• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by thv3.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gusset ceramic EXT bottom bracket worth £20 more over the standard?
  • Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

I’m looking at getting one of these – does anyone have any experience of how they compare to the normal ones in real usage?

I’ve always used Shimano bottom brackets and while they take around a year to die I find they get rusty and stiff quite quickly. I know I could get 3 Shimano bottom brackets for the same price off the Germans but the rest of the bike is really low maintenance so something longer lasting and with replaceable standard bearings interests me.

Interested in this too, I like the idea of being able to replace the bearings, not constantly landfilling the whole thing.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’ve not used the ceramic one but the standard one is very good. Replacing the bearings is very easy and they’re standard sizes, but, you do need to be careful not to damage the tophat and they’re not available separately (Token ones also fit mind)

(or alternatively you can be like me, and damage the tophat but not really care)

limkilde

No there is no gain in using ceramic bearing.
    Maybe for pros but that’s it
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/friction-facts-measuring-bottom-bracket-drag-39233/
    But buy a good quality bb with stainless bearing and give them some grease 2-3 times a year and they will last much longer

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

No real benefit in using ceramic

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

OK cheers guys sounds like the standard one will do the job.

thv3

Also looking at one of these, but see there is a needle bearing version too?

Worth getting, or stick with the standard?

thv3

bump ❓

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gusset ceramic EXT bottom bracket worth £20 more over the standard?’ is closed to new replies.