Trail rat hence why I said I cant see why it would be a warranty issue….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Gutted – cracked Stans rim :(’ is closed to new replies.