Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Gumtree – a more wretched hive of scum and villainy
  • Riksbar

Just had a stolen bike turn up 100 miles away for a swap on Gumtree. Police informed but they are apparently having problems getting Gumtree to release the user’s details. Anyone had nay luck with getting stuff recovered in this situation?

For what it’s worth the insurance company have replaced the bikes stolen so the bile belongs to them to them but I’d like to see the fence lose out as much as possible.

TheFlyingOx

Police informed but they are apparently having problems getting Gumtree to release the user’s details

Jesus Tapdancing Christ!

Is there actually any kind of entrance requirement to be a copper, other than being a mouth-breathing retard? If they can’t figure out that the “seller” on Gumtree will probably have posted some contact details, then I doubt they’ll have the nous to work out who might have gone round and reclaimed the bike with extreme prejudice. On you go.

womble72
    Free Member

Also you might want to help those on here by telling us what bike it is and it’s advertised location. Bike sales can happen quickly and I’d hate someone on here (or anywhere) to purchase stolen goods.

Riksbar

Good point, it’s a Patriot 66 in Mansfield. The guy is looking for a swap as a means to launder the hot bike.

Don’t want to say any more yet a the police are supposedly on it.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for you. Your a lot more controlled than i would be (which is the right way to be) 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

There’s a number on the ad, is it worth a phone call saying you want to come look at it, to see if you can get an address?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

get mates, say you want to buy bike, go to collect beat man with bike to he wets him self, job done

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

RealMan
    Free Member

to-may-to
    to-mah-to

boxelder

Sage words SbyZ

irc

“An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind”

The alternative just leaves the victims blind.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Arrange to go see it. Phone the police on route and tell then you are doing so and its likely to kick off. Preventing a violent offence is a much higher priority than pursuing an old theft. My officers have posed as buyers and turned up to seize stolen bikes and arrest the seller, but sadly cycle crime is not a priority, and when I’ve got 9 officers covering a city of 150,000 we usually struggle to cover immediates let alone get to play detective.

And I can breath through my nose fine thanks, ox.

kimbers

police were beyond useless when my stolen camera turned upon ebay, despite my having the serial number,recept etc

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

get mates, say you want to buy bike, go to collect beat man with bike to he wets him self, job done

Real situation does not in any way turn out quite Internet Keyboard Warrior imagines, scrote is tooled up, someone gets stabbed and hurt or possbly even killed. Over a bicycle…

If you’re going to talk about using violence, then at least understand how that world works first, before you get involved.

If you don’t have the balls to go round yourself, and claim your own property, then leave it to the police. Otherwise all you are is a cowardly thug, which is somewhat worse than a bicycle thief.

ivantate
    Free Member

Pity I am away this week, that’s reasonable local. I could of done my bit for the ‘big society’ by saving the donut boys some overtime and you some petrol and quite enjoyed myself while doing so.

Nice to see it has turned up, pity there is unlikely to be any justice for you or the insurance company.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

i would be going tooled up to the hilt mate so don’t worry. Some one would very likely knifed or bashed round the head with a hammer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – Member
    Arrange to go see it. Phone the police on route and tell then you are doing so and its likely to kick off. Preventing a violent offence is a much higher priority than pursuing an old theft. My officers have posed as buyers and turned up to seize stolen bikes and arrest the seller, but sadly cycle crime is not a priority, and when I’ve got 9 officers covering a city of 150,000 we usually struggle to cover immediates let alone get to play detective.

Is this std Police advice?

Northwind

crashtestmonkey – Member

Arrange to go see it. Phone the police on route and tell then you are doing so and its likely to kick off.

Now would that recorded call to the police not be a bit inconvenient if it subsequently does kick off?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is this std Police advice?

The police are giving advice on STDs now? 😯

Jeeze, these cuts are hitting hard….

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

man: Ive got some chav **** robbing my house
    police: well were really busy at the moment, we will be there in the next few hours

5 min later

man: Dont worry about it mate i shot one of them dead with a cross bow and the other one is bleeding to death on my front lawn.
    police: well be right there!

andrewh
    Free Member

True storey Jump,
    Friend of a friend saw someone rumaging in his shed, phoned local police, told no-one in the area. Called back a minute later and said don’t worry I’ve shot them.
    Armed response in 3 minutes flat!
    Personally in this situation I would arrange a viewing, verify frame number, if you are certain it is yours go for test ride and not return. If he want’s a deposit to stop you just riding off with it leave him your car-keys (can probably get some free if you ask nicely at the local scrappy) Then report to police and keep pestering them until he is dealt with.

cynic-al
    Free Member

JUAD you’d be happy to see your tax bill sky-rocket so the police have resources to send out to 999s for burglaries?

Or are you the sort that whines about how much tax you pay?

🙄

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

JUAD you’d be happy to see your tax bill sky-rocket so the police have resources to send out to 999s for burglaries?

Or are you the sort that whines about how much tax you pay?

if catch some one in my house i wolnt bother the police.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Treyster
    Free Member

Gumtree – Recovered!

I’ve had my bike stolen twice and it has been recovered twice. The first time it was stolen, the thieves advertised it on eBay. It was part of a scam run by a local bike shop in Merton SW London. The return of the bike was delayed because eBay played silly buggers and would not help the police (They say they will law enforcement officers on their website. In my experience this is BS as they hindered the case and dragged it out for 4 weeks).

I worked with the local police and eventually the bike was recovered and the bike shop’s eBay account was closed down. The second time the bike was stolen, it turned up on Gumtree. I called the police took a screen print of the add. The police called the number in the add. The guy was known to the police already so they picked it up within 48hrs.

The key to getting the bike returned is calling the police in the area that it is advertised. It helps if you have pictures that clearly identify the bike, ideally with you in them. Try to get a name of a detective and email him or her. Take a screen print of the add and the URL and email them. You need to be pro-active, effectively give them a clear lead and spoon feed them and you should get the bike back. It worked for me twice!

The other thing I did was to place a counter add. Copy the item description and post an add explaining that your bike has been stolen, it has been advertised by such and such in this number and ask them to ring him! ebay pulled my counter add but Gumtree didn’t

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The other thing I did was to place a counter add. Copy the item description and post an add explaining that your bike has been stolen, it has been advertised by such and such in this number and ask them to ring him! ebay pulled my counter add but Gumtree didn’t

I’m trying to work out how this helps?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

cynic-al

have fun living under ur middle class rock

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ha ha jump, is that your best response?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

na mate im not arguing with you, but ill ask you this if you found some on in ur house wat would you do? let them take youre stuff rape youre wife etc or deal with it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If being middle class equates to non violence I’m ok with that.

Thing is the proportion of burglaries that are violent is tiny. In most cases the perp will run. Your Daily Mail view is fantasy.

When were you last in a fight?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Gumtree – a more wretched hive of scum and villainy’ is closed to new replies.